PDA

View Full Version : Rage and Rocky Mt Snyper, look alike!

ruttinbuck
July 10th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Ok, I haven't been on the bowhunting section in a while. This might of been brought up before. The new Rage head looks very similar to the Snyper. The Rage is alittle shorter. I've always heard that Snypers were very sharp. 1)
Hows the Rage's blades? 2) How does their tips hold up hitting ribs or other bones? I've used Muzzys for years and G5 Strikers last year. They both held up very well. After watching some of the Drurys new dvds, they didn't get alot of pass throughs. But man, did they leave a big entrace hole. 3) Do these heads require alot of K.E. compaired to say Rockets Steelheads? Just hoping for some feedback on these two heads. Thanks :darkbeer:

cdmorten
July 10th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Someone told me that Rage bought out Rocky Mountain Snypers and then improved the design slightly. Can anyone confirm?

dtrkyman
July 10th, 2007, 07:53 PM
imho the rage is an inferior version of a snyper,and they didnt buy them out.

ELKhuntR
July 10th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Field logic bought Rocky Mtn. and then I'm pretty sure they incorporated the Rocky Mtn Design with the new blade deployment technolgy and then started Rage under a whole new name.

ELKhuntR
July 10th, 2007, 08:11 PM
not entirely true.

Field logic bought Rocky Mtn.

and then that company as a whole started Rage.

hint the ability to share technology.

lampasashunter
July 10th, 2007, 08:14 PM

Please explain why you think this.

ruttinbuck
July 10th, 2007, 09:21 PM
If this is true, then (not that it matters) maybe thats why Randy Ulmer is shooting them. Hes been with Rocky Mt for a long time.

dtrkyman,
Why do you think they are not as good?

Are the blades sharp?

Do they require alot of KE?

Would 50 ft/lbs of KE be enough to shoot them?

red44
July 10th, 2007, 09:35 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the snypers are a 1 1/2" cut, the rage is 2". The snyper uses a rubber band, the rage an O-ring. What was really improved? Seems rage took the gator blade (2") and put it on a snyper. I'm not knocking rage, but whats the big difference.

FLGobstopper
July 10th, 2007, 10:24 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the snypers are a 1 1/2" cut, the rage is 2". The snyper uses a rubber band, the rage an O-ring. What was really improved? Seems rage took the gator blade (2") and put it on a snyper. I'm not knocking rage, but whats the big difference.

Red hit the nail on the head. However, I do like the little bit larger hole the Rage 2 blade leaves.

dtrkyman
July 11th, 2007, 10:47 AM
after sending a few snypers through several deer and a fox all that was required was to clean them up and resharpen them or change blades,my buddy was shooting the rage at the same time and they did not hold up,lost blades bent ferrules,the two blade rage seemed to function better than the three as well.

Mudshack
July 11th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I just bought a pack of the 2-blade Rage BH's last night after shooting at the Bow Zone.

I have shot no less than 6 different broadheads through my rig, and ALL shoot 2-4" higher than my field tips. I am paper tuned, and my timing is "spot on." I just figured this is the way of the BH. So I sighted my hunting rig in on BH.

Last night I shot field tips first.....tight group at .5" low at 20 yards.

Shot my Sonic 100gr BH next (what I used last year) and I was again 2" high for all three shots.

Shot the Rage Practice Head......X I mean it buried it! Then I shot the real BH and it was .5" high. I was instantly impressed.

But here is the real impressive part. I was shooting my Sonics and Landsharks. My brother was shooting an "off name" 3 blade. All shot went through my Black Hole layerd target about 12" on the back side. Even the Rage Practice BH went 12" through. But when I shot the Real BH, I passed completely through the Black Hole target and 4" into the backup layered target. We were all like "WOW!"

So do they require a lot of KE......I would say no based on this test. And I am shooting a 2005 Hoyt Ultra Sport at 68lbs with Easton A/C/C 390 arrows and blazers.

ELKhuntR
July 11th, 2007, 11:53 AM
pretty sure

Rage's 3-blade has a 1.5 inch cutting diameter whereas the

2 blade had a 2-inch

ELKhuntR
July 11th, 2007, 11:56 AM
what's the difference between a thunderhead XP and regular thunderhead?

just a different version. Remember Rage was started bascially by Field Logic/Rocky Mtn. so it makes sense to share technologies.