PDA

View Full Version : whats your main bass lure.

No.1 Hoyt
May 4th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I fish mainly texas rigged curly tail worms. i usually use Manns Hardnose or berkly power bait. I also use straight tailed worms like senkos. Ive also had success on yamamato hula grubs. I use an occaisonal spinner too. What do you guys use?

ciscokid
May 4th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Tequila sunrise 7 inch plastic worm

hooknlargemouth
May 4th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Black & Blue Jig..:rock-on: :rock-on:

archerdad
May 5th, 2007, 12:17 AM
frog pattern buzz bait with a clacker. minnow type crank bait, and anything white or pumpkin seed plastics.

biggest bass on a brown and green spinner with a willow blade in gold.

Jersey Ray
May 5th, 2007, 12:32 AM
This Is Top Secret Information: Topwater:Bass Pro Lazer Eye Buzzbait 1/8oz. Black& Blue. Rubber:SENKO OR ZOOM Junebug All The Way!!, Jerkbaits: Rapala Husky Jerk ,Crankbaits: Spros & Fat Free Shad. GOOD LUCK, SEE YA ON THE WATER!!!!! TILL FALL ANYWAY!!!!!:wink:

Paul S.
May 5th, 2007, 12:42 AM
My go-to lure is a 3/8oz spinnerbait, color and blades depending on the conditions.:)

WAID
May 5th, 2007, 02:09 AM
White spinner bait for largemouth and tube jigs for smallmouth

XP35
May 5th, 2007, 08:56 AM
I don't have a main lure, but a few standbys.....

Rapalas of different sizes, styles and colors. Almost any sportfish will jump on these!

Buzzbaits and bass-style spinners.

Power Worms with Gamakatsu hooks (these babies are evil sharp!).

All types of jigs, but mostly bass jigs and tubes.

MNmike
May 5th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I through a white buzz or spinner bait more often than anything else.

No.1 Hoyt
May 5th, 2007, 10:19 AM
thanks for replying everyone. last Sunday i went out. I caught 9 bass. 6 on Manns Hardnose and 3 on Berkly powerbait.

boomer1
May 5th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I like 4" green w/ red flake bass tubes. Just my preference.

Brown Hornet
May 5th, 2007, 12:27 PM
I don't have a main one.

I do have favorite makes of certain lures or styles. I like certain makes of crankbaits and that's what I am going to throw if I am going to throw a crankbait......but it has to be the right model for that situation. I am not going to throw a bait that runs 0-3ft if the fish are 10 ft down.

I like certain makes of spinnerbaits...and the smae goes for plastics.....and topwater baits. I throw what I need to throw.:wink:

Fireman131
May 6th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I will throw a White/Chartruse Buzz bait or a white/chartruse spinner bait. When they get slow then it is a watermelon worm Texas Rig.

OkStateBow
May 7th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I fish a little bit of everything, but I really like plastics such as a variety of worms, soft jerk baits, spider grubs (really like chompers) and oh yeah you gotta have those topwater baits.

Phoenix34
May 7th, 2007, 08:11 PM
For lakes it's a 4'' tube jig, either in white, blue/black, or black/chartruese. For smallies I've been using the little Arkie 2'' soft craw trailers, just rig it on a hook and use enough split shot on the line to suit the conditions. It has been my biggest producer many times over in the past couple years here in MO.

Soilarch
May 8th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Various spinnerbaits
Various Rapalas
Purple Worm w/ Anise oil texas-rig

In that order are my go to lures and about all I really have (for "bass") aside from some small buzzbaits, spinners, and a weedless frog.

ATB
May 8th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Lures I like to throw and use the most Spinnerbaits, Buzzbaits anything topwater.
My go to when I the above things are not working and I want to catch a Largemouth the weightless texas rigged 7in ribbon tailed worm in a color appropriate for the water clarity.

stump water
May 8th, 2007, 10:03 AM
red shad

Brown Hornet
May 8th, 2007, 01:46 PM
red shad

Isn't that just a color?

you chunkin crayons or what?:confused: :wink:

StevieJAngler
May 9th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Isn't that just a color?

you chunkin crayons or what?:confused: :wink:

i would try that!!
my favorite is a carolina rigged 10 1/2" berkly power worm in balck with blue tail with an inch taken off from the head end. worked very slowly.

Brown Hornet
May 10th, 2007, 08:31 AM
i would try that!!
my favorite is a carolina rigged 10 1/2" berkly power worm in balck with blue tail with an inch taken off from the head end. worked very slowly.

I would kill myself if I had to fish that slow. LOL:)

Buksknr53
May 10th, 2007, 09:22 AM
My favorite go to bass lure would have to be the Heddon Lucky 13. It comes in different sizes, but the Tiny Lucky 13 has worked best for me. It is the smallest one that they make (2"). It is a shallow diving lure and is deadly when fished during the right conditions. The Lucky 13 has accounted for my biggest bass ever (12 lbs. from a farm pond) and many others. The 12 pounder had 3 other lures stuck in his lips when I caught him.

thenson
May 10th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Curly Tail Purple worm works all year around, sometimes with Texas rig and sometimes weightless in weedy conditions.

Bill Normans' Weed Walker for on top of moss or on top of really weedy spots. Some of my biggest bass ever have been caught thru heavy moss.

Occasional Buzz Bait spinner.

Crawdad looking crank baits.

RyanH
May 11th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Zoom baby brush Hog watermelon red!

wickedbullmouse
May 12th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Tap's Bug in a natural color (tan, white, olive) on a 2/0-2X long Bass hook. Black with a white face Tap's for night-time. On my trusty 8 wt Flyrod.

Donhudd
May 12th, 2007, 08:47 PM
A great big wad of nightcrawlers

301fps
May 16th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Half a stick of dynomite and a really large net???

dc1003
May 28th, 2007, 04:27 PM
If I had to pick just one.......... Soft Jerkbait, like a zoom fluke or strike king zulu. I like to fish alot of other stuff, but I always keep a rod with a soft jerkbait on it.

Elite13
May 28th, 2007, 06:17 PM
a rattle trap:tongue:

NCBuckNBass
May 28th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Jan thru March

1. Black Jig & Pig w/rattle
2. Mann's Hank Parker Spinner bait white/chart. 3/4 oz
2. Diving Balsa Minnow made by Bagleys

April

Avocada Lizard Caroling Rig

May

Spook in the morning

A.C. Shinner in Bone color

Carolina Rig Worm later

Summer

Buzzbaits at night (can't beat a Lunker Lure)
best time is 11 to 1:30 A.M. normally.
If they don't hit a buzzbait in the first twenty minutes go with a Texas-rigged worm

Carolina Rig 7 1/2 Tequila Sunrise Worm or Crawdad

13 feet seems to be the magic depth here daytime mid morning is best

Fall

Crankbaits
Top water spitters

Indian Summer late Fall in the afternoon is Slugo chaser after a buzzbait strike. Keep two rods ready at all times and hit the fallen trees at 3-5 p.m.

Winter

Trolling DB-3's fast! (it's deadly)
caught 20 bass 5-7 1/2 pounds) in three hours in freezing cold last year first day of muzzloader at 22 feet. It was too nasty to hunt! We troll two to four rods and had multiple hook-ups everytime we hit these two underwater humps. Those fish are there every year same spot. One is a submerged farm pond in 33 feet and they are all over the top of the pond dam at 22-23. ANother spot is an underwater ridge that drops straight from 22 to 35 near off a main lake point. Speed is the key. Makes them strike in those big winter schools. I know it goes against convential wisdom , but it will slay 'em.

I went out one day with the local biologist doing shocking surveys. We shocked up hundreds of 5-9 ponders on May 29th in 90 degree weather. Interesting thing was the water was hot, the spawn had been over a month and all these with were in timber along the back in 2-8 feet of water. Some small trees had as many as five big bass on them. In fact either a tree had no fish or multiplies. Taught me if I caught a fish to keep hitting the same tree or to come back to it.

muskie_man
May 28th, 2007, 11:31 PM
A 7 inch Green Pumpkin Shaky Head and a black/blue buzzbait!

BigWave
May 29th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Zoom baby brush Hog watermelon red!

Yup. Me too, that and a 7" original Power Worm in the Pumpkinseed flavor. Kills em almost every time!

predator86
May 29th, 2007, 04:23 AM
cant believe no one has said my two favorite topwater lures, the jitterbug and the hula popper!!!!hands down my best topwaters and i also use spinnerbaits and texas-rigged worms, no weight.......

dc1003
May 29th, 2007, 01:48 PM
cant believe no one has said my two favorite topwater lures, the jitterbug and the hula popper!!!!hands down my best topwaters and i also use spinnerbaits and texas-rigged worms, no weight.......

:thumbs_up If I am out at night I always have a jitterbug tied on one rod, thats my all time favorite night time topwater.

ratsodav
May 29th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Here in Illinois, I like to go with a black/blue lizard. Thats what I usually catch the hawgs with.

keb73
May 29th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Weightless trick worm like a Zoom in bubblegum.....I just use that color so I can see my worm....This is my go to rig from clear water open flats to stained water with cover....I Texas rig the hook and can work it in some pretty thick stuff if I have to.....Only time I don't throw it is if the wind is blowing hard enough to cause a bow in my line....This makes it difficult to work it right and to feel it....In windy conditions I'll go to a spinnerbait or maybe a standard weighted Texas rigged worm....

DwayneR
May 29th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Hello Predator!

cant believe no one has said my two favorite topwater lures, the jitterbug and the hula popper!!!!

You is the MAN!!! My favorites too!!!

Dwayne

bigdog02
May 29th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Rebel Pop-R can't beat it during the summer here in PA.

gollie15
May 29th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Tequila sunrise 7 inch plastic worm
Me too :darkbeer:

but,

Years ago, Lazy Ike made a worm with a small spoon molded into a Jighead & called it a wiggley worm. Best bass bait I ever threw. I still look for them everytime I come up on a small bait store, in some outta the way place. :sad:

DeerslayinSOB
May 29th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I am a big fan of the jig-n-pig. As for top water it's hard to beat the zara spook.

Yamahammer89
May 29th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I'll go with Bigdog on this one--The Rebel Pop-R in black and silver with deer tail. Then the hula popper.

jscott
May 29th, 2007, 09:50 PM
My go-to lure is a 3/8oz spinnerbait, color and blades depending on the conditions.:)

Listen to this man I'll bet he catches fish. I like mine with a little green if the water is stained...

Scott

UCNYbowhunter
May 29th, 2007, 10:06 PM
spring time jerk bait husky suspending or spinnerbait summer early morning a spook or pop-R n during the day kalin grub or finnese worms crankbait if there real active fall hair jigs for smallies kalin grubs and spinnerbaits for largemouth i do think after mondays fishing on the smallie river by me tube baits are gonna come into play real soon

sbchunter
May 30th, 2007, 04:38 PM
MIMIC MINOW!!!! you can catch anything on those things depending on size plus color, .99-1.19 a peice, I was fishing for bass with one switched to a smaller one and BAM started catching crappie

t4daddy
June 2nd, 2007, 06:05 PM
Green pumpkin, Texas rigged Zoom trick worm.

dbertram85
June 4th, 2007, 12:33 PM
i go with the 5" yamamoto senkos texas rigged

nealinMO
June 7th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Right now I'm catching a ton on bass on anything colored in Tequila Sunrise.. I'm using Gulp Turtleback worms, Berkley Powerbait worms and Yum Wooly HawgTail.. Here in North Missouri they're hammerin em'!!!!!!

rcr7mm
June 7th, 2007, 11:43 PM
I mainly use 10 inch berkley power bait worm texas rigged find a lot of smaller fish leave it alone. Has worked cosistently for me at all depths. tequilla sunrise color seems best in my area. Can throw it in the thickest areas with minimal hangup issues. I also like the original floating rapala when i find them schooled up.

ROSNYD
June 17th, 2007, 06:56 AM
i go with the 5" yamamoto senkos texas rigged

Thats my go-to weapon of choice also
the "sweet potato pie" is puttin some dandys in the boat.

Jeff K in IL
June 17th, 2007, 07:04 AM
I could catch bass all day on Senko's or their knockoffs. I prefer the 4" one though...:wink:

tcooll77
June 17th, 2007, 10:47 PM
chompers twin tail grubs

hoyt08
June 18th, 2007, 12:45 AM
5'' Gary Yamomoto Senko
5'' Wave Worm
5'' Kinami Worm

All Texas rigged. Pumpkin seed seems to work the best!

Tarheeler
June 18th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Tiki Stick wave worm -- red Gamakatsu 5/0

Mizzoukispot
August 26th, 2007, 07:30 PM
For me in Florida it is a wild shiner....but as far as artificials, a gitzit is my go to.

NitroJunkie
August 26th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Jig N' Pig. Black / Blue and a touch of green keeps producing. ALL of my biggest bass I have caught with a Jig N' Pig / Crawdad trailer. It's my go to and I fish jigs about 75 - 80% of the time

Yellowfin
August 30th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Zoom lizards in a few various colors on a Gamakatsu or Daiichi circle hook.

semobow
August 30th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I use various lures throughout the year but my goto/confidence bait is a Zoom super fluke soft plastic jerk bait in silver rainbow color.

melbyr
August 30th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Depends on the season, weather conditions, night or day fishing, but probably the lure I fish the most in our heavily pressured deep, clear water lakes (Bull Shoals & Norfok) is a finese lucky strike 4 " worm c- rig with a 1/2 oz. tungsten weight. :thumbs_up

Ranger518
August 30th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Jig....far and away...it's my most versatile bait!

RebelYell
August 31st, 2007, 12:19 AM
After 30-35 tourny's this year, mine has changed to a 3/16 Shakey head with watermelon/red dust 6 inch trick worm. It saved y butt many times this year and put about 3k in my pocket.

doctariAFC
August 31st, 2007, 10:30 AM
3/8 oz Jig & Pig, Black, or black and pumpkin, with a dash or chartreuse, flat black Zoom Small Salty Chunk Trailer.

1/4 oz Bitsy Bug, Black or pumpkin & green, with Zoom Super Chunk Jr trailer (in black or in green pumpkinseed)

7" Berkeley Power Worm - Red Shad, either Texas-rigged or split shot rig, depending on the mood of the fish.

Rat-L-Traps, 1/4 oz - 1/2 oz, orange craw and black & silver

Tube jibs, 3" and 45", smoke, green, pumpkinseed, weight depends on depth and wind speed

Zoom Fluke Worm, in the weed beds, unweighted, or same fluke worked on a drop shot rig in the depths vertical jigged

1/2 oz Silver Buddy, vertical jigged or cast out and hop along bottom (deadly on early and late season Big E smallies)

At night, its hard to beat a black 1/4 - 3/8 oz Jitterbug

schwik
September 5th, 2007, 06:29 AM
I use a 7 inch pumpkin seed curly tail worm for largemouth and a Bomber Tigershark crankbait for smallmouth with much success.:wink:

Lawrence Archer
September 5th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Various color jighead(1/16th to 1/8th) with any color(red, yellow, green, red/black, white/black, yellow/black, green/yellow, white, black, gold, silver) 2-3-4" single tail grubs for smallmouth up here in NS. At the lake we go to, there's big ones in droves. :D

spartan212
October 16th, 2007, 11:16 AM
7.5 inch black culprit worm w/ gamakatsu 3/0 and 3/8 oz bullet weight as far as crank baits its hard to beat the mann's 1 minus

SmrtWntCrzy
October 31st, 2007, 11:27 PM
Firetiger Big-O, tiny torpedo, dying flutter, and power bait 1 inch grubs on very light jig head smoked along the top are all deadly where I do most of my fishing.Also rebel teeny wee crawfish hotshoted in the rapids is like money in the bank.