PDA

View Full Version : What rest would you buy for hunting?

pse_shooter
April 25th, 2007, 08:20 PM
I can't decide between the DMI drop away, the trophy ridge drop away, Free Fall, or the Nap quicktune flipper. I hunt from treestands most of the time and i think Iam gonna buy the freefall as I found it on sale for $60! Anyone got a preference?

Campo
April 25th, 2007, 08:23 PM
I personally like the NAP rests...but that is just me

PAstringking
April 25th, 2007, 08:25 PM
i shoot a Trophy Ridge Drop Zone and i like it a lot. this is also my first drop away rest. i havent experimented with others yet.

miwai
April 25th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I have used NAP and Futura and now use the Muzzy Zero Effect.....I like the Muzzy the best.....you might want to consider it too. Great when it's windy because arrow cannot jump off the rest.

Super 91
April 25th, 2007, 08:53 PM
.QAD LD or Ripcord. Best rests I have ever used for hunting

Coues Sniper
April 25th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Limbdriver. That rest is flat out awesome. :darkbeer:

Freak Nasty
April 25th, 2007, 08:58 PM
another vote for the limbdriver, trust me it will be the last rest you ever buy.

Almarques7
April 25th, 2007, 08:59 PM
QAD ultra hunter works great for me, and you can stalk with the arrow nocked without worrying about it

mjbrady
April 25th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Free Fall is a great rest, if you go that way you want be disappointed. That would be my choice!

Muy Grande
April 25th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Get the Muzzy ZE and forget the rest.

Gates
April 25th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Rip-Cord

dcso3009
April 25th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't buy any rest for hunting... I have a QAD LD. Best hunting rest in my opinion. Full containment and total clearance both in one rest. I would not have it any other way.
On a side note... my last bow had a Drop Zone and it worked fine. Just liked the full containment on the QAD.

Dens228
April 25th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I just put a Bodoodle Gamedropper back on my bow.

It shoots just as good as my Limbdriver, both were easy to set up but the Bodoodle is so simple I can't believe more people don't use it.

ButchA
April 25th, 2007, 10:10 PM

Same here... The NAP Quiktune prong rests are classics. They just..... work. No troubles, no hassles, no anything, once they're set up. Heck, even I can setup a prong rest! :wink:

Butch A.

j3dgu
April 25th, 2007, 10:15 PM
I am of the KEEP IT SIMPLE philosophy, but forget about the NAP flipper rest get the NAP 1000 or 3000 micro TM style if you opt for a non-drop-away. The WB is also a grest hunting rest.

parker_l
April 25th, 2007, 10:29 PM
shaffer is another great hunting rest

troutmadness
April 25th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I just got a new rest by schaffer performance archery and man is that thing smooth. I couldn't believe it, and doesn't make a sound unlike my old QAD ultra.
Only drawback is they aren't cheap.

Montana Dave
April 25th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Whisker biscuit.....all day long!

rod251
April 25th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Whisker biscuit.....all day long!

What he said.

builditall
April 25th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Keep it simple an go with a Whisker Bisquit:wink:

Cornfed
April 25th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Here's another vote for the TR Drop Zone! It's an excellent rest and the one I've trusted on several different rigs over the past few seasons. :thumbs_up

Buckeyehunter12
April 25th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Im passionately in love w/ NAP broadheads and other equipment so i say buy the NAP rest.

mudslinger2
April 25th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Free Fall!! Why get a rest that has to have all the string and cords and bands to make it work. I have used the Trap Door, AKA Free FAll since they came out and have had ZERO problems. Never had a failure and I have used it strictly for hunting in TX NM CO and NZ.

txcookie
April 25th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Same here... The NAP Quiktune prong rests are classics. They just..... work. No troubles, no hassles, no anything, once they're set up. Heck, even I can setup a prong rest! :wink:

Butch A.

Yet another for this rest. IF It works leave it alone

slinger09
April 25th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter.

pse_shooter
April 25th, 2007, 11:34 PM
i am really liking the free fall, but i had a qad rest, and it wasnt dropping fast enough, had a prob. i guess so i went to the bowshop because a side prong was WAY rubbed down from contact and they gave me a $15 drop away, kinda like the allen drop away from wally world... So u think i should contact the rest company?

Walker33
April 25th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Top Gun is the way to go:wink:

Cowboy_Jake
April 25th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I use the Drop Tine Whisker Biscuit. No moving parts & the arrow can't fall off. No fuss, no muss. 'Nuff said. :wink:

Some say their fletchings get tore-up, but you just gotta make sure they're glued well with an extra bit at the leading edge. I haven't had any hint of this problem.

Edit: Forgot to mention they come with little bits of felt that help keep things silent when nocking an arrow. Did I mention that it cost about half of what most drop-aways cost?

Hook Em
April 25th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Another vote for the drop zone....love mine.

jlmdlm
April 26th, 2007, 12:02 AM
For hunting.........Hard to beat a Whisker Biscuit. I like the simplicity.

pse_shooter
April 26th, 2007, 12:08 AM
u guys make it soo tough, lol

BowtechIAN
April 26th, 2007, 12:54 AM
NAP Quik tune 360 Capture rest with no fletching contact

IChim2
April 26th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Might as well give my pennies worth...I've tried several different brands but when i tried a Cobra Diamond Back that was it.Been using them(on my 5 Bows) for 2 years and omo but i wouldn't trade them for any rest on the market....

DiamondBack1
April 26th, 2007, 01:58 AM
FUSE Whisker Biscuit is awesome. easy set up, total arrow containment is the main advantages. Extremely cold temps can be a problem if your whiskers feeze up. This rarely happens.

INGOZI
April 26th, 2007, 03:10 AM
You will be hard pressed to find a more dependable, well built and solid rest than a Trophy Taker.

Tapfoot
April 26th, 2007, 08:40 AM
I like the Wb. used it for years, no problems. Trying out the Trap Door this year, I just like to play around with "toys". Trap Door works great too.

Hoyt1945
April 26th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Most of guys in LA (lower Arkansas) use the trophy taker. I tried the drop zone but went back to the trophy taker because it was quieter. It does'nt matter which drop away rest you use. Just get one. It makes shooting a bow much more enjoyable.

mocheese
April 26th, 2007, 08:56 AM
I've been using the TTs for a while now and like them very well. However, I have been considering trying the Schaffer this year for hunting.

Campo
April 26th, 2007, 09:03 AM
NAP Quik tune 360 Capture rest with no fletching contact

This is the rest I am currently using. I might be switching back to the Quiktune 2000 though this weekend. My 3D arrows are having contact issues due to the width of the shaft.

Earl
April 26th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Trophy Taker

Tarheeler
April 26th, 2007, 09:44 AM
I like the Frre fall I shoot the trap door on an older target/huntun bow

JJ57
April 26th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Been using them since they came out with zero malfunctions. Full arrow containment is the way to go. I have them on 4 of my bows and have put 1000's of shots through them. One less thing I have to worry about when I'm up in my tree stand hunting. Just my opinion. JJT

jdawg240
April 26th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Rip Cord

BOWCHIEF
April 26th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Get the Muzzy ZE and forget the rest.

I've tried quite a few rest and have gone back to my MZE.
- with moleskin on it, completely quiet on the draw
- IMO the quietest dropaway rest out there by far during the shot do to it's simple design. Only moving part is the link.

It depends what feature is most important to you. For me it must be completley quiet on the draw and for the shot.

IANative
April 26th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Being a K.I.S.S. disciple, I've been a WB fan/user since my intro to bowhunting. However, I just switched to the NAP 360. Same simplicity of loading and arrow containment, w/ zero fletching contact. Now, I've never experienced any fletching/vane damage in 4+ years of shooting WB's, but what sold me on the NAP 360 was simply drawing an arrow thru it by hand, then drawing one thru a WB by hand. You can feel the difference.

AdvanTimberLou
April 26th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Vital Bow Gear Kazaway. Simply awesome, full containment and simple to set up!!!

ascmtn
April 26th, 2007, 01:08 PM
I've used a LOT of different hunting rests, and they'll have to pry my Whisker Biscuit from my cold hands!

I fletch with Blazers, so I have ZERO vane problems.

I'll admit that I have kicked around the idea of putting a fall away rest back on it, but then I think of how I hunt and how many times my biscuit has been perfect. I do a lot of spot/stalk for whitetail, and many times my bow is sideways on the ground in front of me as I crawl and slither up over a hill for a shot. The same goes for antelope, where I think my bow was on it's side more than upright. Also, with my antelope, I needed to draw sideways while lying down, and then I raised to my knees at full draw to take the quick shot....

Now, IF I were going to try a fall away again, I'd give the Ripcord a try and try lining it with moleskin for quieteness.

SuperDogOne
April 26th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Everybody is using mechanical release aids,mechanical arrow rests,and mechanical broadheads.Don't you think sooner or later something going to fail.Keep it simple.

-bowfreak-
April 26th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I've tried quite a few rest and have gone back to my MZE.
- with moleskin on it, completely quiet on the draw
- IMO the quietest dropaway rest out there by far during the shot do to it's simple design. Only moving part is the link.

It depends what feature is most important to you. For me it must be completley quiet on the draw and for the shot.

What he said!!!:set1_signs009:

Smokegrub
April 26th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Whisker Biscuit

Speed Goat
April 26th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Cavalier Archery Avalanche.

pse_shooter
April 26th, 2007, 11:52 PM
well the top 3 are:

1.) Whisker Bisquit
2.) NAP
3.) muzzy / trophy taker

BCBhunter
April 27th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Tophy Ridge DROP ZONE!!!

BG_archer
April 27th, 2007, 10:40 AM
GKF Mirage !!!

Tracker12
April 27th, 2007, 10:50 AM
WB on my hunting bow!

OHbowhntr08
April 27th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Schaffer!!!

Lien2
April 27th, 2007, 12:08 PM
For hunting ONLY? Wisker bisquit without a doubt.

Lien2

LetThemGrow
April 27th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Whisker Biscuit. Didn't bother reading all the other opinions...this may have been said...but there is nothing close for simplicity, ease of use, and dependability. Blazers rock!

nsaqam
April 27th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Whisker Biscuit. Didn't bother reading all the other opinions...this may have been said...but there is nothing close for simplicity, ease of use, and dependability. Blazers rock!

What he said!

turkeyinstinct
April 27th, 2007, 04:33 PM
QAD Ultra, The only rest I will ever have on my bow.:darkbeer: :thumbs_up

ricksmathew
April 27th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Whisker Biscuit!

Buckedup
April 27th, 2007, 06:21 PM
RIP CORD all the way

KC-IL
April 27th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Trophy Taker. Looking forward to trying the new TT that's fully contained!!!!

Dewboy
March 20th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I just use my finger to hold the arrow up and drop it out of the way when I release! lol! NOT! I purchased a Drop Zone and a Trap Door for my X-Force 7. I will try the Trap Door first, and if it does ok, I will stick with it. I like the idea of NO strings attatched. I am concerned about it being too slow for the X-force. We'll see.

whack&stack
March 21st, 2008, 02:08 AM
whisker biscuit for me best hunting rest on the market imo

omnivore
April 5th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Bodoodle Game Dropper:)

Mikie Day
April 5th, 2008, 06:55 PM
WB Deluxe...the best hunting rest hands down...

Mikie

Midlife Crisis
April 5th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I bought a QAD Pro Series Ultra HD last week from Eders online for $93.46. It now sells for $120 on their website!:eek: Talk about price inflation!! I noticed a bunch of their other products jumped, too, by 20-45%. I guess the price list was out a date, but man that is one heck of a jump.

Have not installed the rest, yet, but I have shot one on a friend's bow. I think it is the best solution to a full capture rest out there. IMO

wildernessflyer
April 5th, 2008, 09:27 PM
As usual, there are as many opinions as there are rests...that's why all those companies stay in business.

Here's a different take for you. I often get rests for free, so cost is no object. I've shot over 2 dozen rests in the past 4 yrs....only missed a couple of the ones listed above. What do I have on my bows? I have 2 Drop Zones (one I paid for), and 2 Trophy Taker Shakey Hunters (one I paid for). Trust 'em both so much, I don't even look to see which rest is on the bow I'm selecting---the rest is simply not a factor in my choice because they both work so well. Been shooting both brands for nearly 5 yrs without a failure.

My advice? Don't take anyone's advice. You really need to try as many as you can and simply evaluate their strengths and weaknesses relative to your shooting/hunting style. And if you choose a Biscuit, pick out a good fletching jig, too.

coelkbowhunter
April 5th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Go Get The Best Rest.vapor Trail Limbdriver.hands Down The Best.

shell waster
April 5th, 2008, 10:20 PM
QAD Ultra HD, great rest and great customer service. I switch over to FOB's and wanted the launcher that gives a little more clearance, QAD sent me one for free.

huskerbowhuntin
April 5th, 2008, 11:31 PM
shaffer:darkbeer:

OklaArcher
September 13th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Anyone else had trouble with roll pin breaking on NAP rests? I've had to break, one in a tournament and one hunting. They're good rests but I just don't trust them anymore. Might just be bad luck.

xibowhunter
September 13th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Trophy Ridge Drop Zone!!

mdjohns300
September 13th, 2008, 09:20 AM
I have a drop zone on my Switchback and a Vital Bow Gear Kazaway on my Drenalin.....I like them both, but the containment system on the VB may be better for hunting.

1NYARCHER
September 13th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Drop zone on both my mathews,,,no issues 3yrs on the first and 1 year on the new bow

Daniel Boone
September 13th, 2008, 09:59 AM
You wont find an easier rest to set up.

No frills just good basic rest with no promblems.

Pronghorn works for me. :wink:

CHAMPION2
September 13th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Limb driver. If I was going to use something else it would be the whisker biscuit!!

Bllade
September 13th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I am glad to see that there are a few other Muzzy ZE users out there. Most of the rest threads I see on other forums you never see it mentioned.
I've had the ZE on my hunting bow for 8 years and on my 3D bow for 7. I've used a lot of others before that and I'll never use a WB. In all the years I've used the ZE the only complaint I have is from ruined arrows after either knocking them or robin hooding them.
As far as the claims of "containment" I've never seen anyone shoot a bow upside down and a lot of other rests the ZE included will hold the arrow steady at most angles that you may take a shot from.

dressed2kill
September 13th, 2008, 12:35 PM
WB and blazers and never look back!

6bloodychunks
September 13th, 2008, 12:38 PM
i like the freefall also, i got mine for $20 on clearance at a local store..

great rest ,but i would say go with the micro adjust model of the freefall
if you can find it...

realmfg
September 13th, 2008, 12:41 PM
WB and blazers and never look back!

Im putting this on my general which is hunting only. No complications to ever worry about.

JDS-1
September 13th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I'm going with a Whisker Buscuit rest from now on. Full containment, arrow stays put, and they are just as accurate as any dropaway. I was using a dropaway but I am so tired of timing issues :mad: WB easy to tune and dependable. The fletchings do have some contact and you might loose some speed but who cares. Think about what they did back in the day with recuves. Arrow rests on the shelf and at least 1 fletch ALWAYS contacted the shelf and animals were still taken :wink: (Tred Barta can do it, so can you!) :zip:

(I have a TT Shakey Hunter Fall away rest for sale)

moethedog
September 13th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Drop Zone...

Without a doubt...

Keith

Hitman39039
September 13th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Last few years I've hunted with a Trophy Taker, Crap Door, and had a TR Drop Zone on there most of this summer....The Trophy Taker was the best of those three to me....They all just made some noise....

Decided a few weeks ago to go with a full containment rest. Almost got a WB, as a friend of mine shoots one, and his made zero noise....However, at the last minute, I went with the Octane Hostage Pro, and love it....Just as quiet as a WB, with no fletching contact. Tunes easy, and dead silent....I'm loving it so far.

nealinMO
September 13th, 2008, 10:26 PM
My 1st fall away was the Trophy Taker and it worked fine, but it was noisy.

I changed to a Trophy Ridge DropZone and I really like it.. This will be my 4th season shooting it and I've never had any problems with it...

My dad is shooting a Shaffer Tech2 rest on his Katera and it is very well built rest.. It is simple to set up and the adjustability is very easy.. The shaffer Tech2 will be my next rest..

Hope this helps!!!!

trumbow
September 13th, 2008, 10:29 PM
trophy ridge drop zone

Hoyt Havoc
September 13th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I've been playing this game for 30 years now and have tried many rests. When the WB came out I thought it was a cool idea but I had a prong rest I liked at the time. The second year they were making them I bought one and really liked it. Then I started reading all the hoopla about fall aways. I tried a Ripcord first. I didn't think it did anything to improve my accuracy so I went back to the wb. Then I tried a trophy taker...went back. Then a qad which I liked most of the fall aways but I still went back to the WB. I even tried a Hostage but like the WB better. So I'm tied to the WB with no strings:wink: attached.