PDA

View Full Version : crawfish

tigerman
April 26th, 2007, 10:16 PM
anyone try to catch crawfish in traps. is there a trap i can make .. i want to catch enough for dinner. any tips on type of bait they prefer?
thanks

rdneckhntr
April 26th, 2007, 10:26 PM
If your talkin about crawdads then you can buy traps at basspro or cabelas...

XP35
April 27th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I catch them for bass bait. I make the traps and catch quite a few.

You need two jars. One small mayo jar and one this is at least one gallon. Paint the large on black and cut a 1 or 1 1/2" diameter hole on one edge of the lid. You put a small penlight inside the small jar (some jar lids may need to be sealed to make watertight) and place it in the big, black jar. Then move some rocks from the bottom of the creek and set the large jar so the hole in the lid is just off the bottom and weigh the jar down with the rocks you moved (or whatever it takes to hold it down). Just leave it in the creek overnight with the light on. The stupid critters crawl into the large jar looking for the light and cannot get back out. Just go collect them in the morning.

I have gotten as many as two dozen in one trap in a night. With a few of these you could easily get enough for dinner.

PMantle
April 27th, 2007, 09:45 AM
anyone try to catch crawfish in traps. is there a trap i can make .. i want to catch enough for dinner. any tips on type of bait they prefer?
thanks

The best bait I've ever used is called "melt". I think it is cow stomack lining or something, but it's not tripe. It's very red and bloody.

BTW, what the heck is a crawdad?

semobow
April 27th, 2007, 04:10 PM
You can make crawfish traps from 2 liter soda bottles. Let me see if I can find a pic for you.

Hornsgalore
April 27th, 2007, 04:40 PM
You can use minnow traps and bait them with white bread if you want but I use a 20' seine and go for field or roadside ditches. It takes two people. I got about 200 today in about an hour. make sure you clean them out in fresh water for 24 hours befor you cook 'em so they don't taste muddy. And don't forget to put polish sausage and corn on the cob in with the mix. Darn good eatin!!!!

rdneckhntr
April 29th, 2007, 06:42 PM
The best bait I've ever used is called "melt". I think it is cow stomack lining or something, but it's not tripe. It's very red and bloody.

BTW, what the heck is a crawdad?

We call crawfish crawdads here in WV.....guess its just a redneck word:embara:

semobow
April 29th, 2007, 10:14 PM
We call crawfish crawdads here in WV.....guess its just a redneck word:embara:

Don't feel so bad, they're called crawfish and crawdads here.

ASeriousHunter
April 30th, 2007, 02:09 PM
We used to have a bait and tackle shop and I usually just trapped crawdads. I used cheap metal minnow traps and cut about 1/4" off of the hole to allow the bigger ones in. I baited with cattle cubes(slower dissolving that hog pellets) and then liver in panty hose to keep them from eating it too fast.

Engelsmung
April 30th, 2007, 02:13 PM

Beef melt is the cow's spleen, which stores blood, hence the bloody factor. It works well, and stays attached to the net, but is used up after a couple of pick-ups. Shad is better, but will not stay in a net, so it's used for traps.

Around here you can get the 4 cornered drop nets anywhere, but the circular deep water crab type nets are harder to find.