PDA

View Full Version : someone teach me how to catch walleye

BOWGOD
June 8th, 2007, 03:00 AM
ok i'm no fisherman by any stretch i used to fish as a teen for somethiing to do but for the last 10 years my life has revolved around my bow with the exeption of a few nights spent drowning nightcrawlers looking for cats just because there was nothing else to do and someone i knew was going,
the strange thing is is that fresh fish is like my favorite food with walleye being at the top of the list just never could get interested in fishing, until now i just started hitting the river for something to do that don't cost a fortune, the spot i've been going there are alot of walleye but i don't know nothing about fishing other than drowning worms so could someone give me some tips on how to catch these delicouse little creatures. what live bait, what lures, how to rig each, and any other tricks of the trade. i will be fishing in the potomac river just to give an idea what kind of waters i'm fishing.
thanks
dave

88 PS190
June 8th, 2007, 03:53 AM
do you have any idea what the locals are up to?

there are so many walleye methods, sometimes fishing them in 6 feet of water, others down past 30 feet depending on the waters.

Not familiar with the potomac.

But one of my favorite methods is to troll weighted worm rigs, or another to cast these jig head spinner things from mepps/mr. twister would have to check on their name.

I also never put a ton of effort into walleye, more into smallies myself.

KOZMAN4907
June 8th, 2007, 09:06 AM
walleye can be a tough fish to pattern. I live on/fish the Delaware river and I have had luck fishing off the deepest part of the channel. I run med size crank baits just off the bottom. And and day break/dust I drift worm/minow rigs with floating heads just off the bottom works well for me but I am not a expert either.

I have got some rreally nice size walleyes fishing for smallmouth bass drifting and hitting large pools and other structure.
Koz

Buksknr53
June 8th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Walleyes have been stocked in eastern rivers and lakes for many years. We easterners just don't know how to catch them so I've been reading. Most of the catches are accidental here. There's one place that I catch them in the spring. This shallow river is a Walleye hotspot only in early spring. Where they go after that, is anybody's guess. In the spring, they will hit any bass plug that is chartruse colored. That works for me, however, I am fishing for smallmouth bass when I catch them. Whenever I get a bite, I know it's either a walleye or a smallmouth. I really don't care which I pull in because they are both good eating. I've never caught a small walleye since they showed up in the river about 10 years ago. They are all around 3 or 4 lbs. A friend of mine caught a 6 pounder in another river while bass fishing a few years ago.

camotoe
June 8th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Walleyes hit minnows like crazy. If you don't have any live, try casting with a Mepp's minnow. (has a spinner blade on front). Water temp should dictate speed of retrieve. Colder=slower. Walleyes prefer shade. Night fishing or going on days when the sky is overcast is usually more productive. I've had good luck using a bait called a "Beetle spin". Someone mentioned chartruese. That's a sure favorite of walleyes. I've also had good luck using purple and white, but the chartruese generally outperforms them. If you're trolling (which is probably the most productive method for taking walleye) use a rig called an Erie Dearie. It is basically a nightcrawler harness with some beads and spinners on it. They generally like to hang on the edge of weedbeds especially if there is a dropoff nearby. They also prefer structure such as dead limbs and bolders. good luck. No better eating fish anywhere!

Woolyhorn
June 8th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Go to lake cumberland (southern kentucky), get you a box of thundersticks, and cast those dropping off rocky banks that can be found throughout the lake. Stripers and walleye, we've caught some good ones! Its best when the water was a little bit cooler, (april- early june)

MNmike
June 8th, 2007, 11:33 PM
ok i'm no fisherman by any stretch i used to fish as a teen for somethiing to do but for the last 10 years my life has revolved around my bow with the exeption of a few nights spent drowning nightcrawlers looking for cats just because there was nothing else to do and someone i knew was going,
the strange thing is is that fresh fish is like my favorite food with walleye being at the top of the list just never could get interested in fishing, until now i just started hitting the river for something to do that don't cost a fortune, the spot i've been going there are alot of walleye but i don't know nothing about fishing other than drowning worms so could someone give me some tips on how to catch these delicouse little creatures. what live bait, what lures, how to rig each, and any other tricks of the trade. i will be fishing in the potomac river just to give an idea what kind of waters i'm fishing.
thanks
dave

Off the banks, or in a motorboat?

I love trolling stick baits for walleyes myself.

Scented soft plastic jigs work well too.

I go to live bait rigs when the fish are real turned off.

Trolling rivers you can catch about anything.

If bank fishing you need to find a few good current breaks/stuctures. Usually with that also means snaags. If possible use a bobber rig with live bait. Lead head jig and minnow/leach. off the bottom. I've caught eyes just off the bottom on rivers, but I have also caught them just under the surface when they are feeding on minnows on the surface. So always pay attention to what the fish are doing and don't be afraid to change up often.

Paul S.
June 9th, 2007, 01:27 AM
River walleyes? Jigs would be my first choice, with a live bait rig(Lindy rig) second. Find holes in the river with you electronics and try a jig with a minnow or a bait rig with a minnow, crawler or leech. Thats just a starting point and the other guys have given some good baits to try also.:)

BOWGOD
June 9th, 2007, 06:14 PM
ok just some more info on the type of fishing i'm doing, i'm fishing off the bank the bottom is really rocky and i do get alot of snags.

thanks for all the info so far but please remember i know like nothing about fishing so alot of what i'm reading is like a forien language. if you could post pics or web links to illistrate some of these lures and rigs i'm reading about. the only think i know how to do is tie on a hook and bait it:confused:

XP35
June 10th, 2007, 11:51 PM
We fish them here in the Tioga River. When they are done with the spawn they get stuck at a dam's spillway and gates. It is also shallow and rocky....bazillions of snags. This, incidentally, is when I first started using FireLine!! LOL I have found them be extremely light sensitive and hard to catch in shallow water in daylight, any more than the occasional catch. But just before dark and throughout the night it can get pretty furious at times. I prefer, in this habitat anyway, shallow running lures like jointed Rapalas, Rebel Jerk Minnows and even some inline spinners, like Blue Fox Vibraxes and Mepp's Minnows. They have been the best producers for me. With baits, I have caught quite a few with nightcrawler on walleye rigs/harness (crawler hooks and a small spinner blade) and with minnows on bottom bouncers in the rocky, shallow water.

Good luck! Walleyes aren't the most spectacular fighters, but they hit like a runaway dump truck and taste OHH SOOO GOOD!

Paul S.
June 11th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Something else you can do is rig a float with a jig or plain hook below it to keep you out of the rocks. Bait with a crawler, leech or minnow and just let it tick the rocks, you'll be able to tell when you throw upstream and watch your bobber. If its going along and occasionally just hessitating, your doing it right. If your getting snagged, move you float down twards the bait until it its just ticking, as I described. Same as if your float is drifting, but not stopping every now and again, it means you arn't making any contact, move the float up the line until you are making a little contact. Good luck.:wink:

doctariAFC
June 11th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Some good advice here.

When fishing from shore, you'll need to do a couple things, as follows:

Presentation options are limited from shore. Best bets are as follows:

1 - Stick baits - shallow divers if you're shorebound. Good ones to choose include F11 and F13 Rapalas, Challenger shallow-diving Minnow (8' dive), Storm Hot-N-Tot, Thundersticks, etc. Long, slender minnow lures are what the walleye want, hence the term stickbait. Rat-L-Traps also work, too!

2 - Slip float presenting live bait, mike a minnow, leech or night crawler. Setting the right depth is key. Most often in a river the 'eyes will hold near bottom, but they could be cruising in the water column as well. Use as little weight as possible to impart the most natural looking drift. If using worms or leeches, be certain to hook the bait in the head and let it trail.

3 - Spinner rigs that can be worked cast and retrieve. Top walleye getters include the Lake Erie Dearie, dressed with a crawler, the Beetle-Spin, run with soft plastic grub jig (purple is a walleye killer!) or even a worm harness with an in-line weight set about 3 feet above the harness. Cast out and retrieve steady, but not too fast.

4 - Carolina/ Lindy rigging live bait. Crawlers are great for this, but leeches work also. If you're fishing in a rocky area, you may want to dress the rig with a crawler, and then inject some air into the body of the worm to float it off the bottom. Its tough to do that on a leech, but it can and does work on them, too. Cast and drage really slowly along the bottom. Use a weight that is just enough to get it to the bottom.

Time of Day

It is perhaps more critical that you time your outing right. Spring/ summer has walleye digging in deeper waters by day, moving near shore into shallows to feed by night. You may want to time your outing for a night fest. Keep an eye on water termperatures, too, as once the waters exceed 72 degrees F, the walleye will start seeking cooler temps.

But as a general rule, if I am working near shore or off shore, the night bite is most productive.

Good luck!

MNmike
June 16th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Alot of times the lake make-up will dictake what time of day and fishing methods to use.

An example is at my cabin. The lake is stained, or dark colored. The walleye bite is more of a day bite. I have fished after dark, but found it unproductive. But, you will always have a strong bite just prior to dark. I've gone out many times late (8am) in the morning and caught several.

Methods, you just need to change up to see what they want. Ask the locals can give you some insight.

Heck, I've caught a few nice fish casting spinner baits for bass before.

Not to mention my weirdest catch of a 4lb 'eye' on a black hulla popper when it was still very light out.

SilentElk
June 18th, 2007, 05:29 AM
time of day matters alot! For me, the only time I have caught them, is just as the sun is about to disappear under the horizon until you need a light to see. I have not hadl uck during the night or any other time, although I have not pursued them much. The best walleye fishing I ever had,and 1st walleye's I ever caught, was fishing with 6" to 7" suckers on a bobber set at 3.5' in 5' of water about 20 feets from shore. Caught a 28.5" and 2 at 25" in the span of 15 minutes. Then not a bump as the sun disappeared under the horizon. This was toward the end of october and I since read walleye's in the fall will often eat the biggest bait they can caught easily with minimal effort. a large sucker on a bobber fits the bill I guess.

Last friday I caught my first colorado walleye's. A 15",19" and 22" using a 3.5" long jerkbait and a similiar firetiger painted jointed suspending rapala. This was fishing a lake that has had low water levels the last few years and a bunch a new growth 2-3"diamter trees are sticking out of the water and now located in about 4' of water. We cast near then and along the cover. We end up with weeds often but thats the cover the fish want. Works well right at dusk and even during daylight.

predator86
June 18th, 2007, 06:45 AM
live leech on hook weighted down so it sits on the bottom, i catch everything from walleyes, sturgeon, carp, bass, sheepshead, red horse and even a few skipjacks.

Fireman131
June 19th, 2007, 12:59 AM
There are several different ways to catch walleye. use a crawler harness with a night crawler, or you can use a minnow on a lead head jig boucning it off the bottom, or you can use a #5 or #7 silver and black rapala countdown. or try erie derie. You can also use a marabou jig with a minnow and without a minnow. Find out what color they are hitting, I really like to use a chartruse color or a chartruse and white. Color also matters I'm a firm beleiver in that!! find out what color locals are catching them on. ASK!

saranac1973
July 28th, 2007, 01:19 AM
live leech on hook weighted down so it sits on the bottom, i catch everything from walleyes, sturgeon, carp, bass, sheepshead, red horse and even a few skipjacks.

Friend of mine crushes the walleyes on lake Ontario. All he use are leaches and Rappellas..But leaches being 1st choice.

Hutnicks
July 28th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Number 2 Mepps Aguila, all I ever used for Walleye.

camotoe
July 30th, 2007, 05:08 PM
(\(\
(='x')----<<<
(,(")(")

Hey predator 86...wanted to try to copy your little rabbit. Did you make that up yourself?

tcooll77
July 30th, 2007, 05:12 PM
walleyes are sobs..if you ask ive fished 3 or more times a week once there is ice up until sept.. and i have yet to catch a walleye in my local lake... ive tried everything not once have i even accidentally caught one

ive seen them at the outlet dam and have heard of people catching them but ive only seena few pictures

..any way i hear x raps are good silver and black the size8-10 are sold out at my bass pro

camotoe
July 30th, 2007, 05:18 PM
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ + + + + + + + + + + ++ + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ + + + + + + + + + + +
+ + + + + + + + + + + +

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + ++
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + ++

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +++

tcooll77
July 31st, 2007, 01:50 PM
my father caught the first one ever and my buddy did too up the lake.. does the moon have nething to do with these fish?