PDA

View Full Version : Smallmouth from MI

rodney482
June 1st, 2007, 11:51 AM
Just got back home from Michigan, we did really well on some nice smalleys. several over 18" with the biggest being 20.5

MI Hoytforlife
June 2nd, 2007, 10:45 AM
Very nice !!

I'm after a nice Michigan Smallie myself.

tring to get one for the wall

Hornsgalore
June 2nd, 2007, 11:33 AM
Oh man , Great fish, I wish I was there.

t4daddy
June 2nd, 2007, 12:00 PM
Those are some nice fish. Check out my buddies catch from a few weeks ago, tipped the scales at 8lbs 4oz. Pickwick lake, they don't call it "The Smallmouth Capital of the World" for nothing. Sorry for the crappy cellphone pic.

rodney482
June 2nd, 2007, 12:43 PM
Those are some nice fish. Check out my buddies catch from a few weeks ago, tipped the scales at 8lbs 4oz. Pickwick lake, they don't call it "The Smallmouth Capital of the World" for nothing. Sorry for the crappy cellphone pic.

That is a toad

Hornsgalore
June 2nd, 2007, 12:54 PM

I fish Pickwick Every April, Yes , they do have some great smallies. We also go for the 20+ lbs Stripers below the dam and Had pretty good success this year.

t4daddy
June 2nd, 2007, 01:53 PM
I live about three or four miles from Wilson dam. I get to fish Pickwick pretty regular, posed to go up on Wilson tonight with a another buddy to chase some largemouth.

Phoenix34
June 3rd, 2007, 12:17 PM

That's a smallie? Doesn't even look right with that rounded nose, long dorsal fin and no tail fork, looks like some weird hybrid. Still a huge fish, congrats.

rodney482
June 3rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
That's a smallie? Doesn't even look right with that rounded nose, long dorsal fin and no tail fork, looks like some weird hybrid. Still a huge fish, congrats.

looks kinda like a carp to me.....but still a nice fish

Phoenix34
June 3rd, 2007, 09:16 PM

I was thinking it looked like a drum

t4daddy
June 4th, 2007, 09:43 PM

I will assure you it's a smallmouth, though the head does look a little funny. I think it's cause he is holding it by the gill and and not the lower lip, as most fish are photographed. I will update with better pictures when it's back from being mounted.

rut n strut
June 8th, 2007, 09:10 PM
That is a Sheaphead or Drum.

Paul S.
June 10th, 2007, 01:03 AM
I will assure you it's a smallmouth, though the head does look a little funny. I think it's cause he is holding it by the gill and and not the lower lip, as most fish are photographed. I will update with better pictures when it's back from being mounted.

Thats a sheephead!:rolleyes:

Phoenix34
June 11th, 2007, 04:57 PM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that definitely is not a smallmouth. Rounded nose, lower lip is behind upper, long straight dorsal almost all the way to tail, straight tail edge...too many obvious differences. Still a toad, just not a bass.

rodney482
June 12th, 2007, 05:49 PM
bronzeback

Jeff K in IL
June 13th, 2007, 07:54 PM

Thats not a Bass bud. Rounded nose, fins, and scales do not match....:wink:

rodney482
May 22nd, 2009, 09:40 PM
I am heading back up there Tuesday:)

bowhunter2007
May 23rd, 2009, 01:51 AM
Those are some nice fish Rodney, do you ever make it down to the Eel river in Logansport? A buddy and I went flyfishing last night and caught about 30 smallies, the biggest was 18 inches. You should head down there sometime, there is some very good fishing in the Eel.

rodney482
May 23rd, 2009, 07:22 AM
Those are some nice fish Rodney, do you ever make it down to the Eel river in Logansport? A buddy and I went flyfishing last night and caught about 30 smallies, the biggest was 18 inches. You should head down there sometime, there is some very good fishing in the Eel.

I never have, but that sounds like a blast...I am not much of a fly fisherman but I have a good friend who lives for it.

Might have to give it a shot.

TY:)

Termie
May 23rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Michigan has a couple of the best smallmouth fisheries in the world. Saginaw bay, Lake St Clair, and Lake erie Produce a lot of smallies. There is also a lot of inland lakes that put out big small mouth. Ive caught a lot 6 pounders over the years.

eyebrowcounter
May 25th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I've done real well on the Salmon river with smallies in summer, had a triple digit day once! Along with a surprise summer run steelhead what a surprise that was!

terry72
May 27th, 2009, 05:25 PM
nice fish and that pike would look great in my fry pan.:set1_pot:

GiveUmTheShaft
May 30th, 2009, 11:58 AM
sorry man thats not a smallmouth, its a drum

Airhead
June 7th, 2009, 03:24 PM

Ummm, no.

bronzeback

Looks like Bellaire or Intermediate? Close?

We fish Lake St. Clair, get a 6+lb or 2 every year. a 5+lb on an inland lake is a real trophy. Good luck on your next trip!

rodney482
June 7th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Ummm, no.

Looks like Bellaire or Intermediate? Close?

We fish Lake St. Clair, get a 6+lb or 2 every year. a 5+lb on an inland lake is a real trophy. Good luck on your next trip!

I was fishing a small lake called Lake Ann, its west of Traverse

ratliffc
June 8th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Yeah that doesnt even look like a small mouth, color, fins head...... No boubt a freshwater drum/sheaphead depending where you live and what they call them there.

Here is another picture of one. It might not look the same as your pic, but they are the same.This one is from a bass fishing trip on the ozarks. They fight hard non the less.

jrice29
June 25th, 2009, 06:42 PM
great catches! man, i wish ohio had better smally spots

SLASTER77
June 29th, 2009, 02:41 PM
great hunting and fishing in our state , unlike the economy ha too bad

bj99robinson
June 29th, 2009, 04:17 PM
great catches! man, i wish ohio had better smally spots

Ever heard of lake Erie???

Hoyt_em
June 29th, 2009, 04:57 PM
thats a drum...make a phone call before yer buddy pays 20 bucks and inch to mount that.

RhinoJames
June 29th, 2009, 05:11 PM
If the taxidermist takes your friend's money and lets him think that's indeed a smallmouth, I'd be finding a taxidermist with some values.

I just don't see how you could possibly confuse that for a smallie.:confused:

tester84
June 29th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Here's a couple smallies i caught in 2007! The first one was in Minnesota and the rest were on lake st.clair. Gonna be going back up to st.clair this fall. That was a blast. Caught a ton of smallmouth. Lots of 3-4 pounders. One of them was 5 pounds. Love how hard they fight.

rodney482
June 29th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Here's a couple smallies i caught in 2007! The first one was in Minnesota and the rest were on lake st.clair. Gonna be going back up to st.clair this fall. That was a blast. Caught a ton of smallmouth. Lots of 3-4 pounders. One of them was 5 pounds. Love how hard they fight.

great smallies