PDA

View Full Version : Need fish finder recommendations

Cabbage14
June 22nd, 2007, 12:04 PM
I just bought a new boat, need to buy a fish finder, not looking to break the bank, but want a good one. Any recommendations would be helpful. Thanks!

melbyr
June 26th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Any locator that Lowrance makes would be good reliable unit, their sister company; Eagle , will be lower priced, but still a excellant locator. I would recomend a Eagle 480 fishmark as the best unit for the money. If you can afford a color, go for it .
Good Luck Ron

MNmike
June 27th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Any locator that Lowrance makes would be good reliable unit, their sister company; Eagle , will be lower priced, but still a excellant locator. I would recomend a Eagle 480 fishmark as the best unit for the money. If you can afford a color, go for it .
Good Luck Ron

The granddaddy in the locator field.

I have a LCX-25c and love it. Have it set-up with 2 different transducers for regular and deep water fishing.

The gps is irreplaceable. As well and the lake mapping ability.

This may be a lil' more than you want to spend.

A great gps/sonar unit is the Lowrance LCX-17M or any LMS unit if wanting a combo w/gps.

If you do a fair amount of open water fishing, I would strongly recommend gps.

doctariAFC
June 27th, 2007, 05:51 PM
The granddaddy in the locator field.

I have a LCX-25c and love it. Have it set-up with 2 different transducers for regular and deep water fishing.

The gps is irreplaceable. As well and the lake mapping ability.

This may be a lil' more than you want to spend.

A great gps/sonar unit is the Lowrance LCX-17M or any LMS unit if wanting a combo w/gps.

If you do a fair amount of open water fishing, I would strongly recommend gps.
Agreed.

If you plan on trolling open waters, a GPS module is invaluable. So, too is the speed module. Surface temp can also be very, very helpful...

GPS - uses:

When jigging is your primary means of fishing, the GPS can obviously get you pretty darned close to the rock pile or ledge.

When trolling, the GPS does help to return to a spot, but, better use is to set a course for the day to troll. When you pick up a fish, mark a waypoint. Hit another one, mark another waypoint.

Then you simply troll through your numbers....

MNmike
June 28th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I have many waypoints set up to troll walleyes on unmarked main lake structures that most people can't effectively troll. Every time I go out and use these markers they are spot on!

I have little faith in the digital paddle wheel speedo, but a ton of faith in the gps speed.

hooknlargemouth
June 28th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Ive got a Lms 520-c with hot spots card on my jon boat..GPS is so cool well worth the money..You cant go wrong with lowrance great products :wink:

muzzyguy16
August 1st, 2007, 01:52 PM
trust me I was a bassfisherman long be fore I was a hunter and I know my stuff when I say dont go with a garmin just about anything that lowrance makes is good and eagle makes good stuff too

INHUNTER
August 4th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I don't own a Lowrance, but have heard nothing but good things about them. I've always owned Hummingbird & have never had an issue with them.