PDA

View Full Version : My Boat Leaks, I Need Some Help!!!

nealinMO
June 13th, 2007, 06:56 PM
I have a 17 foot aluminum bass boat with a false floor and fishing decks front and back. It has a rivited bottom and there are alot of rivits that are leaking.. I called my boat mech. and he said he couldn't put new rivits in it so he gave me the number to a welder that works on boats.. I dropped the boat off Monday night and he called me tonight and said he couldn't weld it because of the false floor and flotation foam...

What else can be done to fix this leaky boat, besides selling it.. It was my grandfathers before he pass away last year..

Any help would be appreciated!!!!

88 PS190
June 13th, 2007, 07:13 PM
well.

Two methods.

First the quick one, if you can get through the false floor to see the bottom mark the rivets that leak, and i mean each and everyone, then mix up a two part marine epoxy such as marine tex. And put some over each leaky rivet, this will prevent the leaking. and i've done a few little aluminum row boats that way, you're covering the floor anyway so it won't show up.

Or... second option, which is eh... kinda heavy, is to fiberglass the bottom.

Ideally you gain access to the inside, might involve stripping all the foam and the interior panels.

joebowman
June 14th, 2007, 02:06 AM
You could try a product by 3M. It is a rubberized bedliner type material that you can roll on. It is durable and a couple of thin coats shouldn't wiegh it down much. Just an idea.

nealinMO
June 14th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the reply's, I would rather not have to take everything apart since we just put in all new carpet.. But we may have to..

Where can I get that roll on 3M stuff???

Thanks again!!!

semobow
June 15th, 2007, 12:15 AM
I would put some kind of 2 part epoxy(JB Weld) on the leaky rivits and then coat it with some kind of finish.

joebowman
June 15th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Thanks for the reply's, I would rather not have to take everything apart since we just put in all new carpet.. But we may have to..

Where can I get that roll on 3M stuff???

Thanks again!!!

I have seen it at Wal-Mart in the auto section. Or you might try an auto parts store. I would think that any product similar would work also. If you go that route let me know how it works out for you.

predator86
June 15th, 2007, 05:50 AM
i would jb weld wherever it is leaking, but since you already dropped it off at the welder's then you might as well have him weld it up for ya. welding will last the longest anyways

PA.JAY
June 15th, 2007, 11:30 AM
their is stuff made for that I think GM has it . it looks like silly puddy but it gets hard as steel after you use it . works great just can,t remember the name .

stixshooter
June 15th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Don't mess around and go buy a product called "Marine-Tex" it is an epoxy like no other also will work even in wet conditions when applying. Heck I should be on their staff after a pitch like this, No it really works good and is pretty cheap.

http://www.marinetex.com/PRODUCT%20PAGE_files/All%20MarineTex%20Putty/marinetex%20prod%20info.htm

nealinMO
June 15th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Don't mess around and go buy a product called "Marine-Tex" it is an epoxy like no other also will work even in wet conditions when applying. Heck I should be on their staff after a pitch like this, No it really works good and is pretty cheap.

http://www.marinetex.com/PRODUCT%20PAGE_files/All%20MarineTex%20Putty/marinetex%20prod%20info.htm

Where can I find this stuff??

huntaholic
July 5th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Has anyone tried to use a Map gas torch, some flux and a heavy solder???

I always wondered if this would work!!!!

spec
July 7th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Are you certain it is leaking thru the rivets? I had a livewell pump go bad once and it leaked into the boat. Could also have a loose hose/gasket to/from the livewell or even around the drain plug.

nealinMO
July 7th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Are you certain it is leaking thru the rivets? I had a livewell pump go bad once and it leaked into the boat. Could also have a loose hose/gasket to/from the livewell or even around the drain plug.

There are several rivits that are loose on the bottom..

ecm
July 7th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Drill out the loose rivets then go to your auto parts store and ask for "sealed" pop rivets. They look like regular pop rivets, but are closed on the end.

B.Butch
July 7th, 2007, 10:09 PM
take out the false floor and flotation and get it welded your revits are leaking because they came out from cross raffters under the floor and if u don't weld it is flaping under the boat it will tare the hole boat up in time if u don't fix it right if u want to keep it if not buy a beilge pump and run it to distruction. if u just try to patch it u are wasteing money it won't last but two trips maybe

SilentElk
July 11th, 2007, 05:35 PM
My buddy just painted the bottom of his boat with black bedliner. He did about 1/2 way to the top and it sweeps up in the front. Looks sweet. Rivets dont leak at all any more. Difference is, this is a 14' Alum one person can unload by hand. You would have to jack yours up or something to get to the underside of a 17' boat. I am sure yours is heavy.

nealinMO
July 12th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I've had alot of people around home and on here tell me to cover the bottom with some type of bedliner material.. I may try that for now and save the tearing everything out for a winter project..:sad:

And yes SilentElk it is extremely heavy..