PDA

View Full Version : How many Gulf Coast fisherman?

STRAIGHTARROW
April 13th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Heck I've been an AT'er for a couple years and never knew this forum was here!
I live in middle Ga. and fish the Big Bend area, mostly out of Steinhatchee.
Prefer offshore grouper fishing, but hit it inside when the seas are rough.
I used to live in Orlando and fished a lot out of Port Canaveral and Mosquito Lagoon area.

Just curious how many are out there?

rcmjr
April 13th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I used to live in Orlando and fished a lot out of Port Canaveral and Mosquito Lagoon area.

used to regularly fish the area around Ft. Meyers, Sanibel, and Captive.

STRAIGHTARROW
April 13th, 2007, 04:59 PM
used to regularly fish the area around Ft. Meyers, Sanibel, and Captive.

Yes sir I've been in Redfish pass many times and fish the pass at Boca for Tarpon on occassion...you still get down there any?

superduc21
April 15th, 2007, 10:38 PM

I live about 20 min. from Keaton Beach or 30 from Steinhatchee. give me a shout if ya wanna go for trout sometime!

STRAIGHTARROW
April 16th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I live about 20 min. from Keaton Beach or 30 from Steinhatchee. give me a shout if ya wanna go for trout sometime!

Appreciate that superduc...just might take ya up on that sometime! I was there 2 weekends ago when the winds were high and the seas were 3-5'.. we fished inshore, caught our limit of keeper trout, some went 20" plus...you ever go after the reds down there?

superduc21
April 16th, 2007, 10:30 AM
dont go for too many reds, unless its high tide in the early morning. (love to watch them tail). I like going down around crystal river/homosassa for reds. They have a bunch of islands and the big reds will school up around May. Plus I grew up there and can get around pretty well. I went out a couple weeks ago and caught my limit of trout and found some really nice mackeral schools. Cobia and tarpon should start showing up directly:wink:

AKRuss
April 16th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I visit my wife's side of the family in Florida from time to time and get a real kick out of shallow water inshore fly fishing with a guide. I've fished Mosquito Lagoon a few times and out of Islmorada (sp?) twice. Last year I hired a guide from Bob and Marys and he took my brother in law and I up to Flamingo where we drowned a bunch of shrimp. What fun! According to my wife, if I want to continue living in the fashion I've become accustomed to, I'll be retired and living in Florida in a few years, LOL, so leave some for seed.

STRAIGHTARROW
April 17th, 2007, 07:49 AM
I'll be retired and living in Florida in a few years, LOL, so leave some for seed.

Not to worry AK..with my fishing prowess, there will be seeds 'o plenty left! :)

obsessedLSS
April 17th, 2007, 01:35 PM
texas coast....land based shark fishing, also chase reds/trout from the surf and the bays...:thumbs_up :cool:

fasst
April 22nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
North Florida here....I fish the gulf from Carrabelle to Steinhatchee.... Keaton Beach is a fav of mine too.....we have land in Steinhatchee we hunt...I suppose I really need to go down there and fish soon huh? I live a couple of miles from St. Marks, so it is hard to make myself drive down there, when theres decent fish right here.

stewart76
April 23rd, 2007, 10:24 PM
i live on the bay in good ole pensacola florida.... and am an avid saltwater fisherman

obsessedLSS
April 25th, 2007, 02:05 PM
i live on the bay in good ole pensacola florida.... and am an avid saltwater fisherman

home of the mighty tarpon and do you guys have bone fish as well?

STRAIGHTARROW
April 25th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Spent 3 days chasing grouper outta Steinhatchee. Fished hard, from 42' all the way to 60' in my little 20' CC.
Caught 3 keepers and a few shorts...very discouraging.
With gas at $3.22 a gallon at the marina's it will be a while until I go again.

Shoulda just stayed inshore for trout and rum runners in the afternoon.:cocktail:

superduc21
April 25th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Went out monday and we couldnt beat the rock bass off our jigs in about 5ft. of water. Mackeral were spotty and the trout werent being aggressive. Was pretty rough though. Guy in a boat about 200 yards away hooked in a 75-90lb. tarpon but it made mince meat of his trout set-up.

AKRuss
April 25th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Well, I'm pretty excited. I can see about half of my drift boat now as it melts out of the snow. It might be time to roll it over in a few weeks if the temps get a little higher but it'll be a while before I light the barbee for grilled salmon. Sure wish I could chase a tarpon in the Keys right now.

STRAIGHTARROW
April 26th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Well, I'm pretty excited. I can see about half of my drift boat now as it melts out of the snow. .

Dang! I can't even imagine that! I guess you gotta be tough to fish off the Alaskan coast!

Sure wish I could chase a tarpon in the Keys right now.

Me too, Russ....me too.

Floridarcher
May 11th, 2007, 12:07 AM

Yeah I live right outside of p'cola All the fishing around here is graet special the 36in bull reds