PDA

View Full Version : Abu Revo SX

Brown Hornet
April 30th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Ok I am in the market for some new reels. I am a huge Daiwa fan in fact that is all I really like to use.

Here is my delima.....I played with a revo at Bass Pro Shops while at Nationals. I was a hair away from buying a new Zillion. But after reading reviews on it....it doesn't seem like it is going to be something that I want as one of my main reels. I mostly throw 3/8-1/2oz spinner baits/buzz baits, top water and 1/4-1/2 oz crankbaits on my casters. I don't do much flipping and pitching as I don't have a boat. So my plastics are usually thrown on spinning tackle.

Are the new Revos that nice? I have only heard good things about them (if you take out the fan boy responses:rolleyes:)

But before I drop the coin on one I want to know if it is going to live up to all of my Team Daiwas? I mean there is a reason that I don't spend $$ on anything but Daiwa stuff....it is because I am usually disappointed in the other stuff. So should I get a Revo SX or stay with what I know and get a Zillion or SOL?:wink:

rdneckhntr
May 1st, 2007, 08:23 PM
I dont know anything about the reel but I was just lookin at a Cabelas magazine and Im wishin i could AFFORD a Diawa....lol...

hooknlargemouth
May 1st, 2007, 09:48 PM
The SX is great get the 7 to 1 ratio..It will be good for burning a spinnerbait..Ive got two sx's, very smooth, real small... Im very happy with mine..

Brown Hornet
May 2nd, 2007, 10:35 AM
I dont know anything about the reel but I was just lookin at a Cabelas magazine and Im wishin i could AFFORD a Diawa....lol...

Just like archery equipment....I don't skimp.:wink: You get what you pay for from Daiwa....I can't say the same for all the companies. But I have never had one problem with ANY of the Daiwa reels I have owned in the past 17 years. :eek: Can't say the same for the others....like the 5 Quantums that I blew worm gears on. :eek:

Brown Hornet
May 2nd, 2007, 10:40 AM
The SX is great get the 7 to 1 ratio..It will be good for burning a spinnerbait..Ive got two sx's, very smooth, real small... Im very happy with mine..

Well I will start testing one tomorrow....It has been shipped and the FedEx man will be dropping it off tomorrow.:wink:

But I didn't order the 7 to 1....I got got the left handed one first. I am still amazed at all of the right handed people that don't use left handed reels. :noidea: I almost feel in the floor laughing the other day watching a "PRO" flipping with his reel turned upside down/sideways so he could have his pole in his right hand.....I know Daiwa makes left handed baitcasters.

I will either order another one in a couple weeks or go with the Zillion....if I like it like I think I will I may just save the $100 and get another spinning reel.:wink:

hooknlargemouth
May 2nd, 2007, 12:08 PM
I can flip with my left hand. Its not to hard once get the hang of it.

Brown Hornet
May 2nd, 2007, 12:59 PM
I can flip with my left hand. Its not to hard once get the hang of it.

I can to....but I have a bad left wrist (tore tendons a long time ago) and it is much easier for me to do everthing with my right wrist....plus I am right handed.:wink:

OkStateBow
May 2nd, 2007, 01:08 PM
I've always used Abu's and I really like them. I've had a few quantams and diawa's but they just didn't hold up and now they collect dust. If I ever have a problem with one I just send it back, they fix it no questions asked. the only problems I've had are two line guides which isn't bad for fishing the things as much as do. 2 problems out of 25 reels that's not bad

rdneckhntr
May 2nd, 2007, 07:10 PM
Just like archery equipment....I don't skimp.:wink: You get what you pay for from Daiwa....I can't say the same for all the companies. But I have never had one problem with ANY of the Daiwa reels I have owned in the past 17 years. :eek: Can't say the same for the others....like the 5 Quantums that I blew worm gears on. :eek:

I used my uncles Diawa last summer...the thing had to be atleast 15years old...I liked it better than my expensive(to me anyways) quantum lol...

Brown Hornet
May 2nd, 2007, 07:31 PM
I used my uncles Diawa last summer...the thing had to be atleast 15years old...I liked it better than my expensive(to me anyways) quantum lol...

I have several Daiwa's that have some age on them. One of my spinning reels is about 15 years old and the only reason I don't use it anymore is because it doesn't have anti reverse. One of my baitcasters is about 8 years old....it still works fine.

We will see how the Revo does.....it will get it's first test tomorrow:wink:

rdneckhntr
May 2nd, 2007, 08:17 PM
I have several Daiwa's that have some age on them. One of my spinning reels is about 15 years old and the only reason I don't use it anymore is because it doesn't have anti reverse. One of my baitcasters is about 8 years old....it still works fine.

We will see how the Revo does.....it will get it's first test tomorrow:wink:

Ive actually been toying with the idea of seein if he'd sell it to me lol...

Brown Hornet
May 3rd, 2007, 09:59 AM
Ive actually been toying with the idea of seein if he'd sell it to me lol...

Just buy a new one.....or go on Ebay and get a newer model for cheap.:)

rdneckhntr
May 3rd, 2007, 04:41 PM
Just buy a new one.....or go on Ebay and get a newer model for cheap.:)

Thanks hornet...you got me thinkin baitcasters now lol...I think Im gonna look at the Diawa Procaster Tourny...Ill see if gandermtn has it next time i stop in...

Brown Hornet
May 4th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Personally I would save a couple more $$ and go with the Daiwa Advantage or the Abu Revo S. They both are about $100 and much better reels. You can get both for under $100 on Ebay.:wink:

RCL
May 4th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Personally I would save a couple more $$ and go with the Daiwa Advantage or the Abu Revo S. They both are about $100 and much better reels. You can get both for under $100 on Ebay.:wink:

Cabelas has them on sale for $69.95.....
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20331&id=0029226119141a&navCount=3&podId=0029226&parentId=cat20331&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20331&hasJS=true

For a novice like me to casting reels, this has been a good thread..thank you...:thumb:
I'm looking to set up a general purpose medium weight rod and that Advantage reel looks like it may be the ticket....:wink: :fish2:

Brown Hornet
May 4th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Ok yesterday was the first day with the Revo......

HOLLY COW. This spool is fast as crap.:eek:

With my 6-7 year old Daiwas I never backlash...ok maybe one small one a day but they are still very rare. The spool on this Revo is so smooth and so fast that it cast a mile. I can cast this reel farther then my old Daiwas with about half the effort.:eek: But it is going to take me a couple days to get used to the spool speed so I stop backlashing.:wink:

I also tried the new Trilene Maxx line. I don't know if part of the problem is the new line. It is as tough or tougher then XT but although it cast farther then the XL that I had on my older reels....I can't say that it is the line since it is thicker in diameter (I normaly use 17lb on my spinnerbait/crankbait rods). I will have to spool up with some XL or XT to really compare the line.

rdneckhntr
May 4th, 2007, 06:48 PM

I would but I just found out I have to put some money into my truck...so its gonna be a while before I can get it...I was really thinkin about that reel with the combo basspro has....$65.99....Ill try them both out though before I even think about puttin money down...

hooknlargemouth
May 4th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Ok yesterday was the first day with the Revo......

HOLLY COW. This spool is fast as crap.:eek:

With my 6-7 year old Daiwas I never backlash...ok maybe one small one a day but they are still very rare. The spool on this Revo is so smooth and so fast that it cast a mile. I can cast this reel farther then my old Daiwas with about half the effort.:eek: But it is going to take me a couple days to get used to the spool speed so I stop backlashing.:wink:

I also tried the new Trilene Maxx line. I don't know if part of the problem is the new line. It is as tough or tougher then XT but although it cast farther then the XL that I had on my older reels....I can't say that it is the line since it is thicker in diameter (I normaly use 17lb on my spinnerbait/crankbait rods). I will have to spool up with some XL or XT to really compare the line.

Just wait till you put it on a loomis rod.....:zip: :zip: :zip:

Brown Hornet
May 5th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Just wait till you put it on a loomis rod.....:zip: :zip: :zip:

Yesterday was much better. :wink: The Maxx line is SUPER tough but I still don't think it cast as well as XL or even XT....but the jury is still out. I am going to spool up one of my spinning reels today just to get a true test.:)

leon j chartier
May 6th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I have a revo sx I love it.very smooth feels great in my hand and also cast great.

Brown Hornet
May 8th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I have a revo sx I love it.very smooth feels great in my hand and also cast great.

Yes it does...after the past couple days I have discovered that it just doesn't like lighter baits as much as my older Daiwas do. 3/8 and up are great 1/2 are wonderful....people on the other side of the river better look out.:wink: