PDA

View Full Version : The 'Eyes Have It!

doctariAFC
June 4th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Well, Eastern Basin of Lake Erie is really starting to heat up for walleye action. Got these nice eaters Saturday night trolling stickbaits in 18 FOW....

The big 'uns will be rolling hard into the shallows very soon, then its open water exploration as the temps start to spike!

Best eating fish in the Lake, as far as I'm concerned!

josh2
June 4th, 2007, 06:11 PM
very nice!

I'd like to get into lake erie fishing(as I'm only 44 miles away from it) but I dont have a boat big enough to fish it right.

Nice walleyes!

Josh

slamjammer1
June 4th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Hey Josh, try castin out a pickeral rig off of a point if you dont have a boat. The walley's are lookin for warmer shallower water right now. I have a boat but I usually leave it for the summer season. Much better off a good point with a pickeral rig. Dont hold your rod either. Instead put it with the tip straight up with tension on between a couple of rocks or a in a rod holder. This is what happens if things go really well for you. Double header baby!!!Oh, and a 12" perch ( they taste better than walleyes but not by much).

T-LaBee
June 4th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Well, Eastern Basin of Lake Erie is really starting to heat up for walleye action. Got these nice eaters Saturday night trolling stickbaits in 18 FOW....

The big 'uns will be rolling hard into the shallows very soon, then its open water exploration as the temps start to spike!

Best eating fish in the Lake, as far as I'm concerned!

Nice!

By the way...I think they are the best tasting in any lake, stream, river, ocean...you get the idea. Fresh caught Walleye are hard to beat!
Tom

doctariAFC
June 5th, 2007, 09:10 AM
very nice!

I'd like to get into lake erie fishing(as I'm only 44 miles away from it) but I dont have a boat big enough to fish it right.

Nice walleyes!

Josh
Nor do I. I have a bass boat and trolling and bass boats don't mix much. A friend of mine, who is now going to be called captain Ahab for his ineptitude (he learned a lot Saturday night) and is inopportune moments to dig for a beer. Seemed like he would run dry just when we had boats to either side of us, 30'-40' away on either side. He'd turn around, open the cooler, the wheel would spin and we'd be bee-lining for one of the other boats.

By the end of the evening, he was getting the hang of it. Kept having to tell him to stay well away from the back of the other boats. GUess he couldn't grasp the fact that everyone else out there had at least 100 feet of line running behind them.

He runs a 16 foot Lund with 40 HP on the back. Plenty of boat for the right conditions (2' waves or less). Saturday night the lake was a pane of glass.

I can't wait to get him out there again, only a little later in the season to teach him how to run controlled depth rigs (dipseys, lead core and jet divers). That should be real interesting. Oh yeah, he will be required to put a $200.00 deposit for use of my gear. If Ahab is back at the helm, I figure I'll probably lose $200.00 worth of dipseys, harnesses and stick baits!

Saturday night, the surface temps in the area we were fishing was 72.1 D F. PERFECT. Set a 2MPH troll with the sticks back between 100 and 125 feet. Black/ orange and firetiger patterns, shallow runners. Black/ orange was a Challenger-8, Firetiger was an F13 rapala. Had a nice Challenger-8 in watermelon, but Ahab, when he took his only turn on the rods, broke the darned thing off on a sheepshead, so we basically told him to stick to driving. Ahab's other nickname is Horseshack for his fish fighting techniques :D

Walleye Joe
June 5th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Nice 'eyes ya got there Doc! .....the fish that is!:)

...and SlamJammer1, that's a super nice Yellow Perch :clap:

slamjammer1
June 6th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Walleye Joe is right Doc, those are nice. All close to 20" or over for sure.
25" for the big one on your right I bet. They say around 70 is just the right temp for them. I think we got a bunch of walleye junkies here on AT.

Paul S.
June 6th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Heres my limit from sunday morning on the western basin of Erie. 19-23", perfect eaters.:tongue:
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h149/Paul_Smith_2006/walleye6307009.jpg

predator86
June 6th, 2007, 04:46 AM
love walleye fishin but i cant eat them anymore,went up to canada and had walleye for breakfast,lunch,dinner for a week straight.....now i cant eat fish.....

doctariAFC
June 6th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Walleye Joe is right Doc, those are nice. All close to 20" or over for sure.
25" for the big one on your right I bet. They say around 70 is just the right temp for them. I think we got a bunch of walleye junkies here on AT.

Thanks... Once the deeper waters start to warm, we'll be working for them big 'uns... I hope this season can compare to last season! The walleye fishing last year was off the hook on Erie. And the future looks real good, according to the DEC. 2003 was an incredible hatch. Those fish are 2003 year class fish. I received a report from the Fisheries Manager that it appeasr the 2005 hatch was nearly as strong as 2003, which is unreal.... In another year those fish will be gettin' close to keeper size.

Here is a snap from a trip last June (end of the month) out of Dunkirk. Got all of these fish in about 4 hours of fishing, over @ 70 FOW, primarily on harnesses off the dipseys, but the big one in the middle, which weighed 10.5lb fell for a red & black Renosky trolled off the 10-color leadcore, set back right to the knot. That one is on my wall now.

No.1 Hoyt
June 6th, 2007, 10:29 PM
nice fish everyone. i dont know if there is walleye in alton, il. i live on the mississippi were the world record blue cat was caught

semobow
June 6th, 2007, 10:48 PM
nice fish everyone. i dont know if there is walleye in alton, il. i live on the mississippi were the world record blue cat was caught

Good walleye action below the locks and dams on the Mississippi in the winter.

predator86
June 7th, 2007, 07:11 AM
how big is the average walleye you land??

cameron
June 7th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Walleye in SE Michigan is awsome this year. Limits of 5 eater fish in one hour or less!!!!!

doctariAFC
June 7th, 2007, 03:58 PM
how big is the average walleye you land??

Depends on the waters. Lake Erie, I'd say the average walleye we get runs @ 5-6 lbs.

Inland waters they are considerably smaller, like 2lb - 2 1/2 lb, but that depends on the day and time of year. One of my favorite Lakes, Chautauqua Lake, has been having serious issues with their walleye numbers. So much so they took the minimum keeper size up to 18 inches, and reduced the daily creel limit from 5 to 3 per day. I have seen 4 keeper walleye caught from Chautauqua over the past two seasons. Of course, if the keeper size was still 15, I would have had limit catches within 1/2 hour during the hardwater season. But, they got to be 18. Maddening when you catch 10-15 'eyes that measure 17 1/2 in 30 minutes, and you cannot keep one of them.

Lake Erie, minimum size is 15 inch, and this year NY took the daily creel back to 5, up from 4 per day last year.

That Lake is pig heaven.....