PDA

View Full Version : Walleye Secrets?????

gonecribbin
March 22nd, 2007, 09:11 PM
Growing up on the Mississippi, Ive seen tons of guys fishing with different styles, some with little success and some with GREAT success....
I was just wondering what methods of walleye fishing you are all doing????
trolling, jigging, etc ect...

WidowMaker
March 22nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
Are you fishing lakes or river systems????? I ve never fished anything but a jig and a minnow in rivers here in Michigan and have had great sucess. When I fish erie or da bay I usually drift or troll with crawler harnessess. The way I fish is pretty simple and I am definitly no expert, but it works.

INHUNTER
March 23rd, 2007, 02:43 PM
Most of my success has come from trolling or drifting with a crawler harness, like a lindy rig. If all else fails, go to the basics, like a splitshot sinker & a hook with crawler. I can't count the times where I've tried everything in the tackle box & ended up using the basics to catch fish. From what I've seen you have to keep the bait moving unless the fish are really hammering. If they're really hammering over certain structure, I've switched to a jig with crawler.

Good luck. I wish we had more spots to fish around here for them. I basically have one option locally.

doctariAFC
March 23rd, 2007, 06:00 PM
Good advice given.

I'm putting together some articles on walleye tactics for upcoming editions of Outdoor News (NY).

Tactics will depend on the waters you are fishing, and, more importantly, how the fish behave in that particular ecosystem.

Great Lakes Walleye, such as Lake Erie, and other large lakes, walleye will show heavy suspending behavior. The pelagic nature of walleye in these large waters is a direct result of a couple factors - water temperature and bait location.

A walleye's preferred or peak water temperature (their favorite temp, if you will) is 72 degrees F. Colder and warmer waters serve to slow their activity down some. In Large Lakes they seek out this temperature, especially in summer where surface temps can soar into the 80's. When fish are suspended, typically near their active temp, and the location of bait, best bet is controlled depth trolling. On Erie in the Eastern Basin we run dipsey diver rigs, using either wire line or braided line. We choose the size 1 Dipsey Diver, sometimes with ring, sometimes without, depending on depth walleye are holding over. Off the dipsey we will either run worm harnesses or trolling spoons. Harnesses in colors of watermelon, purple & black, orange & black, black & gold have all delivered. A copper blade has been best, no matter the color selected. Important - for the big 'eyes, use the biggest, snakiest night crawlers you can find. If you're using smaller worms, don't be afraid to "double up". We also will run a stick bait, like a Renosky or Reef Runner off 10-color leadcore. Downriggers deliver, too, and if we have a full boat, we'll get the planers running, using #20 and #30 jet divers to get the harnesses down deeper. Trolling at surface speeds of @ 2.2 - 2.5 MHP.

Gotta play with the depths a bit by varying how far back you set your dipseys. Having teh ring on will make the dipsey dig deeper by a few feet, that with ring off.

Smaller bodies of water are tons more fun, and sometimes far more challenging. Typically jigging rock ledges and drifting weed lines deliver outstanding results. Trolling stickbaits in the shallows at night is also a tremendous tactic.

Good luck.

J-BRU-72
April 2nd, 2007, 10:52 PM
chartreuse 3/8 oz jighead w/ mister twister curly tail...they ALWAYS work...atleast in the quetico...