PDA

View Full Version : Smallmouth in Lake Ontario....

bugg00jr
June 19th, 2007, 02:04 AM
where are they at? cant seem to find em around the sodus,fairhaven area. any ideas?:confused:

Yankee Troller
June 19th, 2007, 10:34 AM
They were there a few weeks ago, but they were in 10' of water or less. I saw a lot of boats off of Chimmeny Bluffs this past weekend. Also to the east of Port Bay. All were targeting 15-30 FOW. SInce the gobies invaded the bottom of Lake O I would try trolling for them. I think the SM have moved up in the water column some. Use stick baits and crankbaits that will dive 10'. Troll between 15-25FOW. Hey, it cant hurt!

Also try the drop-shot method with 4' soft plastics.

BowHunter6666
June 19th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the heads up we go to Sodus quite a bit to fish smallmouths. Where do you think they have gone?

Yankee Troller
June 19th, 2007, 10:44 AM
I dont think they went anywhere. I still see the schools inthe spring time on the shore. I just think they adapted to the goby. Sine the goby invaded the bottom of the lake the SM have suspended themself some more.

bugg00jr
June 19th, 2007, 12:33 PM
i thought the smallies ate those gobies? ive heard of guys catching em last weekend around chimney bluffs, but it was early morning topwater action. then they went bottom fishing with crabs and worms, couldnt keep the football size smallies off, but they knew there were big ones there. well i got a tournament this weekend in sodus bay, maybe some are still in the bay. let yall know:darkbeer:

doctariAFC
June 19th, 2007, 02:56 PM
i thought the smallies ate those gobies? ive heard of guys catching em last weekend around chimney bluffs, but it was early morning topwater action. then they went bottom fishing with crabs and worms, couldnt keep the football size smallies off, but they knew there were big ones there. well i got a tournament this weekend in sodus bay, maybe some are still in the bay. let yall know:darkbeer:

10'-20' depths. Start shallow early and move out deeper the later in the day you go.

The drop shot rig is tough to beat. You could also give the Silver Buddy a try, too.

Smoke 3" tubes aslo deliver, and in those depths I would select 1/4 oz head.

Yes, the goby has done some things to bass behavior, but they're still in there, and hungry..

Good luck....