PDA

View Full Version : St. Croix Fly Rods

AJ008
April 29th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Anyone use them? I just ordered my first fly rod and went with a 9' 7wt St Croix Reign.

Anyone else use a 7 wt? I was thinking about going with a 6 until I just now started fishing the Missouri and learned fish get bigger that 18 inches:eek:

MNmike
April 29th, 2007, 06:33 AM
I have several of the spinning and casting rods. They are great rod builders. I also been thinking of a heavy rod for pike and large trout and salmon. A 8wt was what I'm thinking.

PA Dave
April 30th, 2007, 07:13 AM
A 6wt would handle the fish, but with the winds that usually blow on bigger rivers, you will definitely appreciate the extra casting punch of the 7wt.

You do realize that this is just the beginning...next you will need a 5wt for smaller rivers...then a 3wt for those small feeder creeks...and a 9wt because, well, you just need it and you'll figure out a reason when the time comes. :wink:

Welcome to the other benign addiction. :darkbeer:

AJ008
April 30th, 2007, 11:16 AM
LOL yeah Dave but for a good starting all around I think a 7 will do. Hope they show up soon because I just broke my spin cast rod:angry:

PA Dave
May 1st, 2007, 07:15 AM
Not to worry. In another two years you won't need it anymore...:wink:

TCR1
May 4th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Not to worry. In another two years you won't need it anymore...:wink:

It doesn't take that long. It took me about 20 minutes to forget about the other stuff...though Hornet's posts have me thinking about the other stuff now:confused:

OkStateBow
May 4th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I agree with Dave before you know it you'll have all kinds of fly rods. I own 3 St. Croix's and I really like the things, no complaints.

Archeryman101
May 12th, 2007, 11:15 PM
They make some nice rods. If it is your first one then it will be just fine. Make your next purchase a SAGE rod!

395magnum
May 13th, 2007, 12:44 PM
i have an 8wt that i use for bass. I wouldnt trade that rod for anything. St.Croix builds some great rods with great components.