PDA

View Full Version : Attn NYS Trappers - IMPORTANT

doctariAFC
July 6th, 2007, 04:22 PM
The anti Pete Grannis is starting his assault on outdoors enthusiasts, as I knew he would, and he has started with trappers. He is proposing outlandish changes to trapping regulations, restricting use of 160 and 220 conibear or body-gripping traps for the sake of "protecting dogs".

The proposed regs may be viewed from here:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/34028.html

Please read the text of these proposals, and then also note the public comment period ENDS JULY 16, 2007. You may comment using the email link found near the very bottom of the web page.

Below is the comment that I have sent onto the DEC. Please feel free to use it if you cannot come up with your own, or if it will save you time.

I write this to express my formal and strong opposition to the proposed trapping regulation changes, applicable to new set regulations for 160 and 220 sized conibear or body-gripping traps.

As the proposal states, these proposed changes in trapping regulations is geared to protect house pets (dogs), rather than address issues with wildlife, which would be a more appropriate reason than concern over dogs.

Although a noble idea, the bottom line is simple. Trappers play a vital, important role in wildlife management in NYS. One does not protect dogs by blaming or targeting the traps, as these are inanimate objects. These tools trappers rely upon, and removal or further restriction of these tools reduces the effectiveness of their role in wildlife management. Towns, municipalities and every community member rely upon trappers to manage wildlife populations not readily or effectively hunt-able, such as raccoons, muskrat, red fox, etc. These species carry and can transmit such deadly diseases as rabies, to both house pets and humans. In many areas, rabies is once again on the rise due to loss of trappers controlling susceptible species from overpopulation. Further restriction on trappers for the sake of potentially saving dogs is putting human life last, which is intolerable.

More disturbing, however, is the message this sends to the many irresponsible pet owners of NYS. By imposing more unnecessary restrictions upon lawful trappers, this department is endorsing irresponsible dog ownership, by shifting their responsibility to protect and properly care for their pets to the trappers and the traps. I cannot understand how one who states caring for dogs can possibly take such a position and send such a message.

Dog owners need to obey the rules, such as obtaining a dog license, containing their pets using suitable and proper methods, such as fenced yards, leashes and tethers. Above all, understanding and recognizing that during certain parts of the year, wildlife management efforts are underway, demanding extra responsibility on the part of the owner to assure the safety of their pet.

I would recommend, rather than targeting the most necessary wildlife management activities, such as trapping, this department should re-focus its energies to strengthen enforcement and punishment for irresponsible dog owners. This would include heavy fines, loss of dog licenses, and animal cruelty charges if a careless dog owner allows their pet to roam free, and it ends up tragically dying in a legally set trap.

This type of action would demonstrate genuine concern for the safety of dogs, demand accountability for those truly responsible the pet owner, while maintaining the effectiveness trappers deliver in wildlife management efforts.

Respectfully,

The trappers of NYS need our help. PLease unite and block this nonsense!

Thank you all

Team Hoyt PA
July 6th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Wish i was in NY to help you folks out. Very well written letter Doc.

And this shouldn't only be a concern to the Trappers of NY, But ALL hunters and outdoor enthusiasts nation wide.

Thanks Doc. Don't know if you've done it or not, but i would put this in the bowhunting section as well. The mods have understood and embraced trapping issues before, and i don't see that anything has changed.

doctariAFC
July 9th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Wish i was in NY to help you folks out. Very well written letter Doc.

And this shouldn't only be a concern to the Trappers of NY, But ALL hunters and outdoor enthusiasts nation wide.

Thanks Doc. Don't know if you've done it or not, but i would put this in the bowhunting section as well. The mods have understood and embraced trapping issues before, and i don't see that anything has changed.

Thanks. Will do right now.

We have one week to ovberwhelm the DEC with opposition letters. I hope we bury them so deep in paper and email that they cannot get into their offices, and the mail server chokes!

JDES900X
December 5th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Doc,
Excellent letter. I will bring this to the attention of more sportsmen in our shop.

On a different subject, do you have any knowledge about the testing and possible use of the immunocontraceptives, PZP, and GnRh in NYS? There are some disturbing ramifications for hunting, and more specifically, hunting whitetails, if the FDA and the EPA give in to groups like the HSUS, and their support and well financed research into the use of these unnatural contraceptives here and elsewhere. For example, the use of GnRH, or GonaCon, as it is called, can significantly reduce the amount of testosterone in mature whitetail bucks, thereby eliminating rutting activity, such as chasing does, antler hardening and growth, etc. In does, the results are as expected. Does remain infertile for 2-5 years. Estrus cycles are eliminated and deer populations are reduced by up to 23% per year. The HSUS is currently perfecting an oral form that can be fed to large numbers of deer anywhere they wish to put it. I would like to know if you have heard any more about this effort.

doctariAFC
December 27th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Doc,
Excellent letter. I will bring this to the attention of more sportsmen in our shop.

On a different subject, do you have any knowledge about the testing and possible use of the immunocontraceptives, PZP, and GnRh in NYS? There are some disturbing ramifications for hunting, and more specifically, hunting whitetails, if the FDA and the EPA give in to groups like the HSUS, and their support and well financed research into the use of these unnatural contraceptives here and elsewhere. For example, the use of GnRH, or GonaCon, as it is called, can significantly reduce the amount of testosterone in mature whitetail bucks, thereby eliminating rutting activity, such as chasing does, antler hardening and growth, etc. In does, the results are as expected. Does remain infertile for 2-5 years. Estrus cycles are eliminated and deer populations are reduced by up to 23% per year. The HSUS is currently perfecting an oral form that can be fed to large numbers of deer anywhere they wish to put it. I would like to know if you have heard any more about this effort.

Sorry for the delayed response, but yes I am aware of the testing to see if it can be authorized. But the information coming out is skewed. No, HSUS will not be able to use it where they see fit.

But you bring an excellent point... And we had better get busy now to stop this kind of direction before Pandora is let out of the box. Not good at all....

As an FYI, the trapping regs have just become codified, and are now official regs, as of yesterday, December 26, 2007

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/37881.html

These regs are a violation of the DEC's own charter and authority, and considering these new regs apply on all lands, it is a violation of Federal Law and the WIldlife Management Area Act, which specifically states uses of WMA include ONLY wildlife management activities, such as hunting, trapping and fishing. Hiking and trails are forbidden by law, and enacting such a law is direct violation of Federal Statutes.....

Time to get real busy. Contacting Senators now, won't hear back from them till after the 1st, but I am contacting them now. Will post the letter I am sending to the legislators when I am done with it....

This is absolutely FUBAR