PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fly fish for trout?

clhunter
March 11th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Was wondering if anyone here fly fishes for trout. I am in Westerm Wa and I am lookng for some new places to go. Anywhere within 8 hrs is good:darkbeer:

jagerace
March 11th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Just got back from a trip to southern Missouri. Went all weekend, caught 5 or 6 dozen on dry flies. Had a blast!:darkbeer:

Josh

mangler
March 12th, 2007, 07:31 AM
You should check out central oregon. I have fly fished all over it and the cascades. Probably my favorite place is Davis lake. it's catch and release only for trout but you'll get some monsters out of it. Make sure you take some bass fly with you, in the mid 80's someone dumped some bass in it and now they are just huge, there is no limit on them as the state wants them gone. It is a fly fish only lake as well. feel free to PM me if you have any questions about it or anywhere else in Oregon.

troutmadness
March 13th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I'm not sure how far a drive it would be, but the Idaho's Frank church wilderness offers some spectacular fishing in the high mountain lakes for cutt's and also the salmon river is excellent for steelhead in the fall as well.

**Frost Bite**
March 14th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I do on the trout steams of Pa!!!

Joel C
March 14th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Anywhere in the Wallowa mountains of Oregon are great for trout fishing...Thanks to my grandfather I didnt pick up any other fishing other than a fly rod until my mid 20's. My family used to camp yearly on the Lostine River. There are many lakes nearby for a day hike and fishing is almost always good in the summer time.

mangler
March 14th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Anywhere in the Wallowa mountains of Oregon are great for trout fishing...Thanks to my grandfather I didnt pick up any other fishing other than a fly rod until my mid 20's. My family used to camp yearly on the Lostine River. There are many lakes nearby for a day hike and fishing is almost always good in the summer time.

Yeah, what he said. Another thing you could do is swing by your local fly shop and check out some of the books written by local anglers on places to go. Next thing you know you'll be having a custom made bamboo rod built for you and you'll be out every weekend exploring.

Tight Lines

doctariAFC
March 14th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Caught on a twin egg sperm fly, orange color, last Feb. If the tribs aren't blown out this weekend, I'll be hitting them for more action!!

Dropzone2006
March 14th, 2007, 05:50 PM
wow nice fish:darkbeer:

andrewhove
March 14th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I love to fly fish for trout but unfortunateley I live in central North Carilina. Not many trout in this part of the state. I took a trip to bowzeman montana this summer. It was awsome. fished the madison, Missourie, and slough creek. All highly recomended. If you like to backpack too Slough creek is perfect.

jagerace
March 19th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Caught this sight fishing at Bennet Springs this Sunday. Tokk 30 min to get it to finally hit. Theres nothin like sight fishin for trout, great times.

Josh

Yellowfin
March 20th, 2007, 11:47 AM
I've fished in Montana and New Mexico and it is the most beautiful form of fishing I've ever experienced. I'll second the Madison as being an awesome river, and also the Clark and Yellowstone. I'll likely be fishing in California and Nevada next year.

clhunter
March 20th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I have taken some summer trips over to Montana it is probably my favorite place Wish i could afford to go more. Looks like I will have to try and make some trips to Oregon soon. Thanks for the info guys

mangler
March 23rd, 2007, 06:23 AM
clhunter, let me know when you head into oregon. might be able to hook up with you and show you some good spots. PM me if you want.

tight lines.

Matt / PA
March 23rd, 2007, 08:21 AM
I was a full time Fly fishing trout bum guide from 1995 until 1999. I've guided in SW Montana, Yellowstone area as well as the Upper Delaware river system in NY. But I've also been lucky enough to fish some of the best waters in the US in places like WY, ID, UT, SD, MT and of course all of the famous streams and rivers here in my home state of PA.

Been flyfishing since the age of 9. Tie all of my own flies, and even snuck a picture of myself fishing the Madison River in Montana into the 1996 Orvis catalog. (see below)

(Now that you mention it I'll be out on Tuesday chasing some early season BWO action here in PA:) )

doctariAFC
March 26th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Got out yesterday. Despite many of the streams here being blown out by the run-off and heavy rains of late, I did manage to find one stream which was gin clear and very fishable.

Ended up landing two nice 'bows. Not monsters by any stretch but decent fish. Fell for the orange twin egg sperm fly.

OkStateBow
March 26th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I do quite a bit of fly fishing for trout. There is nothing like it. I used to be a pretty hardcore bass fisherman, but that has since changed since a buddy introduced me to the joys of fly fishing. The bass gear seems to collect more dust than anything now. I do a lot of fishing on Lake Taneycomo near Branson. I try to get on some stream trout every now and then as well.

IBDBOSS
March 26th, 2007, 06:28 PM
matt/pa,
Is that picture in Utah? It looks like the Provo river a little bit.

No.1 Hoyt
March 26th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I fly fish for bluegill, bass, and some times an accidental crappie. I recently tied a batch of bass flies. This summer I will go flyfishing for trout at Meramac in Mo. I went to Tanycomo near Branson,Mo but didnt catch anything flyfishing is fun.:)

jagerace
March 26th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Work on the Branson Landing for a month last summer. Everyday after work I went to the hotel room for a shower and then shot right over to Taneycomo. Got in real tight with the guy that owns the fly and Archery shop, also the local guide. He showed me a few things and now I fish that place like a local. I try to get down there at least a few times a year.

Josh

Matt / PA
March 28th, 2007, 07:06 PM
matt/pa,
Is that picture in Utah? It looks like the Provo river a little bit

Nope, that was taken from "$3 Dollar Bridge" over the lower Madison River in Montana.

The picture was taken by Andy Anderson and was one of the featured pictures in the 1996 Orvis Catalog. I have a beautiful 8X10" of it at home. It's my absolute favorite picture.

doctariAFC
April 2nd, 2007, 11:28 AM
Area tribs are stacked with fish right now.

Got this 7lb female on the twin-egg sperm fly. Good tussle...