PDA

View Full Version : Berkley Fireline???

freebird052802
March 1st, 2007, 07:27 PM
Anyone use Fireline?
I used it a little at the end of last year.
Someone told me it will break a little easier around wood and rock. Is this true?
Nate

Brown Hornet
March 3rd, 2007, 05:46 PM
I have never found that to be true.

eddie lee
March 3rd, 2007, 06:27 PM
Nate,

It's absolutely true, I do quite a bit of tournament bass fishing in the Great Lakes and Smallmouth bass are the ones to go after here, all we target are rock piles, as that's where the bass are. Fireline is the mainstay for my partner because he loves the sensitivity of it. It's head and shoulders above monafilamnet in that department, but it has no stretch and he reties often because of breaks in the rocks.

Monafilament has better shock and abrasion qualities, but not as much sensitivity. You also want to consider water clarity, because if it's real clear the fish will see the Fireline easier. Bass usually hit pretty aggressively and the stretch you get with monafilament coupled with the correct rod will aid in more hook sets and less misses.

Bottom line is, it's a personal choice and they each have to be fished totally different because of their differences.

Again, to answer your main question, Fireline will break more often than regular monafilament in rocks and wood. Hope this helps!

Eddie

Paul S.
March 3rd, 2007, 07:18 PM
Eddie lee hit it on the head, I use Fireline on my spinning rods and I use about a 5' florocarbon leader ahead of it for abrasion resistance. I find that in clear water like we have here on Erie, that fish shy away from the dark color of Fireline so thats another good reason for the floro leader. Theres a new Fireline out called Fireline Crystal, which is clear, but I would still go with a leader.:)

freebird052802
March 3rd, 2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys for taking the time to go into detail and explain your opinions.
I dont fish a lot of rock, but I do fish a lot of wood and grass.
I am fishing some tournaments and there is too much on the line to take chances.
Thanks again.
Nate

mathews93
April 1st, 2008, 11:58 PM
i dont know if its old line or what but i hate that $^$#

Paul S.
April 2nd, 2008, 12:05 AM
i dont know if its old line or what but i hate that $^$#

I can tell you this, I've been fishing it for a few years now, and I've never broke it on a fish. I've had the leader snap right at the knot, but never the Fireline. Another cool thing about it is, it last a long time. Normally with mono line, I'd change it 2 times a season at least. The Fireline on my spinning reels are going on thier 3rd seasons.:wink:

flntknp17
April 2nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
I am a huge fireline fan! All my spinning reels have fireline on them and I will not change as long as its available! It is so sensitive and for most of the fishing I do thats paramount (walleyes mostly). It does not have the abrasion resistance of some other lines I have tried, but overall when you add everything up its better all a round than any other line I know for spinning reels. I prefer braids on casting reels though.

Matt

2arrow1
April 6th, 2008, 10:02 PM
i do a lot of ratin(fishing grass mats)all my partner & i use is fireline 30# in yellow for visiblity.never broke a fish of even with 20#weed ball around him.thats the only time i use it is on the grass mats.

forgeguy
April 6th, 2008, 11:06 PM
just spooled up the cardinal 3 with fresh fireline.took
32 walleyes this weekend

forge

ratliffc
April 8th, 2008, 12:17 AM
i hate it trying to catch big fish. I have it break a lot. I had 20 lb fireline on a rod for catfishing. Get fish anywhere from 20-40lbs and it seemed like it broke all the time getting it out of rod holders and setting hooks, in fact I almost through the pole out of the boat one night. I had some 17lb monofilament in the boat reriged and still have the 17lb test on today. It doesn't break like the 20 lb fireline did. I will never spend another penny on it.

Brown Hornet
April 9th, 2008, 10:39 AM
i hate it trying to catch big fish. I have it break a lot. I had 20 lb fireline on a rod for catfishing. Get fish anywhere from 20-40lbs and it seemed like it broke all the time getting it out of rod holders and setting hooks, in fact I almost through the pole out of the boat one night. I had some 17lb monofilament in the boat reriged and still have the 17lb test on today. It doesn't break like the 20 lb fireline did. I will never spend another penny on it.

Sounds to me like it is your knot slipping....what kind of knot are you tying?

flntknp17
April 10th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Also, remember that Fireline does not stretch like mono........so there is no need to go crazy on hooksets, even with big hooks and big fish. It is pretty tough to break heavier mono because it stretches so much.

Matt

hypovolemicshok
April 12th, 2008, 12:54 PM
i do a lot of ratin(fishing grass mats)all my partner & i use is fireline 30# in yellow for visiblity.never broke a fish of even with 20#weed ball around him.thats the only time i use it is on the grass mats.

That's where I usually use it. It is very abrassion resistant. I tried to cut it with a normal scissors once. Took longer than I anticipated.

Bowtech717
April 17th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I've had pretty good luck with fireline over 10 pound test, but anything less seems to cost me alot of money in lost lures. We usually use 14 pound fireline in canada for pike and it works like a charm up there, but i'll never forget the day my friend lost all of his spinners (and another 4 or 5 of mine) when we were trout fishing with 4 pound fireline. So in my opinion, if you're gonna use it, make sure it's atleast over 10lb test.

VThokie10
April 18th, 2008, 10:55 AM
i use it only when crankin' for large- and smallmouth. as said before, if you get around rocks watch out, not had much trouble around wood though. i use 14-20 lb and check my line often for knicks while fishing. if you get a lure stuck, just say bye bye and cut the line.

AlphaDelta
April 25th, 2008, 01:48 AM
I've had pretty good luck with fireline over 10 pound test, but anything less seems to cost me alot of money in lost lures. We usually use 14 pound fireline in canada for pike and it works like a charm up there, but i'll never forget the day my friend lost all of his spinners (and another 4 or 5 of mine) when we were trout fishing with 4 pound fireline. So in my opinion, if you're gonna use it, make sure it's atleast over 10lb test.

i'll second that!

WA-blacktail
April 25th, 2008, 02:46 AM
I have used it for years for steelhead fishing. Bobber and jig. Floats for line mending, no stretch. I do use a mono leader below the in-line weight. It does fray with age, but I have never had it break. Hope this helps.

MNmike
May 6th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I'm not a fireline user. I like PowerPro.

I know for a fact that if the line even slightly touches a downrigger cable, it will cut it or greatly weaken it.

So now you can make the determination on rocks.

Different lines for different situations. (excuse for more tackle):wink:

johnnyv917
July 22nd, 2009, 09:31 AM
i use 6 lb fireline jiggin for walleyes in detroit river thin diameter cuts through water easy to keep jig vertical and it has great sensitivity and hard hook sets ...must tie a palomar knot when using fireline i dont use fireline for perch or crappie

podunk65
July 27th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I wont use anything but fireline. I have brought branches out of the water. I fished clear water and rocks. when i have done that other guys were using mono and spider wire. needless to say i out fished them.:teeth:

bullelk1
July 27th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I fish 30# fireline with a 14# fluorcarbon leader for steelhead in the Salmon River. The area I fish is extremely rocky, and it is rare that I lose a fish because the fireline abraids and breaks. The mono might break on occasion.

jdamet
July 29th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I started out using spider wire fusion. I love that stuff! I still have one pole with it on. Spider wire doesnt make it anymore so I bought some fireline. Great stuff. I have had it an a few poles for a couple of years now and it is still as strong as the day I put it on. I use it aroung rocks, trees, in spillways, and never had a fraying problem. I tell everyone of my friends to get it!