PDA

View Full Version : Catfish

Rut N Hard
May 10th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Anyone been doing any catfishing in there spare time. I have been nailing the heck out of the crappies here in Central Illinois ive gotte 1-16incher and a couple 15 inchers the bass are biting well but I cant seem to snag a catfish if my life depended on it. This really isnt bowhunting but I dont care. Just wanted to see if anyone else is having any luck and if so what they are catching!!:wink:

firecapt186
May 10th, 2007, 02:57 AM
I don't fish for them but, dive the shallow lakes and shoot them out of old cypress stumps, with spearguns. My driver and i was just talking about it tonight, times getting right for them to start moving into the stumps. As soon as we make a trip i'll post the pic.'s

nealinMO
May 10th, 2007, 04:42 AM
My neighbor came home with a 70 lb and a 98 lb blue cat yesterday.. I don't have the patients to sit out all day and watch my bobber float..

ARCHERYSNOB
May 10th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Cat fishing is great . I am hoping to drop a line in the water this weekend.

Kstigall
May 10th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I'm cleaning the boat up and getting it ready!! I have a standing date with some big Flatheads and blues.

Brown Hornet
May 10th, 2007, 03:31 PM
My neighbor came home with a 70 lb and a 98 lb blue cat yesterday.. I don't have the patients to sit out all day and watch my bobber float..

You aren't catching big blues fishing with a bobber.....:wink:

But I hate sitting and waiting to.....that's why I like bass fishing. But I have only caught one cat so far this year on a 1/2 spinnerbait. They should heat up soon. Last spring I must have caught 100 cats on spinnerbaits:eek:

Brown Hornet
May 10th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I'm cleaning the boat up and getting it ready!! I have a standing date with some big Flatheads and blues.

Didn't know you had a boat.....you are gonna have to mossie up this way one weekend.:wink:

obsessedLSS
May 10th, 2007, 05:12 PM
i don't do much freshwater, cats especially...but if and when i do....

what is the best way to clean them?

Brown Hornet
May 10th, 2007, 05:15 PM
i don't do much freshwater, cats especially...but if and when i do....

what is the best way to clean them?

Fillet knife and a pair of pliers.

ASeriousHunter
May 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM
The easiest way to clean big cats are to cut the area between their gills at the smallest point and leave them in the water. They will bleed out and the meat will be pretty and white. Tie a 1/4" braided rope or bigger to a clothesline pole or a stout tree limb. Cut just the skin around his head and lengthwise down belly and back. A pair of pliers will work, but a pair of skinning pliers work best. Skin him hanging and then slice to the ribs down the back and fillet around the ribs, then filet the inside of the ribs. Fillet the tail out and do the same for the other side. Lay the fillet flat and slice out the dark down the center, roll it over and scrape the gray off the belly and all fat. Cut up into pieces and soak in salt water. Dip in egg and milk and your favorite covering and fry in butter crisco. MMM good. I am going to go cat fishing this afternoon.

rdneckhntr
May 11th, 2007, 05:37 PM
I went last night...they werent biting but the gar were...we caught 2 gar that went atleast 3'. Im probably gonna go sometime this weekend...

goatranch
May 11th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I really miss it. I need to get off my arse and go catch some big cats!!!

Love to go down on the river at around 9-10:00PM and stay all night during the summer.

rdneckhntr
May 11th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Love to go down on the river at around 9-10:00PM and stay all night during the summer.

I did that a lot last summer. Didnt catch many but its fun...build up a fire and bs with the a few friends. We did catch a nice 21' drum last year...

gator
May 12th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Just got back from NE Oklahoma, been fishing since Tuesday. We managed to catch an 80lb, 30lb, and 25lb flathead, and some smaller blues. Water level got WAY high on us, rose somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 FEET while we were there

Best way I have EVER seen to clean them, is hang'em, cut the tails, let'em bleed. Then lay them flat, filet them off the bone, then just cut into the meat to about 1/8" or so from the skin, then cut the white meat off, leaving the red meat attached to the skin. This eleminates skinning and trimming the red off. By far the EASIEST way I have EVER seen!!!!!

gator
May 12th, 2007, 07:44 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/okgator/HPIM0562.jpg

troutmadness
May 13th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Nice looking flathead. What hooks do you use? I've been using big thick circle hooks but was just wondering if there is a better way.

gator
May 13th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Nice looking flathead. What hooks do you use? I've been using big thick circle hooks but was just wondering if there is a better way.

THANKS! The guys I learned how to build my limb lines from SWEAR by circle hooks. We are using 14/0 to 16/0 circle hooks, mine are Eagle Claw King Kat 16/0 with a nickle finish. Think Shannon is using basically the same thing, along with some Diachii hooks

doctariAFC
May 18th, 2007, 02:56 PM
All we gots around here are channel cats, predominantly ( very few blues, but I hear they are in Lake Erie). Love fishing for them. Start to work for the cats June 1, and will be hitting my honey hole just about every night through end of June.

tackscall
May 18th, 2007, 02:59 PM
All we gots around here are channel cats, predominantly ( very few blues, but I hear they are in Lake Erie). Love fishing for them. Start to work for the cats June 1, and will be hitting my honey hole just about every night through end of June.

Shrimps on me

mdewitt71
May 18th, 2007, 03:03 PM
My duaghter caught her first catfish in 05 and has been my loyal fishing partner since then..........she is known to outfish her dad quite often.:wink:

doctariAFC
May 18th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Shrimps on me

You ready or what? June 1 is a Friday.... That means a potential all nighter.... I'll get the beer and the glow sticks, your bring the shrimp, and we'll hammer the 20's and 30's.....

josh2
May 18th, 2007, 07:32 PM
gonna go out tomorrow for them, will post pics if i get any

Josh

tackscall
May 18th, 2007, 09:10 PM
You ready or what? June 1 is a Friday.... That means a potential all nighter.... I'll get the beer and the glow sticks, your bring the shrimp, and we'll hammer the 20's and 30's.....

Sounds like a steal for me, I'll trick my mom into keeping the twins that night. Jason wants to go too

doctariAFC
May 22nd, 2007, 03:02 PM
Sounds like a steal for me, I'll trick my mom into keeping the twins that night. Jason wants to go too

You're both in! I am currently working on getting a serious crew together for the cat-festivities... The more lines in the water, the more likely we are at getting a 30lb pig to shore :D

Hit the creek by 6-6:30, fish till whenever. Rain or shine.

88 PS190
May 22nd, 2007, 03:39 PM
jugs...

doctariAFC
May 23rd, 2007, 03:56 PM
Ok, weather forecast at this point (and I don't believe anything this far out, but...) is calling for some showers on Friday. No details on potential winds.

HOWEVER, what is interesting to see is rain is forecast for the few days leading up to June 1, which should make for a nice, muddy creek, and very active cats....

Looking like a good cat-fest indeed!

archerycharlie
May 23rd, 2007, 04:19 PM
I live on a 400acre lake here. We are getting a few cats on jigs while fishing for crappie and blue gills. Have cot a couple of cats on dough balls also. When we go for cats we go in the earley am till about 9or 10am. We use an electric knife on all our fish cleaning here. Clean catfish the same way. :wink: AC

doctariAFC
June 1st, 2007, 01:47 PM
Game on tonight for Catfest 2007. Getting reports that fish are in....

Will be arriving at the parking lot @ 6:30PM.

Bring rain gear, as it may rain....

It should be pretty comfortable out there, so we may go well into the wee hours:D

FISH ON!

tackscall
June 1st, 2007, 02:38 PM
The streams are pretty skinny right now, we need a downpour. BTW I saw a brown trout in the East Koy last weekend that frightened me

kennie
June 1st, 2007, 03:54 PM
i'll be trying it all weekend starting tonite.. i hope the bit is on!!!!!!!!!!!i know i'll chatch something:darkbeer:

doctariAFC
June 1st, 2007, 06:00 PM
The streams are pretty skinny right now, we need a downpour. BTW I saw a brown trout in the East Koy last weekend that frightened me

Nice! Yeah the streams are a bit low, but we're not hitting the stream, per se. The fish are staging at the mouth, and we're hitting the beach - east side. You comin?

nealinMO
June 1st, 2007, 11:26 PM
My brother in laws and I ran trot lines in Long Branch Lake west of Macon, MO all weekend and ended up with 23 channel cats 4-7 pounds.. Nothing big but good fryin size.. Mothers day weekend there were several flatheads pulled out of long branch in the 50-70 pound range..

We were using leeches, crawdads, goldfish, perch and shad and they never hit anything but the leeches and crawdads..

Wondering if the big cats on nest?

doctariAFC
June 4th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Catfish report for 6/1/07....

Only managed one channel catfish, which was on the small size, about 5lb. Fish are just starting to enter the mouth and slowly heading into the lower stretches of the creek.

On a positive note, Saturday evening we changed gears and hit Lake Erie for some night trolling.... The walleye are biting! We spent a few hours working the shallows off Woodlawn beach, trolling shallow-running stickbaits over 15-18 foot depths. The bite started up just after dark, @ 10:00 PM, and we fished until midnight. I boated 4 sweet eaters, while my buddy TK landed 1. All in the 2 1/2 - 3 lb range. TASTY!!!

Hope to hit the cats again Wednesday evening. The rains should get them movin!

smallgamehunter
October 15th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Anyone been doing any catfishing in there spare time. I have been nailing the heck out of the crappies here in Central Illinois ive gotte 1-16incher and a couple 15 inchers the bass are biting well but I cant seem to snag a catfish if my life depended on it. This really isnt bowhunting but I dont care. Just wanted to see if anyone else is having any luck and if so what they are catching!!:wink:

where are u at in central illinois exactly im in jersey county i might be able to help u find some catfish

BuckmyBass
November 5th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I have been catfishing for some time, Gator I'm sorry but that is no 80 lb flathead, and you would not be holding the fish like that. They have stomach
lining's that will tear when held like that, very hard on the fish. Anyway I went about 40 times this year and this is just 1 of the many. I do alot of paylake fishing but I also fish lakes and rivers to. I just like to fish and win $$ doing it. lol
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff101/bignastey23/fish002.jpg

mathews93
March 31st, 2008, 10:49 PM
i catch them but nothing like the pics im sein tho!! i catch the 3-4 lbers

sneak1413
March 31st, 2008, 10:53 PM
I have been catfishing for some time, Gator I'm sorry but that is no 80 lb flathead, and you would not be holding the fish like that. They have stomach
lining's that will tear when held like that, very hard on the fish. Anyway I went about 40 times this year and this is just 1 of the many. I do alot of paylake fishing but I also fish lakes and rivers to. I just like to fish and win $$ doing it. lol
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff101/bignastey23/fish002.jpg

You have to realize that man is twice your size if not more and he is not hanging onto that fish but has the fish hanging. i wouldn't doubt one second that that isn't an 80 pound fish.

gwessels
April 1st, 2008, 09:19 PM
Agreed^^

I won't be able to do some cat fishing for a while (still waiting for the snow to melt) but I plan on hitting up the ol' Mississippi once spring really kicks in. I'm mostly a bass fisher but what are you guys using for these cats? Especially those of you that fish on the Mississippi..