PDA

View Full Version : Help with wiring an onboard charger to my bass boat.

PatriotDually
March 24th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I have a 20 foot Champion bass boat. A few years back the onboard charger quit working, so i put in a new one. It is a 3 bank 10amp per bank charger, it has 3 seperate leads coming out with a positive and negative wire in each lead as you would expect. So i just hooked each individual lead to each battery. Well i have noticed that my trolling motor seemed to get a bit weaker thru out the year and each year i have to replace one dead battery. After talking to a guy he said because my trolling motor is 24 volt and i have a jumper wire running from the positive side of one battery to the negative side on the other battery that there was no way that one of my batterys would charge. So i ask do any of you know how it is suppose to be hooked up? Because i can't and shouldn't have to unhook the jumper cable between the batteries each time i charge. Any ideas is appreciated.

Thanks
PD

gonecribbin
March 24th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Im probably wrong.... But doesnt your battery-to-battery have to be pos.-to-pos.?

TC-CountryBoy
March 24th, 2007, 06:13 PM
There are two ways trolling motor batteries may be hooked up, if it is a straight 24 volt motor, two of your batteries will be conected in series, Pos. to neg. and the leads from your trolling motor to the open pos. on the 1st battery, then the neg. on the 2nd. If it is 12/24 volt motor, you will have a pos. and neg. going to each battery. If they are connected parallel, pos. to pos. and neg. to neg. you only have high amp 12volt. here is a picture of picture from a 3 bank charger instructions.

TC

PatriotDually
March 25th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Cool thanks for the picture! That is how i have mine hooked up as it is a 24volt only system. I was just afraid that jumper wire was interfering with the charger.