PDA

View Full Version : Favorite camp foods

Yellowfin
April 10th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I'm pondering doing some backpacking soon and most definitely when my sweetie and I move out to California. What are some of your favorite foods when packing for overnight or 2+ days? I'm thinking of using some dry cured sausage as a meat ingredient, some pastas, mac n cheese, and maybe tofu if I can make it fit. Have any of you tried tomato paste in a tube? I've seen some available online and would think it to be a great addition to sauces and pastas to make things more like home, maybe even for making a sort of flatbread pizza.

Ideas ideas ideas!

PSECaptnKirk
April 16th, 2007, 01:15 AM
I usually pack dehydrated meals to save on space and weight. Mountian House makes pretty good meals that all you have to do is add hot water to right in the pouch. As an example, their "best sellers kit" includes...

1 - Beef Stew
1 - Beef Stroganoff
1 - Chicken Teriyaki
1 - Lasagna w/Meat
1 - Scrambled Eggs w/Ham
1 - Raspberry Crumble

The whole kit only weighs 2 pounds, not a bad deal for $35.

Mountian House (http://www.mountainhouse.com/)

You can find them at Cabela's and I believe Gander Mountian..or order right from them.

Hope that helps!

Captn---

Wandering Arrow
June 27th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Beer, Steak, Beer, Macaroni and Cheese, and Beer.:darkbeer:

bowtechwv
June 28th, 2007, 11:50 AM
and more beer

301fps
July 4th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Guys......don't forget the BEER!!

gpigate
July 10th, 2007, 01:00 AM
JERKY..... venison jerky

KEN-813
July 11th, 2007, 02:53 AM
We usually keep it simple while camping, usually any combination of below.
All coked over the fire with cast Iron or right on the grate or on a propane stove.

Breakfast

Scrambled eggs with ham and cheese
Bacon
Sausage
Toast
Pancakes
French Toast

Lunch

Hot dogs
sandwiches
Burgers
Mac & Cheese
Chips
Potato cheese Soup
Beans

Dinner = Fire Pit cooking mandatory! :wink:

Burgers
Hot dogs
Smoked Sausage
Steaks
Venison stakes
Smoked Pork Chops
1/2 Chicken
Baked Potato
Fried sliced Potato's with Butter Garlic, & onions
Beans

Damn now I'm hungry and want to go camping, lol :darkbeer:

Punch_Free4L
July 22nd, 2007, 11:14 AM
beans and weinies

star
July 26th, 2007, 02:33 PM
For me & my boy bereakfast :its scrambled eggs w/ cubed spam,poatoes-o-brian,& a bear claw,& hot coffee,& hot tea for my boy.after a hard hunt for lunch its homemade chili stew & pre-made fry bread.dinner its beans & more chile stew & some let overs ...yum yumm :wink:

BOWHUNTER2727
September 29th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Sorry guys but it sounds like most of you have never backed packed (and I do mean going miles from where your car is parked.lol)
As for food to take back packing,..... I recently took my girlfriend on her first backpacking trip, we did a 20 mile trip, what I have found is anytime you take anyone backpacking for their first time you want them to have fun, not worry about the crappy food.lol.
One of my favorite meals is really simple, red beans and rice, you can buy many varieties of premixed at your local grocery store, add in a few peices of polish sausage ( you can freeze it and wrap it in allum. foil it will last for days this way) also another good one is spaghetti sauce mix(dehydrated in the spice section) and add tomato past and water, works wonderful

rapture05
September 29th, 2007, 01:14 PM
#1 Shrimp and crab stew
#2 Pot roast Rabbits

AKDoug
September 30th, 2007, 07:02 PM
If it's going on my back it's going to be light. I really enjoy Mountain House food. I carry them for dinner. For breakfast I carry a variety pack of instant oatmeal packages. For lunch I just eat granola bars, oatmeal bars and power bars.

allout1
October 1st, 2007, 08:06 PM
Backpackers Pantry makes a breakfast packet that is granola w/bananas & milk. Its lightweight and tastes good enough that I would eat it at home if not for the cost. I'm going to try the granola w/blueberries next.

If you want real milk, Horizon Organic makes small single serving boxes of milk that do not need to be refrigerated until opened. I leave the box in a safe place outside so it will be cold in the morning, or if I'm near a cold stream I use a waterproof bag secured with a nylon fishing stringer to chill things. The milk is good enough that I buy the half gallon cartons for my house.

Takeum
October 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM
Spam and eggs, beans, hotdogs. chips, Pops, Juice and chocolate milk. for dinner it's usually Venisen chili, Corn bread, with some hotsauce or honey... honey buns, donuts, Choc milk, juice and Choc donuts.. Granola bars, Pop tarts and lifesavers for snacks,,,, Basically lots of Junk food with wifes specialty venisen chili for camp ...

neo71665
October 1st, 2007, 08:53 PM
MRE, take your pick on flavor.

**Frost Bite**
October 2nd, 2007, 08:14 PM
Raman Noodles!!!!!!!!

SoWeGA Hunter
October 2nd, 2007, 09:31 PM
there are a bunch of good rice meals that you just boil water. You can add canned tuna to a mac & cheese for a delightful dinner, great side dish with SPAM, too!

ELITE@LAST
January 21st, 2008, 10:33 PM
tortilla, peanut butter(chunky), and honey....... spaghetti and meat sauce, beef stroganoff, lasagna, and a few others(mountain house), Power Bars or Wilderness Athlete bars are good, i usually make a cereal myself with granola, dehy blueberry and strawberry, powdered milk in a ziploc bag.. just add warm or cold water.... or just take oatmeal... dried sausage or jerky, no refrig cheese from Jack Links, the vaccum sealed chunked chicken or tuna is nice to have too... i'll add the chicken to the mac &cheese mountain house.. makes a fine meal.

Inhimwelive
January 29th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I usually cook a chicken breast and freeze it ... I then add this too a side dish like one of the lipton variety... It only adds a few ounces of weight and its gone the 1st night...I have backpacked and backcountry camped for 24 years and I never buy the fancy freeze dried meals.. If you go to the grocery store you can find many dried dishes that you can make .. One of my easiest is to take two packs of shrimp flavored ramen noodles and add tuna too it.. This is a very filling dish and takes minutes to make. You can buy the tuna in a foil pack.. Heres a tip take an extra lexan bottle for each person than boil your water and just let the food soak in the bottles till done... Saves on fuel used and boiling times.

muzzyguy16
February 20th, 2008, 05:52 PM
spam

ban_t
February 24th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I pack MRE'S http://www.readymeal.com/store/home.php
for day trips and or two-three day trips. Plus I use a water filter so I do not have too carry as much also. They are a bit expensive but saftey first. Also there is the fish you catch and the game you hunt that will fill your other needs.
Let's not forget the berries and other food stuff's that you can harvest from the forest also. For fire starter I like Magnesium blocks with flint for a quick start. My pack will go from 30# - 60# pending on how long I am out. http://www.majorsurplus.com/US-Style-LCII-Alice-Packs-Large-Complete-P14505.aspx
This is one I use for most trips and then I have the small day day for short outings. Hope this helps Have a nice day in the woods

gungho
April 23rd, 2008, 01:18 AM
this is what I started using it is cheaper than freezdried and is justabout as light to carry to rehidrate I use boiling water and pour it into the vacumebags that I put the food into for packing
Ingredients:

2 lb. venison or beef cut into 1/2" chunks
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped green peppers
1 cup chopped green onions
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup chopped spinach
1 can sliced carrots, drained
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Rotel
8 oz. dry cous-cous
10 shakes of Datil sauce

Patrick uses a wok...I used a huge skillet.

Brown the meat in olive oil and set aside and keep warm.

Start stir-frying the vegetables in the order they appear above. It will look like alot when you first get in in the wok, but it cooks down. Keep adding ingredients (you may have to add a touch more olive oil in the process) until you have a batch of the casserole that has the consistency of thick oatmeal. Add the browned venison back into the wok. The cous-cous will help thicken it up. You can tweak the amounts of each ingredient as you wish. I didn't make my first batch too spicy because the wife and girls were eating it, but in the future I would spice it up some.

This one-pot meal is great! You can dehydrate it and it'll store for a LONG time. You can eat it fresh and hot out of the wok, or take it in your backpack, dry in a ziploc. Reconstitute it in the field or eat it dry. It's good both ways. I'm taking a healthy batch with me bowhunting this fall.

Also, this meal has great nutritional value.
I add the cooked meat when all veggies are done and then simmer the whole mess for a bit. The "thickening" part comes when you add the cous cous. I'll scatter a whole package over the stewing mass and then add more from another package if needed till I get the stiffnes of the mixture desired. This will take some experience. I also use probably more of most of the ingredients than Paul cites as "1 cup"; I'm of the old school that just eyeballs grub quantities rather than measuring. I use generously the olive oil throughout the cooking stages too--figuring the fat is good for keeping my furnace fed in the backcountry.

I've recently resorted to elk burger for the meat, being out of cuts by this time of year. Works quite well, and rehydrates very fast.

The dried form seems to keep indefinitely, even without refrigeration, which is precisely the point. I'm not a formally trained Nutritionist but I am pretty up to speed on the subject. I see no reason this ration wouldn't sustain a person in peak health forever. Perhaps the only thing missing is milk-based calcium. Perhaps I'll throw in some dried milk next time. But spinach is a good calcium source if I'm not mistaken.

Gung:darkbeer:

LabRat314
April 23rd, 2008, 01:56 AM
Mountain House or simaler dehydrated food (even your own mix). Anyone else is an idiot and obviously hasnt backpacked before.

Also some of the ideas in this thread make me wonder how much some of you weigh?

elkkat
May 29th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Mountain House or simaler dehydrated food (even your own mix). Anyone else is an idiot and obviously hasnt backpacked before.
Also some of the ideas in this thread make me wonder how much some of you weigh?

Most likely some people payed attention to the title only, when they posted:wink:. To call them idiots and fatties is uncalled for, rude and immature and calls attention to your own intelligence:rolleyes:, so I recommend refraining from such comments, in the future.