PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing start out rod and reel

ASeriousHunter
May 23rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
I have fished for about 35 years for just about every kind of freshwater fish that swims, but never fly fished. What would be a reasonably priced rod and reel and basic equipment to start out with that would work for stream fishing for trout in SW MO? Just want to try it. I have caught 100's of trout on artificials (jigs, worms, spinners, rapalas). What size fly line/color, kind of tippet to use, etc? Should I stay away from combo kits?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

archerycharlie
May 23rd, 2007, 03:51 PM
I got started several years ago with a basic wall-mart special combo. Cheepest thing they had. The top section got broke and my brother picked me up another rod at a yard sale. I am not good by a long means but i have fun with the blue gill and a few bass tossed in. I fished in a stocking stream in Mo.and cain't remember the name and did well with a popper like i used back home for trout and got some nice ones. I started out with the auto cranking real but changed to the old style hand cranking real. When you start out don't put a hook on it and get out in the yard and practice for a while then go and try for some blue gills with dry flys and poppers. I just take about 3 feet of mono line and tie it on the end of fly line and go fish. O and Make sure you have planty of room for your back stroke or you be hooked in the trees. I was just out back on lake bank and got a few gills this afternoon. You don't have to have a lot of line out to catch fish either. Start out with about a rod and a half of line and just keep adding a little more every so often. You will soon learn how much line you can handle. Its gets easier as you go. Its kinda hard in the wind also. Good luck and have fun with it. AC

mangler
May 24th, 2007, 12:19 AM
I got started with a cheap combo kit as well. When it cam to tippets and flys I whent to the local fly shop and talked to them. They were great about setting me up with some stuff that was fairly in-expensive and gave me pointers on flys to use on the local water. I happened to like fly fishing so much it involved into a rather spendy hobby over time, but I do enjoy it.

Tight lines, Lee

jagerace
May 24th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Bass Pro has a great starter rig. White River Brand, 5-7 weight, nice reel, disc drag system. I got one for my wife and it fishes as good as my high dollar set. Retails for about $60.

Josh

No.1 Hoyt
May 24th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I started on a dirt cheap one from walmart it was $20. After a while i switched reels and got a hobs creek reel. works fine for bluegill and bass. a 5 or 6 is just about standard weight. I have a split bamboo rod but its about 40-50 yrs old and i dont know if i can use it.

Soilarch
May 24th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Started out with a el'cheapo walmart combo. Loved it. Then I went to a store that carried Orvis stuff. Most of their stuff is well beyond a "beginners" price range but they have one series of rods that aren't American made. They took it overseas to hit a certain price mark. I bought one of those rods and a basic Orvis real in a combo package that came with line and backing I believe. After one time out (actually during the test-cast the shop allowed me to do behind their building) I knew immediately that there was absolutely no comparison. I believe the combo was just over $100 and it is well, very well, worth the extra money compared to the $30 walmart combo.

Cabelas and Bass Pro have several basic "starters" packages like that and at the price mark. That's what I suggest you find. Cheap? No. Well, at least not for a college kid. But you can very easily spend a $1k or $2K on a rod and reel alone in the fly-fishing world.

You'll love it...especially if you buck the trend and use it for bluegill/sunfish/crappie!!! WHAT A BLAST!!!

ASeriousHunter
May 25th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will go to Basspro in OKC to try to find about $100 combo to start. Makes me want to be up there trout fishing.

rcmjr
May 25th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will go to Basspro in OKC to try to find about $100 combo to start. Makes me want to be up there trout fishing.

you're on the right track, a 5wt is fairly universal........don't underestimate bluegill on tiny popping bugs.....what a gas!

wickedbullmouse
May 25th, 2007, 04:35 PM
I started out with the Hobbs Creek 8wt outfit from Bass Pro for bass bugging, it was about $90.00. Then I got hooked, so to speak, and got a Dogwood Canyon 5wt outfit (also from Bass Pro) for trout ($81.00) and love it. Cabela's also has a good combo on sale right now for $75.00. My best trout fly is a #6 black wooly worm with a red tail, retrieved modertae to fast (kind of like a fast jig retrieve, but keep the rod still and tug the line in). A friend of mine swears by the Parachute Adams (with a kernel of corn on it).