PDA

View Full Version : What's The Best Way To Fish A Crankbait??

nealinMO
June 19th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I've grown up fishing soft plastics and spinnerbaits, the one bait that I've never had any luck with crankbaits.. I catch a ton of fish on soft plastics but I want to learn to throw crankbaits... :embara:

I would appreciate any advise you all can give me!!!!
Thanks!!

Team Hoyt PA
June 19th, 2007, 07:09 PM
depends on the situation and the depth . When i toss around logs and debris (shallow) i usually just reel fast enough for the crankbait to make some noise and i like to give it a quick jerk or two every once in a while. Bumping if off of logs, rocks and even pausing will trigger a reaction.

When i'm using a crankbait in deeper water i do the same but with a slower retrieve when at the right depth.

Make sure you get a varity for them to snack on. Sometimes a color change will do the trick or appearence and presentation.
Also get some different depth crank baits. Should say right on the package what depth the bait will run in.
Personally i like them for shallow.

cetorP
June 19th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Not sure where you are in Missouri, but Table Rock, Stockton, Lake of the O and Truman are all great crankbait lakes, depending on the time of year.

Post spawn on Table Rock and Stocton we throw dd22 Normans, and 3/4 oz fat free shads.... water color dictates lure color- in clear water, the soft to clear colors like ghost shad/pearl shad are good, and when water gets slightly dirty, the Citrus color fat free shad works great (more chartruese on it). May is always the best month for me, but the heat of the summer is good too. Find some fish that will eat it and you can load the boat off one small spot.

Truman is sort of known for Balsa B's, square bill crankbaits in the heat of summer (but deep runners are sometimes good there too like above). Run up into the creeks and burn square-bills around any kind of cover. I have never got in on this bite real good, but I dont fish Truman too much- I have heard of some great sacks coming on this pattern though.

I used to hate throwin the deep cranks, but now I dont let May go without one tied on. They are just like any other bait or pattern though, there is a time and place for em.

nealinMO
June 19th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I do alot of fishing on Thomas Hill Resevoir and some little lakes around Macon and Moberly...