PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain this????

huntaholic
August 9th, 2007, 11:55 PM
I have a 2003 Skeeter ZX200, with a four banks charging system.

I had two trolling batteries go dead and the third was fine (at least when we tested it). I bought two batteries and installed them. As I took the leads off the existing dead batteries, I zip tied them through the ring terminals so I could put them back on easily. I put everything in and checked my trolling motor, nothing.....

I looked at the LED readout for the Banks, nothing.....
I looked at the banks for the charge indicator. Battery 1 and Battery 4 (motor) had LED's reading but 2 & 3 showed nothing.....

When I have the trolling motor on constant on, or momentary on it only clicks and tries to rotate but doesn't, however if I put it in high bypass it'll spin like it should.

I have the batteries wired in series, and the + & - leads from the charging system are going to + & - on the batteries.

Anyone got ideas on what happened?????

Also when I put the meter on the batteries, I get 12 volts on each battery independantly and 36 volts when in series.

mdewitt71
August 10th, 2007, 12:00 AM
you got a wire diagram to your boat?

Sounds like there is a shunt or relay acting up....

huntaholic
August 10th, 2007, 12:27 AM
you got a wire diagram to your boat?

Sounds like there is a shunt or relay acting up....

No wiring diagram, I'm looking online for one now......

ciscokid
August 10th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Wiring in series doubles the voltage
wiring in parallel doubles the amperage

What is the voltage on the batteries
what is the voltage rating on the trolling motor & accesories

Could be a relay like dewitt said .

You will need a multimeter that can test for current draw.
You will have to start with some charged batteries. Connect the black test lead to the negative terminal of the battery.

Connect the red test lead to each accessory negative. This will tell you if there is a current draw for each accesory that you connect. Leave each device off while testing. This will isolate which device is causing the current draw while the power is off.

I hope this helps

huntaholic
August 10th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Trolling motor is 36v, 109lbs thrust, tour edition

I've got it wired this way:

Main Cables to trolling motor plug:
Red (from Trolling motor) to Battery 1 Red (+)
Battery 1 Black (-) to Battery 2 Red (+)
Battery 2 Black (-) to Battery 3 Red (+)
Battery 3 Black (-) to Trolling motor

Cables from Banks 4 Pro Charging system to Batteries:
Cable 1: Red (+) to Battery 1 Red (+); Black (-) to Battery 1 Black (-)
Cable 2: Red (+) to Battery 2 Red (+); Black (-) to Battery 2 Black (-)
Cable 3: Red (+) to Battery 3 Red (+); Black (-) to Battery 3 Black (-)
Cable 4: Red (+) to Battery 4 Red (+); Black (-) to Battery 4 Black (-)

Cables from Banks LED Readout to Batteries:
First Cable 1: Red (+) to Battery 1 Red (+); Black (-) to Battery 1 Black (-)
First Cable 2: Red (+) to Battery 2 Red (+); Black (-) to Battery 2 Black (-)
Second Cable 1: Red (+) to Battery 3 Red (+); Black (-) to Battery 3 Black (-)
Second Cable 2: Red (+) to Battery 4 Red (+); Black (-) to Battery 4 Black (-)

From everything I know about wiring this is all correct, it just seems that I took something off and it went Murphy on me. Maybe a loose connection or one of those in line fuses giving me fits.

I'm fixin to open the trolling motor up to see what's up in there and if it is a relay.

INHUNTER
August 11th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Unfortunatley I'm not too familiar with a multi-battery setup, but can tell you I've been doing a lot of research on a starting problem & trim problem I've been having and found a great resource. There's a forum, like this one, just for boaters that has a lot of information & helpfull people. It's www.iboats.com

ciscokid
August 12th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Multi-battery isn't that bad. You still end up connecting just two wires to the device. That is where you would put the test leads in place to test for excess current draw.

If you can test each battery seperately. All it takes is one dead/weak battery to cause issues. You could also test the voltage across each device to make sure it is 36V.

Test each relay/circuit breaker by keeping one of your test leads on the opposite terminal and the other before & after the relay/circuit breaker.This will help you see if there is a difference in voltage on either side. If there is no difference then it is good.

Good Luck

MNmike
August 22nd, 2007, 04:50 AM
If you don't have access to a ammeter or shunt. All you have to do is place a voltmeter across the battery back to read the 36v. Then while connected, try your trolling motor and watch the bank voltage for excessive drop.

You just may have a bad switch on your trolling motor.