PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Pike Lure

hoyt08
May 13th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I am just wondering what everyones favorite pike lure is! I am thinking for around the spring spawning season. I would have to say that mine would be a Daredevil spoon or a buzzbait. What is everyone elses? Thanks, Ben

XP35
May 14th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Big bucktail inline spinners, Daredevils, and large Rapalas.

predator86
May 14th, 2007, 03:39 AM
daredevil spoon and spinnerbaits work the best for me....

predator86
May 14th, 2007, 03:39 AM
hey xp i just noticed your avatar......and i am now traumatized.....:pukey:

ATB
May 14th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Spinnerbait, Buzzbait or Smithwick Devils Horse.

hoyt bowhunting
May 14th, 2007, 09:53 AM
BIG bucktail spinners. I use the same thing for northerns as i do for muskys. I dont like catching small fish.
matt

spangler
May 14th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I like to take a little sunfish or bluegill, put him on a steel leader harness and drop-shot it so it can swim up a little, but gets tired after 10 feet or so and sinks back down. I drop this into deep water and then use a big spoon to cast with while I am waiting for the pike to hit.

That little sunfish works great.

-Andrew

johnnyv917
July 22nd, 2009, 08:46 AM
heddon torpedo top water bait anyone has ever seen pike hit top water knows what im talking about

gun870guy
July 22nd, 2009, 08:52 AM
Cleos.... trolling Cleos won me more Pike tournaments back in the day on both the St. Lawrence and Lake Ontario than any other lure in the arsenal...
I used to come back with silver cleos cause the pike would knock all the paint off of them.

ratliffc
July 22nd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Number #4 Mepps bucktail most of the time, but my friends swear the white is better. I caught many on both of them.

oakridgehunter
July 22nd, 2009, 06:39 PM
red and white daredevile, orange and silver cleo, or a golden shiner or sucker under a bobber--they have all produced.:star:

Horses&Hunting
July 25th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I use the red and white strike king spinners. Never have to change lures when fishing for pike. Have had pike swallow the whole thing, including the trailer hook. The best part is when the lure gets up by the boat and your about to take it out of the water and they hit it. Awesome fighting there.

CHAMPION2
July 25th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Mepps bucktails work great, as well as most simialr bucktails. Dardevil or spoons red/white or green with blak spots have been killer for pike in the lakes, and streams in our area too. Large sucker minnow, chubs, or smelt also work good with a bobber if you want to fish them that way.

FL-HNT-N-FSH
July 25th, 2009, 07:48 PM
daredevil for sure

saskredneck
July 26th, 2009, 12:35 PM
grab yourself a big red/white plug and float it over the lilly pads, and when a big ol jack grabs it hold on.
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/terence_pinder/100_3016.jpg
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/terence_pinder/100_1528.jpg

hoytmonger
July 31st, 2009, 01:55 PM
Lazy Ike.

Zakrz11
July 31st, 2009, 05:14 PM
I have had the best luck on a little plug that my Dad pulled off of a stump. I replaced the trebles and the pike just can't get enough of it. I have looked for another, but so far have only found a single used one at a tackle show. The guy selling it didn't know what it was either. I also got a nice musky with it a few years back.

coweye
July 31st, 2009, 05:21 PM
Baby ducks, Kittens

coweye
August 1st, 2009, 07:49 AM
I think I killed the thread, I was just kidding:D

John 2290
August 1st, 2009, 09:03 AM
Baby ducks, Kittens

Saw a pike or muskie, don't know for sure, take a baby duck off the top of the water in Ontario once. My favorite pike lure is a Williams Wobbler.:teeth:

gbear
August 1st, 2009, 07:35 PM
Big 3 or 4 blade buzz bait

#3 choice-and thing top water

MN Bow Shooter
August 7th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I am a big bass fisherman, but I catch a lot of pike in the process. One of my best baits for pike is a swimming jig. A 1/4 oz. one in any shad looking color with a white or chartreuse grub works well. I've tried a lot of jigs, but have really settled on an RC Tackle one.

thunder
August 22nd, 2009, 09:13 PM
3/4 oz five of diamonds daredevil- 42" pike two weeks ago in ontario

DiamondSniper09
August 25th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Ive done best on Booyah spinners in either yellow or white colors, and Mepps #5 spinners are good in firetiger, yellow, and white.

TimberlandTaxi
August 29th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Johnson silver minnows in reeds, Little cleo in cabbage. (Both with trailers)

hjort jagare
September 20th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Not really a pike fisherman but I caught my biggest one last night bass fishing. I was using my wife's ultralight with 6lb test and a 4inch wacky rigged Senko.:confused: It was 37 inches maybe 14lbs I didn't weigh it. I don't know how the heck I landed it.:mg: This fishing is like deer hunting the more you think you know the more they surprise you.:darkbeer:

flntknp17
September 20th, 2009, 11:02 PM
3/4 oz Johnson Silver Minnow with a long thin pork rind trailer.

sawtoothscream
September 20th, 2009, 11:09 PM
i had them hit jitter bugs pretty good.

hjort jagare
September 20th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Figured I would post a picture of this silly pike that ate the 4inch wacky worm last night.:confused:

moecarama
September 20th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Lazy Ike.

and old jointed rapala pike minnow (Lazy Ike org/ blk spots)

killemall1983
December 20th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Rapala XR10s are my favorite. Huskys are ok too. Ive never lake fished for pike, So I dont know what i would use there.

Hoyt1021
January 3rd, 2010, 05:48 PM
1/2 oz. Booyah Spinnerbait, white skirt Brass/Silver Blades

muskywhisprr
January 4th, 2010, 01:34 PM
regular bull dawg black/orange tail. Only problem is after you catch a few the bait is destroyed.

fishcatcher
January 5th, 2010, 11:40 PM
musky mayhem showgirl and spinnerbait for me. follow by some phantom glider bait. but then again i'm after bigger one like their cousin the muskies.

Bill

J-Daddy
January 5th, 2010, 11:52 PM
What do Pike hit in the summer time?? I've never caught one, never even seen a live one outside of an aquarium but we're going on a canadian fishing trip the 2nd week of June and I gotta stock up on some baits...Lake fishing for the most part it looks like. Lake has alot of walleye "dont know crap about catching them either really", pike, musky & smallmouth "only fish I know how to catch, lol"....So any advice for some summer time canadian baits for Pike, Walleye & Musky would be cool.:thumbs_up

fishcatcher
January 6th, 2010, 12:04 AM
What do Pike hit in the summer time?? I've never caught one, never even seen a live one outside of an aquarium but we're going on a canadian fishing trip the 2nd week of June and I gotta stock up on some baits...Lake fishing for the most part it looks like. Lake has alot of walleye "dont know crap about catching them either really", pike, musky & smallmouth "only fish I know how to catch, lol"....So any advice for some summer time canadian baits for Pike, Walleye & Musky would be cool.:thumbs_up

bring lots of muskies bucktail and spinnerbait. some jerk bait, glider for sure. oh let's not forget topwater bait. i like the stillwater and pace maker. ooops some soft plastic too.

Bill

J-Daddy
January 6th, 2010, 09:21 AM
bring lots of muskies bucktail and spinnerbait. some jerk bait, glider for sure. oh let's not forget topwater bait. i like the stillwater and pace maker. ooops some soft plastic too.

Bill

I'm a bass fisherman, that's about it as far as what I fish for...So how bad do the pike tear up rubber skirts on spinner baits and soft plastics like Zoom Flukes and stuff like that? Do they pretty much destroy them on the first fish??
Give me some ideas on plastics for pike & musky, I always enjoyed fishing plastics & topwater baits more than crankbaits.
And one last thing..I've never fished this far North before, what are small mouth hitting on in mid-June in Canada??? I grew up catching them in rivers in KY and down there we'd be burning them up in June on top water baits like Zara Spook Pups and stuff.

Tmaziarz
January 6th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I like catching them on chubs but for casting i like the clown color Rapala.

It has a Red head and a chartrues body with a white belly. BASS seem to like them as well.

fishcatcher
January 6th, 2010, 12:15 PM
I'm a bass fisherman, that's about it as far as what I fish for...So how bad do the pike tear up rubber skirts on spinner baits and soft plastics like Zoom Flukes and stuff like that? Do they pretty much destroy them on the first fish??
Give me some ideas on plastics for pike & musky, I always enjoyed fishing plastics & topwater baits more than crankbaits.
And one last thing..I've never fished this far North before, what are small mouth hitting on in mid-June in Canada??? I grew up catching them in rivers in KY and down there we'd be burning them up in June on top water baits like Zara Spook Pups and stuff.

you can get away with the skirt on the bucktail and spinnerbait. the zoom fluke is gonna get rip fast. those teeth are sharp. not sure about the smallie. i chase muskie or shooting 3D at that time of year.

thunder
January 10th, 2010, 09:47 PM
J-DADDY, what part of canada are you going? Makes big difference what to take. I have been to ontario 17 times over the last 15 years. Big lakes, fly-in outposts(my favorite), drive to with lodges, and boat ins. PM me if you want. happy to help. Until about my fifth trip i took way to much stuff. I swear one guy brought over 100# of just fishing gear on a fly-in. by his third trip he had it down to under 40#. Weight is an issue on fly-ins.

BoCoMo
January 10th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Walleye!

J-Daddy
January 10th, 2010, 10:27 PM
J-DADDY, what part of canada are you going? Makes big difference what to take. I have been to ontario 17 times over the last 15 years. Big lakes, fly-in outposts(my favorite), drive to with lodges, and boat ins. PM me if you want. happy to help. Until about my fifth trip i took way to much stuff. I swear one guy brought over 100# of just fishing gear on a fly-in. by his third trip he had it down to under 40#. Weight is an issue on fly-ins.

We're just driving up there to a lake and renting cabins there on the lake. I cant remember the exact location but I think it's N.W. of Ontario, not sure by how much really. Going like the 2nd week of June.

thunder
January 13th, 2010, 07:47 PM
nw of ontario is manitoba? big area

bowhunter55945
January 25th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Spinnerbaits are the way to go!!!

NoSights
January 30th, 2010, 06:19 AM
1) Field mice work good.
2) Baby squirrels.
3) Pet store feeder gold fish, ten or twelve for a buck.
4) Baby chicks. (Pike up here grab a momma Loon and pull her under to knock the baby Loons off her back, then snack on the babies)
5) Just about any crank bait/lure you can think of will work if it stirs up their imagination enough. Pike are generally greedy and stupid.
6) ANY kind of baby fish/smolt. They will stuff them in their gullet even to the point of gagging on them.

J-Daddy
January 31st, 2010, 03:14 PM
We're just driving up there to a lake and renting cabins there on the lake. I cant remember the exact location but I think it's N.W. of Ontario, not sure by how much really. Going like the 2nd week of June.

I was wrong, I went back and looked again...We'll be staying on Lake Wabigoon by Dryden. We're staying at Indian Point Camp there on the Wabigoon....Know anything about this area?????

DocMort
January 31st, 2010, 04:47 PM
I used to use a bright colored spinner bait

DTales
February 23rd, 2010, 03:36 PM
#1 - large jointed rapala with gold coloring.
#2 - spinnerbait white/chartreuse/red skirt.

LiteSpeed1
February 23rd, 2010, 03:55 PM
Big old sucker minnow about 8"-10" long, sliding bobber, Bud Light.

My2Sons
February 25th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Cheap spoons from Fleet Farm, Chippewa, I think, in green w/black dots. Any deep runner should do OK. Stay with stick baits. There don't have bluegills and other round fish up there. Everything is long and thin or shad-like. Also, try "glass minnow" Rapalas.They imitate smelt pretty well. Jigs work for everything. Use good leaders or bring lots of baits.

nochunter
February 25th, 2010, 12:51 PM
My all time fav for those canadian pike was made buy Heddon and it was called a Flatfish #m2. this came in gold,silver.perch scale and i think frog an maybe a few more but the gold and silver ones always put the toothy critters in the boat for me. The + with them was the Walleye's loved em too :wink:

plisken
March 5th, 2010, 08:50 PM
top Raiders or deep raiders work well up north in the fall, running deep raiders (any green) at 3.5mph, deadly top raiders at night in the dark, big pike and big bass.

plisken
March 5th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Dead Smelt under a bobber in the spring.

cranker2
March 8th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Rat-l-traps, crawdad colors, silver, gold
#5 Mepps gold blade, natural colored skirt
Len Thompson #2 spoons

crdande
March 11th, 2010, 10:04 AM
heddon torpedo top water bait anyone has ever seen pike hit top water knows what im talking about

I know what you mean I'm a huge fan of topwater baits, I stick with buzzbaits, size and color dependant on clarity of the water

J-Daddy
March 11th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I know what you mean I'm a huge fan of topwater baits, I stick with buzzbaits, size and color dependant on clarity of the water

I plan on throwing some big topwater baits at them in Canada this summer...Some Zara Spooks and stuff like that. I love fishing topwater baits, nothing more fun that watching a big fish just explode on a topwater bait.