PDA

View Full Version : Sore Chest

Greg Gilliland
April 21st, 2007, 05:43 PM
I have cracked my sternum and seperated ribs from my sternum. I was afraid that I was having a heart attach chest pains and such. EKG came back normal (ran 3 ways) I am feeling better. Last 2 days feeling very sore in the chest area. My ribs are out in my back from this. Do I have anything to worry about. I have had no shortness of breath and no pressure in the chest. I have had a few pains in the shoulders but they feel like they are out also. I can flex and moce them and make them hurt. I also can push on my chest and sternum and make it hurt. Any idea how long this will hurt?

Thanks Greg

Raven1911
April 21st, 2007, 07:37 PM
How long ago did you do this?? Ribs do wrap around and meet with the spine in your back. These joints can get out and it gets irritated. Ribs take a long time to heal as they are constantly moving from breathing and there is no way to fixate them so they will not move, which would speed up the healing. Rib breaks are some of the most uncomfortable pains to have but its part of the process. Some doctors put you in a wrapping support but you can get pneumonia from this because you are not using your full lung capacity during normal breathing. So its the doctors call.

Greg Gilliland
April 22nd, 2007, 07:35 PM
Back in mid Febuary. I am feeling better today. Still sore but better. I go back on Wednesday to see the doctor for a check up.

Greg

Raven1911
April 23rd, 2007, 12:01 AM
I think you are on the right course. It is a slow and painful recovery. No worries, just ask the doctor any questions you might have.

Greg Gilliland
April 23rd, 2007, 12:06 AM
Thanks Raven
I will post what the Doc says on Wednesday. I am going to school to be a nurse and love self diagnosing. LOL

Thanks again

Greg

Raven1911
April 23rd, 2007, 12:53 AM
Excellent field of health care right now. You will never be without a job!!

Soilarch
April 23rd, 2007, 01:34 AM
No JOKE!!! One of the main reasons I went into college with a Nursing major. It just wasn't "me" though. I hated every minute of clinicals! Many of my classmates loved it though...so more power to those you do enjoy it!

Raven1911
April 23rd, 2007, 02:01 AM
No JOKE!!! One of the main reasons I went into college with a Nursing major. It just wasn't "me" though. I hated every minute of clinicals! Many of my classmates loved it though...so more power to those you do enjoy it!

After a few years under your belt look into Nurse Anesthetist. They make huge money and you might like the work. Or you could do something like life flight nurse or something like that (ER) would be really cool.

Greg Gilliland
April 23rd, 2007, 11:43 AM
Flight nurse in my goal, I have been an EMT for years and love the "out in the field" better than a hospital setting. What is a nurse anthesist (sp)?

Greg

Raven1911
April 23rd, 2007, 11:48 AM
They basically work under an anesthesiologist and put people out for surgeries and keep their BP's in the proper range and breathing and heart rates in their ranges. Make about $150K a year starting I believe here in CA.

Greg Gilliland
April 24th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Ended up in the ER last night with chest pains. These were different then anything I have ever has before. My heart was pounding and I felt dizzy and weak. They ran EKG and blood work (total cardiac workup) everything was negative for my heart. They figure maybe I ate something or coming down with something or just OOPS. LOL. So today I feeling fine. Ther cracked sternum is healing no visible cracks now. Ribs and carlidge still sore.

Thanks Greg

TX Bowhunter
April 24th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Ended up in the ER last night with chest pains. These were different then anything I have ever has before. My heart was pounding and I felt dizzy and weak. They ran EKG and blood work (total cardiac workup) everything was negative for my heart. They figure maybe I ate something or coming down with something or just OOPS. LOL. So today I feeling fine. Ther cracked sternum is healing no visible cracks now. Ribs and carlidge still sore.

Thanks Greg

Greg,

Sounds like you were having an anxiety attack to me. This post is very ironic to me becuase I to in Feb. thought I was having a heart attack and went in and had EKG, blood work and the whole 9 yards every thing came back fine. Seems that I had pulled a chest muscle and was having some cramps which in turn pushed me into a anxiety attack. Literally scared the heck out of me. Since then I have really evalutated the way I live so as to not have that scare again anytime soon.

Good luck on the ribs. I am actually still sore myself and going back to the doc next week to find out what it is for sure. I may have torn or pulled some cartlige myself.

TX

Raven1911
April 24th, 2007, 11:38 PM
I have personally seen people react to gas pains the same exact way!! Of course they didn't know it was gas at the time though!:eek:

Greg Gilliland
April 25th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Raven and Tx Hunter

I am feeling good tonite. I was having some stomach issues the last couple of days. Also the stress levels are way out there also. School, work, family trying to buy a house. Yea I am little stressed. So all in all I am doing ok. My blood pressure was highand heart rate 170/98 and 126 HR. When I got home took it and it was 132/72 HR was 62. So thanks for the advice. I will keep you informed. TX hunter did they do a cardiac stress test on you at all?

Thanks Greg

Greg Gilliland
April 30th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Well I am off to the cardiologist on Wednesday. They want to double check things after me ER trip. They are just playing it safe they said. So we will see what happens. I amn feeling really good today. Thanks for all the support guys.

Greg

Raven1911
April 30th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Good luck man. You need to de-stress, go shoot some arrows!:wink:

Greg Gilliland
April 30th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Thanks If my new house buying does not work out. I am either buying a bow or going to Idaho to chase elk this year. Not sure which yet.

Greg

Greg Gilliland
May 3rd, 2007, 01:19 AM
Cardiologist cleared me today with a green light that it is not my heart. They are guessing the cartlidge ad muscle still. I can live with that nowing that I am not having heart problems. Raven how much tylenol is to much during the course of a day? I know that I am over doing it and I am sure that is what causing the stomach issues also. Thanks for everyones support, I am going to start trying to shoot my bow a little this next week.

Greg