PDA

View Full Version : Check this out!!

WIbowshooter
April 30th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Got this in my email. The story goes as following...

This is awesome. While fighting a 36" pike, a 54" - 44# pike attacked
the smaller fish and was brought into the boat...!

Got this from our production manager, a buddy of his went north fishing
Rainy Lake (actually the river) but we'll drive by that enroute to
Savant Lake again. Show to Luke and advise that the BIG fish is the one
we're going for this year. I should note, the bait fish (in big fish's
mouth) was over the slot limit at 36". This would significantly
increase the final cost of this years canada trip if I happen to catch
something like this. No replica would hit my wall, that fish would not
be swimming any longer as I'd turn him into wall art.
>>>>>>
I'm afraid to swim in the water.
Here's a couple of pics you might enjoy. One for the books. This 54
inch,
44 lb. Northern Pike

Brown Hornet
May 1st, 2007, 10:16 AM
HOLLY ISH :eek:

I have seen that before with bass....catch a little one or a bluegill and get a big bass to hit it while you are pulling it in. One of my cousins caught a 5 lb largemouth like this. When I was in highschool a buddy of mine was pulling in a 2-3 lb largemouth and had a musky steal the bass while I was reaching down to lip him....talk about almost pooping your pants.:thumbs_do I also had a 15-20 lb stripper blow up a 7 ft custom ultra light rod I had when he decided that the hickory shad I had was fighting looked like a good snack.:wink:

But those pics are great.

*red-ranger*
May 1st, 2007, 10:22 AM
fake

Obsession
May 1st, 2007, 10:25 AM
Great pics!! I love fishing but I'll be honest...if I see something that big at the end of my fishing pole...the pole's going in the water and I'm calling it a day :wink:

Paul S.
May 1st, 2007, 12:01 PM
The two pictures are unrelated. Let me say first that the fish in the 2nd picture is a freakin' monster! If i caught that, I'd stop pike fishing, you ain't getting one bigger than that! As far as the first picture goes, the fish in the others mouth is a hammer handle, not even close to 36". I'd bet the attacking fish is in the 20's though.:thumbs_up

mdewitt71
May 1st, 2007, 01:37 PM
I have seen the 1st pic circulate the web last year, but nothing on the 2nd pic.

Buksknr53
May 1st, 2007, 01:54 PM
Great pics!! I love fishing but I'll be honest...if I see something that big at the end of my fishing pole...the pole's going in the water and I'm calling it a day :wink:

That's so funny! I have seen a lot of women do just that. My ex caught a bluegill once and when it started flopping around, she took off running with the rod and dragged the poor fish to death.

Buksknr53
May 1st, 2007, 02:01 PM
I was fishing for trout on the Potomack, when a 42" striper grabbed a 14" trout that I was reeling in. It scared the heck out of me as I was about to lift the trout out of the water. I landed the striper and won the jackpot ($50) for the biggest fish during the trip.

XP35
May 1st, 2007, 02:20 PM
WOW! I've seen these pics before, but these are amazing fish!! I have seen bass, pickerel and northerns do that here. Fun stuff! :thumbs_up

But how did he land the larger fish if the lure's hook is only in the smaller fish's mouth and the larger one cannot be hooked? :noidea: I can tell you this much...I have only landed one fish that attacked one I was reeling in. Heck, once a large bass (7 or 8 pounds) grabbed a yellow perch I was reeling in 6 or 7 times without getting hooked. And I have seen this happen 5 or 6 times. And that one time I did hook up the larger one (30" chain pickerel....small Northern basically) got ahold of a treble on the large Rapala I was using.

So I'd have to say the two photos are unrelated. But still amazing specimens for sure.

Brown Hornet
May 1st, 2007, 02:41 PM
WOW! I've seen these pics before, but these are amazing fish!! I have seen bass, pickerel and northerns do that here. Fun stuff! :thumbs_up

But how did he land the larger fish if the lure's hook is only in the smaller fish's mouth and the larger one cannot be hooked? :noidea: I can tell you this much...I have only landed one fish that attacked one I was reeling in. Heck, once a large bass (7 or 8 pounds) grabbed a yellow perch I was reeling in 6 or 7 times without getting hooked. And I have seen this happen 5 or 6 times. And that one time I did hook up the larger one (30" chain pickerel....small Northern basically) got ahold of a treble on the large Rapala I was using.

So I'd have to say the two photos are unrelated. But still amazing specimens for sure.

You would be amazed at how long a fish will hang on before it lets go when not hooked. I have caught many a fish that as soon as I grabbed them....they opened their mouths and the hook feel out. Heck I caught a 3+lb largemouth once that didn't have a hook in him. A few years back when Strike King came out with their 3X line of baits I was throwing a Zero and a bass hit. I fought him for about 20 yds....he jumped once and I thought that something looked weird. Well he had a hold of the tail of the bait and the hook was about 3 ft away (yep the bait was stretched out and he wasn't about to let go). I got him in the boat and he finally turned it loose. I guess he really liked garlic.:wink:

XP35
May 1st, 2007, 02:51 PM
He must've LOVED garlic!

I just think you aren't lifting 44# out of the water without a jumbo sized hook planted through a bony face plate. ;) And I seriously doubt dude jumped into the water and went Steve Erwin on his ass, then wrangled that giant, angry meat tube with 3" teeth into the boat! :ROFLMAO:

Obsession
May 1st, 2007, 02:58 PM
That's so funny! I have seen a lot of women do just that. My ex caught a bluegill once and when it started flopping around, she took off running with the rod and dragged the poor fish to death.

LOL...I wouldnt go running for no bluegill but when something that looks like Jaws is on the other end of the line...I'm all DONE :p

doctariAFC
May 1st, 2007, 03:09 PM
LOL...I wouldnt go running for no bluegill but when something that looks like Jaws is on the other end of the line...I'm all DONE :p

Oh come on! Its just a little fishy fishy fishy :D

How about if you caught one of these, would you run from this, too?

tackscall
May 1st, 2007, 03:20 PM
I think the second picture is of a muskie

Obsession
May 1st, 2007, 03:26 PM
Oh come on! Its just a little fishy fishy fishy :D

How about if you caught one of these, would you run from this, too?

Not run exactly, just hand him my pole :p :wink:

Nice work on your part though :)

rdneckhntr
May 1st, 2007, 08:18 PM
The second pic is from a tv show...my mind went blank and i cant remember which one it was but i recognize the guy and the moster fish...

Floridarcher
May 11th, 2007, 12:02 AM
That happend to us one time when in the gulf
We where about 45 or so miles out my dads friend with us got a nice AJack(AmberJack) got it about 10 feet below the boat and a mako about 14 feet long ate it whole

The we tried to get the shark while he circuled the boat:wink: