PDA

View Full Version : Any Muskie fishermen out there?

Cutt'em Jack
June 12th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I thought I'd share some pics of the last few muskies that I've caught over the last two weeks. First one is a 43 1/2 incher. The other two pics are of a 36-39 incher. I forgot the tape and it's an educated guess. A buddy of mine that fishes for muskies a lot, believes that muskie fishing is alot like bowhunting and I believe it. Hope you enjoy the pics.. I'm heading out in the morning and hopefully I'll have more pics after tomorrow. All fish were caught in Pa.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/junior257/Marksmuskie.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/junior257/6-06-07001.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/junior257/6-06-07002.jpg

doctariAFC
June 13th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Nice muskies! Love casting for them with Suicks, working them topwater. Absolutely explosive!

Our season for musky in NYS opens this Saturday. Hope to get some musky fishing in within the next month or so. Right now, the 'eyes have it.....

MNmike
June 16th, 2007, 09:22 AM
You bet!!!!!

Was out earlier this week.

Lost one lil' guy on top water. Just blew up and nosed the lure 3 feet threw the air.

Had 3 seen follows. 40 to 48 inchers.

Oh, and 1 northern about 7#.

Hope to get out Monday morning before I go up to the cabin.

I have a boat landing to Lake Minnetonka 2 blocks down the road from home. Tonka is a great fishing lake for all game fish. Also have 2 other super muskie lakes close by. All 3 lakes have fish over 50".

3D-GURU
June 17th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Gotta love those big toothy critters.

I will post pics as soon as I download them from my camera, but last weekend was a good one!! My buddy Mike's 69 year old dad boated his first musky with us on Friday, a 39". Then, my son gets his first the next day, a 45.5", and to top it all off half an hour later, Mike's son, on his 11th birthday, lands his first, a 49" monster. Great 2 days, we saw close to 20 muskies, mostly followers, but missed quite a few hits as well.

will post pics soon.

Rob

Cutt'em Jack
June 17th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Rob,
Let's see those pics! Here's another one from last wednesday. My dad's biggest so far. 39 incher. A buddy of mine wants to go to Georgian Bay next year for a week of muskie fishing. Know anything about the area?

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/junior257/06-12-07002.jpg

mtn. archer
June 19th, 2007, 06:14 PM
my first muskie just got into fishing for them.39" 18# in virginia

3D-GURU
June 20th, 2007, 09:47 PM
First ones are of my boy Billy's 45.5", and second is the birthday boy Mathew's 49" monster.

Rob

P.S. I know about Georgian bay, I lived right on it for the better part of 6 years.

Pabowhunter29
June 21st, 2007, 05:40 PM
what do you use? do you troll or cast?

3D-GURU
June 21st, 2007, 11:24 PM
what do you use? do you troll or cast?

I don't really like to troll for them if I can get away from it. I find it too boring. We cast to known hotspots and other good looking spots. The fish above were caught in a river feeding one of the Great Lakes, and is quite shallow. Alot of the time, we can actually see the fish we are casting to. As you can imagine, watching fish like these hit can be heart attack material!!

Most of our luck comes on big spinnerbaits and bucktails, but we have caught them on many different baits, including Burts, Suicks, Ernies, Grandmas, jigs, Rapala Super Shad Raps, giant Sluggos, and others I'm sure. Just remember, when fishing muskies, any colour will work, as long as it is black!!:wink::wink::wink:

Rob

Cutt'em Jack
June 22nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
I catch all my muskies by casting. The hot lure for me this year has been a slopmaster in black or black and green. The slopmaster is a musky sized spinnerbait. Another lure that has been working for me is the rapala super shad rap in gold or perch. I raise a lot of fish on the rapala, but it's getting used too much around here by other muskie fisherman and the fish are wising up to it. I WILL not troll, it's BORING to me!! Casting is the only way to fish for them in my opinion. Nothing will work you out more than throwing big lures for 8 hours!

cetorP
June 28th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Muskie- I am a smallie guy but happened onto this guy last year waiting for my partner to roll outa bed.

tcooll77
July 1st, 2007, 04:08 PM
can i get a booyah

doctariAFC
July 2nd, 2007, 04:03 PM
Ok, musky pics on. I'll toss one in, for now. 40 incher from Chautauqua Lake caught while walleye fishing. 6lb test, 1/2 Silver Buddy, no leader, 22FOW...

esoxhunter
July 10th, 2007, 01:45 PM
40 incher...Detroit River '07. Caught it casting a Hellhound
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/esoxhunter/P1000376e2.jpg

muskie_man
July 11th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Nice pics guys! Muskie fishin and deer huntin! Cant beat that combination!!

CHAMPION2
July 11th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Yep love fishing muskie. Next to bowhunting its my favorite other pastime. I have fished the Lake of the Woods in Minnesota, and Morson, Ontario, and other lakes in Ontario. I love throwing spinner baits, but like it all. Suicks, crank baits, trolling, you name it!!!

justanotherbuck
January 20th, 2008, 02:31 PM
here is a pis of my musky i caught on 9/9/07,it was the largest musky caught out of the chippewa flowage,wisconsin in 2007 51 inches 33 plus lbs

justanotherbuck
January 21st, 2008, 12:12 AM
here is a pic of my musky i caught on 9/9/07,it was the largest musky caught out of the chippewa flowage,wisconsin in 2007 51 inches 33 plus lbswas to date largest in the boat

Bowtech717
January 24th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Where exactly do you catch these muskie in PA? I live in South Central PA around Harrisburg and i've been looking for a good place to fish for muskie in the area. I know there are some in the Susquehanna, but if you know of anything better in my area i'd love to know. Thanks

Unassuming
January 24th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Where exactly do you catch these muskie in PA? I live in South Central PA around Harrisburg and i've been looking for a good place to fish for muskie in the area. I know there are some in the Susquehanna, but if you know of anything better in my area i'd love to know. Thanks

Sasqahanee river...that is a total misspell but the river has great muskie fishing...Check out muskies inc...chapter 50...they should be able to help you out...

ratliffc
January 24th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I wish there were muskies around me. I know of them in 2 places in my state, one is 40 miles from me and its full of 12 inch muskies they stocked I have seen 2 hogs in like 10 years there, didnt catch either of them cuz they hit the panfish I was reeling in. Fished for them 10000 times without a hit. Then the other is like 3 hours away 8(. I dont see many pike around anymore either because no one ever releases them.

drew2675
February 2nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Obviously new at this site and still tryin to figure out the posting picture thing, but if this worked, this one is from Georgian Bay area. We do real well up there and usally go twice a year. Jack, if your still goin and have questions fire away. The fish was 56 inches and had a 28 inch girth. Guessin around 55 pounds. I myself am 6 foot 7 so it might look deceiving. Catch and release.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=34 8390&stc=1&d=1201988224

smesk403
February 21st, 2008, 01:49 AM
here is a pis of my musky i caught on 9/9/07,it was the largest musky caught out of the chippewa flowage,wisconsin in 2007 51 inches 33 plus lbs

Don't be so sure of that buck. Just because u don't hear about doesn't mean the flowage didn't cough up a bigger one. Here is My 2007 fish outta the flowage.

J/K buck this fish isn't from the Chip. Awesome fish by the way. I've fished the Chip a couple times before with limited sucess. This is a vilas county pig from 2007. aside from the natives spearing, I've only heard of one fish bigger then this in the state in 2007.

Clout Master
February 21st, 2008, 02:35 AM
Are these fish eatable??
Very nice fish guys, would have to be a buzz to catch on light tackle.

smesk403
February 21st, 2008, 12:25 PM
Are these fish eatable??

Technically all living creatures are eatable. Muskies in particular are not the most tasty (I've never tried jjust heard) I hope that no one would ever eat a fish of some of the sizes posted on here.

drew2675
February 21st, 2008, 06:00 PM
Smesk, ya gotta give me the numbers on that HOG! Lure? Time of year, ya know details man. Congrats on a true giant.

muskie_man
February 21st, 2008, 08:21 PM
Are these fish eatable??

CATCH AND RELEASE ONLY for muskie!!

smesk403
February 22nd, 2008, 01:28 AM
Smesk, ya gotta give me the numbers on that HOG! Lure? Time of year, ya know details man. Congrats on a true giant.

July 07 fish 50"x27.5" a little over 46lbs

Wish I could say I caught him. The true story is that myself and a buddy were fishing a lake. We went over an area and I glanced back behind the boat (I was in the front of the boat). No more then 20 feet behind the boat where we had just casted over was this fish belly up. I asked my buddy "Is that a musky?". He trolled us over and getting near it he said to me "Geez thats a 50 incher!" I said "Dude, thats a 50 pounder!" We brought the fish in the boat and upon setting it on the floor of the boat it gave a quiver. We immediately dumped her back in the water and tried to revive her. After not much time I told my buddy it was pointless because the fish floated up on it's own. he agreed. Then we snapped some pictures. Neither my buddy nor I had the heart to mount the fish as our own so we donated it to a DNR Service center. The service center had it mounted and if it isn't already it will soon be on display for the public to see at the DNR service center.

My buddy and I came to the conclusion that we raised the fish and while chasing one of our lures it either over-exerted itself or hit the thermocline and it was too much of a shock to it's body and the fish died.

Upon donation to the DNR they conducted DNA analysis and aged the fish and determined it to be only 17 years old. Also the taxidermist found what he believed to be the cause of death. He found a large tumor in the stomach of the fish cutting off the passage of food. Thats right this fish died of starvation! This july fish weighed 46lbs 5oz on a completely empty stomach. If this fish was caught in the fall on a full belly it could've easily gone 55lbs maybe more.

Although not caught. Still an awesome trophy. And shows that there are still monsters in northern inland lakes

drew2675
February 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
Although not technically "caught" still a great catch and story. You did the right thing. Have you thought about a replica? 17 doesn't seem that old for a fish of that size to die of starvation. I can't wait for this ice to come off and get out there.

justanotherbuck
February 22nd, 2008, 09:07 AM
i work for heckels marina,the fish i caught ,gave me great pr,since it was the largest fish of the chippewa flowage for 07,it was in milwaukee journal,musky hunter magazine,badger sportman,wisconsin outdoor new,dan small-judy nuggent interview the list goes on,the fish is at lax taxidermist,ive been on the phone with a few resorts in the hayward area they would like to show the fish off when it is done,,,,the big chip is struggling producing fish over 50 inches,thats why this year it will be going to a 50 size limit.

smesk403
February 22nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
i work for heckels marina,the fish i caught ,gave me great pr,since it was the largest fish of the chippewa flowage for 07,it was in milwaukee journal,musky hunter magazine,badger sportman,wisconsin outdoor new,dan small-judy nuggent interview the list goes on,the fish is at lax taxidermist,ive been on the phone with a few resorts in the hayward area they would like to show the fish off when it is done,,,,the big chip is struggling producing fish over 50 inches,thats why this year it will be going to a 50 size limit.

I trust you let her go so I can catch her next year at 37 lbs? doesn't appear that way from your pics.