PDA

View Full Version : brown trout help

No.1 Hoyt
August 3rd, 2007, 12:30 AM
im going to Meremac springs to go trout fishing. Last time i went I notice some fish I think they were browns the held tight to the bottom and were in an intersection of 2 converging curents.

next time i go which will be this monday I would like to hook a brown.

i was thinking fishing a nymph deep right by them or stripping a streamer or muddler minnow by them. what do you guys think?

muzzyguy16
August 3rd, 2007, 01:28 AM
use a nymph or anything near bottom and in the slicks i would even try a dry fly like spruce moth

wabobbo
August 14th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I've caught them with a muddler minnow before, and i've caught them with power bait too

tcooll77
August 14th, 2007, 01:49 AM
cant go wrong with a bead head wooley bugger, black or olive green

it will catch anything from trout to...? anything

or a prince ear nymph, also copper johns are nice (not the sights)

mathewsk
August 14th, 2007, 01:54 AM
the wild browns here in PA on the pennscreek!

jagerace
August 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM
I have been doing quite well on the browns in zone II at Bennet springs. They have been holding in the fast water at the head of riffles and will take any dark dry fly you throw at them. Caught 11 of them on Sunday along with 40 or 50 rainbows all on a dry fly. Bought a new 3 weight ultra light and its a blast.

As far as your deep browns are concerned, I would weight up a tan scud and bounce it off the bottom under a float. Just make sure that your fly is ahead of the float, if it drags behind it will go too fast and the trout won't hit it. They need a very natural presentation and speed. Also zebra midges work quite well this time of year. Try a size 18 or 20, usually the smaller the better when the water is very clear.

Pm me if you have anymore questions as I am somewhat of a self taught expert when it comes to Missouri trout parks.

Josh

SilentHntr.
August 16th, 2007, 10:11 AM
a beedhead black caddis, catches them.

jagerace
August 16th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Headin to Bennett for the next couple of days. I'll post some pics if I catch anything of any size. Weather is supposed to be alot better this weekend good luck to all that are going out.

Josh

Bowtech_08
August 17th, 2007, 10:46 AM
When I fly-fish Fishing Creek for Browns at night I use big size nymphs and streamers on a #2-6.