PDA

View Full Version : Is PA's turkey season too late?

TopOfFoodChain
March 12th, 2007, 04:38 PM
It seems to me like our spring gobbler season here in PA starts way too late. IMO I think it is. The past few years I've noticed that our season starts after the peek of the breeding. By mid season, it's like the birds don't even hear you calling most of the time. I just wanted to see what others thought/experienced. P.S. This isn't to start a PA Game Commission bashing.

JimPic
March 12th, 2007, 04:49 PM
I think it'd be nice if it started earlier,but we still kill alot of birds in the spring.The last numbers I found was for 2005 and almost 39,000 birds were tagged in the spring

Viper69
March 12th, 2007, 04:59 PM
yes !!!

mathewsk
March 12th, 2007, 05:03 PM
I would love to see the season to come in atleast 2 weeks earlier! I never had much luck in the later weeks of the season. I killed most of my birds within the fiirst 2 weeks of the season, it always seemed like the breeding season comes to a end shortly after that in the areas I hunt. The peak of gobbling activity always seems to be the week before the youth hunt.

Whitefeather
March 12th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I think it's way too late. The Toms are already doing some gobbling. A good two or three week early start would be nice.

JP

LetThemGrow
March 13th, 2007, 09:39 AM
It would be safer to start 2 weeks earlier...thick woods by end of season. Not sure if the dates are purposely after the action or not..remember, PA is one of few states where there is not hunting over the main breeding time for deer....maybe because they don't want more harvested, both deer and turkeys? :noidea:

TopOfFoodChain
March 13th, 2007, 10:09 AM
That's the only reason that I can think of for being so late.

whitetailfan
March 14th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Pa seasons needs to open up 1 week earlier. Its very common to see poults the last week of the season. This allows for the turkeys to be bread about a week before season.

Josh Michaelis
March 14th, 2007, 02:59 PM
MO was the same way the last couple seasons, its a week earlier this year

PABowhunt4life
March 14th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Not sure if the dates are purposely after the action or not..remember, PA is one of few states where there is not hunting over the main breeding time for deer....maybe because they don't want more harvested, both deer and turkeys? :noidea:

You hit the nail square on the head. They don't let us hunt during the peak rut nor can we hunt during the peak of turkey breeding season and there is one reason, and one reason only for that ;) ....... Not to mention we can only hunt till noon during turkey season.

By the time spring gobbler rolls around most of the hens are bread out and most of the GOBBLERS (not jakes) are just gobbling to gobble at that time of the year. Don't get me wrong, we still have a very high success rate with the season as it is, but the action isn't anywhere near as intense as it would be if they were to open it the beginning of April instead of the end.

bowdude300
March 14th, 2007, 05:10 PM
i heard that they were suppose to extend the season to memorial day.

candless
March 14th, 2007, 05:10 PM
I agree it's too late...at least I can get out a week earlier with my daughter on her first hunt. I think i'm more excited than her!

PA.Bucks
March 14th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Middle of april would be great but I don't think it will ever happen, by mid may it's like huntin in a rain forest:wink:

MOZ
March 14th, 2007, 05:51 PM
It would be safer to start 2 weeks earlier...thick woods by end of season. Not sure if the dates are purposely after the action or not..remember, PA is one of few states where there is not hunting over the main breeding time for deer....maybe because they don't want more harvested, both deer and turkeys? :noidea:

On my way to work this afternoon I saw a flock & every gobbler was fanned out & strutting. As for your statements, I couldn't agree more.

LetThemGrow
March 14th, 2007, 11:52 PM
i heard that they were suppose to extend the season to memorial day.It generally closes Saturday before...is that what you were thinking?