PDA

View Full Version : Any Snaggers?

Soilarch
April 22nd, 2007, 02:54 AM
Yes, it's what its name implies. No it's not illegal. You can fish Spoonbill catfish or "paddlefish" this way. It's the only way to catch these fish as they aren't scavengers or predator. I believe they're actually vegetarian.

Wandering if we've got any other snaggers on board here. Last summer was the first time I went. It's amazing...and a good workout too!

jagerace
April 22nd, 2007, 02:12 PM
I would love to try it but I don't have anyone to drive the boat for me. Paddlefish is great to eat, gonna have to give it a try some time.

Josh

rdneckhntr
April 22nd, 2007, 09:26 PM
Well if you count snaggin carp and gar when Im fishin and its slow...then I guess Im a snagger lol...

StevieJAngler
April 22nd, 2007, 10:00 PM
master snagger here but not for any of those fish. :embara: friends challenge my skill

LeftemLeakin
April 22nd, 2007, 10:03 PM
Ive done a little snagging, we go for flathead catfish on the Arkansas river. My first fish was a 25lb. spoonbill hung towards the tail with his gill flaired in the current, Talk about a FIGHT! I have also seen 300 lb men hit fish and just sit down while their reel screams (cause they cant budge the fish) Actually kinda scary when u go to gaff a fish and see how fast and turbulent the water is. We use 14 foot rods wrapped in trotline with penn 330's and usually 10 - 12oz. weights. And yes it is a workout and lotsa fun, especially if ya hit a big one.

archer109
April 22nd, 2007, 10:07 PM
Paddlefish snagger here, season starts in less than 10 days here. First day is a catch and release day than after that must keep. I think I am gonna hit up the catch and release day. Looking forward to beating my previous record of 83lbs.

Soilarch
April 22nd, 2007, 10:55 PM
Wow, nice to have some company.

1. We can't use boat near the Ky Dam (I think, they've changed all the laws for this year and nobody has really got it figured out yet.) No boats, no "man-made structures" and a daily limit are about all I'm sure about.

2. We use shorter rods. (9ft..no wrapping) We wrap the foam handles in electric tape slap a Penn 309 or 209 (one guy uses a 10) and 3-8 ounces on some cheap 50lb mono with a treble a little smaller than my fist. Some guys get a huge pink bouncy-ball or racquetball like thing and tape that to the end so the rod doesn't dig into their hips.

3. I completely understand the idea of sitting down. It is INSANE what a 40# fish can do...especially when it's fighting the current. But were we fish sitting down could be painful...the river's lined with 100# rocks.

4. Do you see the "up and over" retrieve or the "12 o'clock to 9 o'clock" retrieve more often? It's about 50/50 around here from what I've seen. I prefer the twisty "12-9" style myself.

Sorry for the number system...helps me keep track:confused:

ASeriousHunter
April 23rd, 2007, 11:05 AM
I went this last week twice. Caught 1 70 lb, 4-50 lb, many under 40 lb, all spoonbill and a 28 lb flathead. Here everyone uses 10 to 15 ft rods with 25 to 30 lb test. Saw a 90 lb spoonbill released, and my first black one that was about 40 lb. Hopefully it will rain a bunch this week.

For style it depends on the contour of the river and where the fish are holding. This last week 90% were caught going parallel with the water surface and fishing right on the bottom. Other times the 3 to 9 approach with the weight kept high when the fish are high.

badluk
April 23rd, 2007, 08:37 PM
We fish for them here in east tn. on the holston river. There is a two week season in the beginning of march where you can keep them and during that time of year they are hard to catch but we always manage to catch a few. During this time of year though they run up steam to a dam and thousands are stacked on top of each and no matter what you are fishing with you catch them. Its every cast too. The first few are fun, but after about the 4th one they get aggervating. When you do hit on the run about 100yds of line off your spool and you got a 30min fight on your hands.