PDA

View Full Version : spinfishing for trout

No.1 Hoyt
April 16th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I own a fly rod and an ultra light rod. When I go trout fishing I will use the fly rod but if I get desprate i will try the spin rod. What are some good lures/techniques for spinfishing for trout?

jagerace
April 16th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Don't do it!!! Stay away from the darkside!!!:eek: Once you start fly fishing you'll never go back. :wink:

Seriously though, the tips I Pm'd you apply for spin fishing as well.

Josh

RCL
April 16th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I'm not sure if it will work where you are, but with my ultra light I've been using 1/32 oz Panther Martin and 1/24 oz. Rooster Tail spinners....:fish2:

k'em-n-g'em
April 16th, 2007, 08:35 PM
I'm not sure if it will work where you are, but with my ultra light I've been using 1/32 oz Panther Martin and 1/24 oz. Rooster Tail spinners....:fish2:

i second that nomination!!!

i used to use those set ups as a kid very much!!! used to crush em but i mostly fish the big lakes for monster brown off off the boards

Moe1984
April 17th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I like Panther Martins for all kinds of trout. Usually use a #4 or 6 for brookies or rainbows. They make some big ones too that I've used off the piers and caught salmon on them when spoons weren't working.

No.1 Hoyt
April 17th, 2007, 11:39 PM
thanks for the help! :)

StevieJAngler
April 18th, 2007, 09:27 PM
my two favorite spinners are the panther martin coach dog colored spinner(fished quickly when the fish are active) and the blue fox minnow spin in the black and silver(fished with a grub tail attached to the treble hook and cranked barely fast enough to keep the blades spinning). both work great but on the frist day this year the blue fux was tops. fish wouldnt hit a live minnow but ate the blue fox alive.

AJ008
April 18th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Panthers martins up and down stream. Any good looking troutish colors...

XP35
April 21st, 2007, 12:34 PM
We fish a lot of small moutain streams here. Usually very clear and with a strong current. I fish from the bottom up and I hit every hole I see. Some days it is MILES of streams wandering up the sides of mountains.

I have a system I have used for many years now with great success. I have only ever shared this with two of my best friends! And both of them now use the same system with good success. So here's a freebie for ya' guys!!

First, I only bother buying two spinners. Panther Martins and Blue Foxes.:wink: The reason is the downstream retrieve. These lures are very heavy for their size and tend to stay down in the water on the faster retrieves downstream with the current. Lighter spinners, like some Mepps and Rooster Tails, tend to come to the surface when worked with enough speed to spin the blades while retrieving with the current.

Second, I got those spinners in a few sizes. This allows me to adjust the weight to the speed of the current.

Third, I buy them in all gold, all silver, silver and white, and gold and yellow (with the hook dressings being colored). I use the solid silver in clear water on sunny days, the solid gold in clear water on cloudy days, the silver and white in stained water with sun, and the gold and yellow in stained water with clouds. Notice, the blade color changes with light and the color of dressing (or lack of dressing) changes with water clarity. Too bright can spook trout fast in clear water so I avoid the bright colors then. But when the water is stained they cannot hit the lure if they cannot see it....so I use the spinner with the colored hook dressing.

Fourth, change the lure from PM to BF to get a different frequency of vibration from the blades. The Panther is a light, fast vibe, while the Blue Fox with it's French blades tends to put a bit of thump in the water. The thump seems to attract the more aggressive fish while the faster vibration tends to work a little better on more wary ones.

Fifth......this doesn't mean squat! :mg: Thruth is that it could change at any moment and they will break these rules. That is how trout fishing is. But I use this system to get rid of second guessing. I just fish hard and aggressively without a lot of lure changes. This allows me to catch a boatload of trout on nearly every outing.

Some of you who are fishing in streams like we have around here should try this. I am sure it will net you some trout! Good luck, everyone!!

No.1 Hoyt
April 23rd, 2007, 05:38 PM
thanks for posting everyone