PDA

View Full Version : smallmouth bass dying

beersndeer
June 16th, 2007, 10:17 PM
i have been reading about the small mouth bass back home in VA on the james river being sick and alot of the adult fish dying. is anyone else across the country ever heard of this. from what i have read and from talking to people back home it is affecting fish from 10 inches and up. it's a sad thing because they are a great fish to catch and release.

semobow
June 16th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I don't know about smallmouths dying off, but here in Mo a few years back we had an outbreak of some kind of virus that was killing a lot of largemouths in Tablerock lake.

Jeff K in IL
June 17th, 2007, 12:04 AM
The reason they experience this is because of the stuff that is in the river. Pesticides, Fecal Matter, Garbage etc. The Potomac is the hardest hit. They think it has to do with the local farms on the river, especially ones that have chickens.

Yes it is a shame, but it will rebound...:wink:

mtn. archer
June 19th, 2007, 05:25 PM
its been like this for the past 3 years blue gill, smallmouth,largemouth i have even seen this in chubs its just not adult fish ive seen it in smaller ones also.this is the shenandoah river here in virginia.seems like the game department is not doing anything about this they still claim they have no idea what is causing this.they need to act a little better than this.i river has been in all types of fishing magazines for our smallmouth fishing but right know bigger fish are harder to come buy.

Lawrence Archer
June 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM
The smallies are nice and big up here in Nova Scotia, very aggressive. I haven't heard of die-offs, even in the States.

beersndeer
June 19th, 2007, 07:33 PM
its been like this for the past 3 years blue gill, smallmouth,largemouth i have even seen this in chubs its just not adult fish ive seen it in smaller ones also.this is the shenandoah river here in virginia.seems like the game department is not doing anything about this they still claim they have no idea what is causing this.they need to act a little better than this.i river has been in all types of fishing magazines for our smallmouth fishing but right know bigger fish are harder to come buy.

yeah i read about it happening for awhile around the shenandoah. i just would like to know what is going on because i enjoy coming back home and floating on the james fishing for smallmouth. i am with you though it seems like nothing is happening.

doctariAFC
July 6th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I hope your fisheries managers are collecting some samples for testing. Great Lakes States right now are suffering from the spread of VHS type IVb, basically fish ebola. Affects 37+ different freshwater species.

Hopefully this pathogen hasn't spread to your areas, but you never know. Skaneateles Lakes, one of NY's finger lakes was just recently confirmed VHS positive, in smallmouth bass die offs this spring. Really sucks.

Brown Hornet
July 6th, 2007, 01:44 PM
The reason they experience this is because of the stuff that is in the river. Pesticides, Fecal Matter, Garbage etc. The Potomac is the hardest hit. They think it has to do with the local farms on the river, especially ones that have chickens.

Yes it is a shame, but it will rebound...:wink:

I think you may have your rivers mixed up a little....the Potomac isn't seeing a decline. There where a few years that the smallies didn't spawn or the spawn was wipped out from major flooding (like 3 of 5 years). But the fish population is getting stronger again every year. I fished the upper a couple weeks ago and crushed smallies and perch. My cousin and I where wading and he caught over 70 perch and about 20 smallies....I caught well over 100 perch and about 35-40 smallies. I could see this years hatch swimming all over the place.

The Doah is another story.....

Matt / PA
July 6th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Yep same thing here........the Susquehanna got nuked a couple years back.

They blamed the pesticides etc and runoff combined with high temps and low O2 saturation. Supposedly it's going to take a decade for a world class fishery to recover.

I know Bob Clouser 2 years ago stopped taking guide trips because he felt guilty taking people's money. He went from days with clients catching upwards of 100 bass a day to HOPING to catch a fish or 2.:eek:
If Bob Clouser is having a hard time catching fish........something really bad has happened to the fishery.

vabass
July 6th, 2007, 09:19 PM
i have been reading about the small mouth bass back home in VA on the james river being sick and alot of the adult fish dying. is anyone else across the country ever heard of this. from what i have read and from talking to people back home it is affecting fish from 10 inches and up. it's a sad thing because they are a great fish to catch and release.

I have been sick over the Shenandoah. We had a stretch of river we used to catch a load of fish from. We had days where a group of 6 of us would catch over 1,000 fish per day (red eye and smallies). Then the red eyes seemed to disappear however the bass fishing remained strong until about 3 years ago or so. Our group went right after the first reports of fish kills. The water was pea green and we caught a total of 8 fish. Seemed like they were blaming the chicken farmers where rain water runoff would wash waste into the water causing algae blooms. Dont know why the farmers are a problem all of the sudden though. They have been farming that land for years and didnt seem to be a problem before. They have reported more fish kills this year and we havent even had that much rain to wash waste into the river. Hopefully they will get it firgured out while I am young enogh to float the river.