PDA

View Full Version : My first night in the "WILD"

Ronaya
April 10th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Ok, so the other night I decided to sleep outside without a tent. I'm sure some of you are thinking "well.... so what?" But it was my first time without a tent! I went out there with my bow, hatchet and sleeping bag, and that is it. Do any of you remember your first time in the woods or someplace without protection? I thought it was a little creepy at first. Did you?

Professur
April 10th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Does a motel room in New Jersey count?

Ronaya
April 10th, 2007, 04:03 PM
not exactly :)

Yellowfin
April 10th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Yes. I was in the Boy Scouts and 11 or 12 years old, freezing my butt off in a field on a camporee. It was one of those odd size years, ya know, when I was growing fast so I never had clothes that fit exactly right because they were bought with room to grow in them which was always either too much or too little. Dorky, somewhat clueless, and amongst people of widely varying socioeconomic backgrounds--an interesting scenario which I guess opened me up to talking to anyone and everyone I meet ever since and appreciating life in any setting. You learn more when wet, cold, hungry, tired, or miles from sight of anything than when comfortable.

Fuzzysquirrel66
April 18th, 2007, 10:33 AM
No I didnt feel scared at all and I was out in the New Mexico wild but also with the boy Scouts!! Camping is amazing and I love it!

chuck7413
April 18th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Camping takes on a whole new meaning when you start sleeping under the stars or in shelters that you build. I love building debris huts and sleeping in them.

WAID
April 19th, 2007, 12:51 AM
The first night not in a tent was probably when I hiked into a small lake near Mt. Rainier on the PCT. I had what was supposedly a sleeping bag but I don't think it ever really kept me warm(too small I move a lot) the only real virtue it has was being small, light, and cheap. I had a tarp sorta folded over around me. The lake froze over and the whole area was frosted but i didn't freeze to death. The only other time since then was testing a new sleeping bag(this one does keep me warm, is still cheap, and light, not very compact though) the low was about 15 degrees F and I was under an overhang of the woodshed in case it snowed. Usually I prefer a tent though since I tend to do most of my camping when the mosquitoes are more dangerous than the bears.

De-Gurl
April 21st, 2007, 12:50 PM
Back in 1987 I spent a few nights in the woods with 8 guys....:eek:

It was Air Force Survival school outside of Spokane, Washington in November. It was cold but beautiful with snow on the ground! We had 2 AF-issue sleeping bags, long johns and a tarp. I had a blast!

I did not camp again until my son joined scouts-then I became the camping mom. I love camping and am learning to cook in my cast iron pots, and am teaching him (over an open fire). We love it!

I tried to get him to sleep outside alone but after 3 hours he freaked out and came back inside. It was funny! He blamed it on the cold but it's really, really dark outside! He is 11.

Soilarch
April 22nd, 2007, 02:38 AM
Haven't ever done it alone...but I like to tie a hammock between two trees and sleep in a sleeping bag. I haven't had to do this yet but take a rope tie it tight between the same two trees, throw and fasten a tarp over it and ta-da! Off the ground, out of the the wind/rain!

Phoenix34
May 28th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I love sleeping outside without a tent. It's fun taking someone out for their first "night in the wild" and watching them jump everytime they hear a noise or think they see something.

jruddy
July 26th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I fell asleep in a chair next to a campfire while my family went to bed in our trailer.

cwa1104sab
October 6th, 2007, 08:56 PM
1970, I was eight years old. Me Bruce Angelo and John did it in my backyard but we had Pepe out there with us. Pepe was our dog a beagle shepard mix. He was the original wonder dog (especially to an 8 years old)

**Frost Bite**
October 10th, 2007, 09:18 PM
No I didnt feel scared at all and I was out in the New Mexico wild but also with the boy Scouts!! Camping is amazing and I love it!

Philmont????

Inhimwelive
January 29th, 2008, 10:36 AM
When I was 19 I decided to live in the wilderness of Nothern quebec for a month.. I had no gun just a hatchet and knife ... Here are some highlights... At one site there were wolf tracks that were so big they looked like bear tracks.. I discovered what a bog was by falling through one with a 80+lb pack on my back.. I had a family of indians try and steal my camping gear.. Ironically I scared them away by waving my hatchet at them... And I had a mouse take up residence in my pack and sample all my food...

armyboy
February 18th, 2008, 08:38 PM
i have never gone camping out side but i would absolutely love to go hike into the mountains and go bear and deer hunting with a bow for a week... without a tent... but my dad is kinda out of shape and brother isn't too thrilled about doing it, and i don't know too many people that go hunting:pukey:oh well maybe later in my life

ban_t
February 24th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Not sure if it would be called camping , we called it catfishing all night on the river. Kankakee river in Ind. My Grandfrather had a piece of property that we stayed on. So we fished all night on the bank just siting and sleeping next too our poles. Waiting for the bell too ring that we hung on it too tell us we had a bite. From when I was 6- now LOL , no lights sometime a little fire and lots of scary stuff. At least when I was younger. Now-a-days I have lights and chairs.
Sometimes I just float down the rivers and camp anywhere. Call the Wife for a ride home.

Eric W
February 26th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I've camped for over 20 years, but always in a tent.

Then about a year ago, I slept under the stars on a cold early winter night.

Why?

Because my son wanted a Wii so I slept on the sidewalk at Wal-Mart so I would be one of the first 20 people in the store when it opened.

Does that count?

Airhead
March 10th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I've slept in holes, ditches, rice patties, on top of armored personnel carriers.

I use a tent now.:wink:

Farley
March 13th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Like alot of people, I did it with the cub scouts when I was a kid. Haven't done it in over 20 years or so. I have been trying to convince the GF to do it, partially because I think it's unresonable for 2 people to go camping and jam pack a car full of gear. She hasn't warmed up to the idea yet!

huttoncreek_10x
March 14th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I like to sleep on my trampoline under the stars and listen to the frogs and crickets. Ahh... could do that every night!

ACES
March 14th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I'd like to try it sometime, but I think it would have to be just the right time of year. I try to avoid the chiggers and skeeters and snakes.

Texoma
March 14th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Does being intoxicated and passing out all night in the yard count.:embara:

azone5
March 17th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I've done lots of tent camping but never just slept under the stars. I'd like too though. However, I just bought a new tent. Haven't been camping in years, but I plan to hunt, rest (nap), hunt, sleep etc. now that I'm retired.

Farley
April 15th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Does being intoxicated and passing out all night in the yard count.:embara:

If that counts then yes, I used to be an expert woodsman! :darkbeer:

pro38hunter
April 18th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I fell asleep in a chair next to a campfire while my family went to bed in our trailer.

When I was playing paintball all the time. We used to meet up on Sat. nights, camp and drink, then play on Sunday. I was hot for one of the guys daughters, and I spent many nights passed out next to the fire. Always set a tent, but never seemed to make it!!!

Anonym
May 8th, 2008, 03:42 PM
I hardly ever camp with a tent! Back when I was in highschool, I'd grab a sleeping bag or blanket (depending on the weather) and wander into the woods with whatever food I could stuff in my cargo pockets and spend a day or two. If I found a good spot, sometimes I would build some sort of lean-to shelter, but most times were spent with a fire on one side (warmth) and a wood pile on the other (wind break and for convenience to stoke the fire in the middle of the night).

Once in college and joined the Guard, I hated packing around those heavy shelter halves and loved when we were out on patrol or ambush runs and caught a few winks leaning against a tree.

I still go out and camp w/out a tent - usually when hunting. I've never really been scared to do it, but I'm usually armed and in familiar territory. I work with my local scout troop and several of the boys have also embraced the art of tentless camping.

Anonym

PS: Pro38Hunter, I also used to play paintball a lot. Wonder if we ever ran into each other?!

2005Ultramag
May 8th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I grew up with about 100 acres of woods out my back door. we used to sleep in the woods overnight starting at about age 11 or 12. sometimes we'd pitch a tent, sometimes not. Sometimes we'd pitch a tent, and still sleep outside of it. Campfires, hot dogs on sticks, marsmallows, and such, along with a first taste of independence from parents.:thumbs_up

Gypsy Rover
May 8th, 2008, 04:40 PM
As a progressive/hardcore Civil War reenactor, I spend 20 plus nights a year out without a tent in all types of weather, from spooning in snow to sweating in blistering heat, in the hills of PA to the swamps of GA...we do it like they did it, no tents, one blanket, no coolers, just salt pork and hardtack.

Have done so over 23 years, and in some really neat places like Bloody Lane, Devils Den, the Slaughter Pen...etc...

You can be surprised on what little gear you need when it comes down to it....

2005Ultramag
May 8th, 2008, 04:55 PM
As a progressive/hardcore Civil War reenactor, I spend 20 plus nights a year out without a tent in all types of weather, from spooning in snow to sweating in blistering heat, in the hills of PA to the swamps of GA...we do it like they did it, no tents, one blanket, no coolers, just salt pork and hardtack.

Have done so over 23 years, and in some really neat places like Bloody Lane, Devils Den, the Slaughter Pen...etc...

You can be surprised on what little gear you need when it comes down to it....

Devil's Den... Been there many times looking up at Little roundtop.

Those Confederates were nuts to attack that.

BTW...if you're spending the night in Devil's Den that makes you a Confederate re-enactor... right?

hypovolemicshok
May 25th, 2008, 01:02 AM
I have yet to do it state side but I slept on top of my wrecker for a few nights in Iraq while guarding some stuff. I didn't like the location but it was nice to have nothing but the stars above me with a 240B and a few thousand rounds next to me.