PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Hunters!?!

Rye77
August 13th, 2007, 01:35 AM
I am wanting to do an out of state hunt trip this year. I am heavily considering Maryland because it's close and has a decent population and available land. I am looking/hoping for some input. Keep in mind, I am just looking to hunt somewhere different, not really looking for a trophy. So, quantity of quality for this outing--would like something for the freezer and to experience a new area.

I was considering Cedarville State Forest in the southern region. Is this area any good or over hunted?
Is there a better area in the southern region?
Is there lodging available reasonably close at a decent rate? (I'll probably figure this one out on my own via hotwire.com)
Is the area conducive to a drop hunt of four days give or take a day?
One last question, why is bow season closed from 23 Nov to 10 Dec? Seems like a prime time to hunt!

Thanks for any and all input you guys can help with. I see that you've got Sunday hunting on private lands only... maybe they'll expand it soon to cover state lands too! Sure would make doing a drop hunt easier on the vacation books!

Rye

Rye77
August 13th, 2007, 09:28 AM
anyone?

robs archery
August 13th, 2007, 09:56 AM
I am wanting to do an out of state hunt trip this year. I am heavily considering Maryland because it's close and has a decent population and available land. I am looking/hoping for some input. Keep in mind, I am just looking to hunt somewhere different, not really looking for a trophy. So, quantity of quality for this outing--would like something for the freezer and to experience a new area.

I was considering Cedarville State Forest in the southern region. Is this area any good or over hunted?
Is there a better area in the southern region?
Is there lodging available reasonably close at a decent rate? (I'll probably figure this one out on my own via hotwire.com)
Is the area conducive to a drop hunt of four days give or take a day?
One last question, why is bow season closed from 23 Nov to 10 Dec? Seems like a prime time to hunt!

Thanks for any and all input you guys can help with. I see that you've got Sunday hunting on private lands only... maybe they'll expand it soon to cover state lands too! Sure would make doing a drop hunt easier on the vacation books!

Rye

from nov 24 to dec 8 is our firearms season with no sunday hunting
I cant comment on the southern region as I line in northern md harford county
but the hunting in my area is really good lots of deer and good quality deer
you might want to contact the md dnr mabye they could offer some help
good luck

huntfish25
August 13th, 2007, 10:06 AM
easter shore. they have alot of new puplice land seval of hotels and other places to stay at. if you planning to hunt rifle that ok bbut i will stick with the bow first week or the second week of nov is the best bucks is on the move and it seems to be a geat time hunting. i take my vecation at that time. if you tell me where you like to go i mint can put you in a good area. and you can do the same for me some day

Brown Hornet
August 13th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I haven't hunted that land but I have shot tourneys there. There is lodging close by (within 10-15 mins).

I can't comment on the hunting or deer population though......

Rye77
August 13th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Huntnfish,

I've not really picked an area yet. I chose Cedarville because of it's proximity. Though, the shore isnt' much further of a drive. I am looking to bow hunt and had considered November, but I am unsure if I could pull that one off. Most likely be Dec. before I can break free and head up there.

huntfish25
August 13th, 2007, 10:33 AM
iin dec muzzler is in the deer in puplice land are running for there life. the good thing is marylander hunt the morings and leave until even. marylards do like the cold much ether so if it cold there wont be much out there.

Daniel Annan
August 13th, 2007, 10:45 AM
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/publiclands.asp look under public hunting land, St Marys - Elms, Prince George's - Aquasco farm and Nottingham then Charles County - Chicamuxen and Nanjemoy. All these areas are in the southern region and offer some good deer hunting. Cedarville offers some good hunting, do your home work and you will be rewarded. All these areas have some pressure and all these areas are close to lodging and the rates are average. Check these areas out and I believe you will not be disappointed .

This is our gun season.Deer Harvested With a Bow During Muzzleloader or Firearms Season
Deer harvested with a bow during the antlerless-only second split of the early muzzleloader season in Region B must count towards the bow bag limit. Deer harvested with a bow during the first-split either-sex early muzzleloader or late muzzleloader season must count towards the muzzleloader season bag limit. Hunters must have a Muzzleloader Stamp to hunt deer with a bow during the first-split either-sex early muzzleloader or late muzzleloader season. Deer harvested with a bow during the 2-week firearms or 2-day late firearms season must count towards the firearms bag limit.

Rye77
August 13th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Man, you guys have one heckuva set rules up there! I've read up on many of the places via the DNR already. Though, there isn't much info beyond the fact that hunting is permitted during legal seasons. I've mailed off to get some of the topo/trail guide maps for the state parks/forrest. I'll use google earth in conjunction to try and locate good possible areas.

Thanks for the info though. It sounds about like anywhere, no one place is better than another. I am relieved to not hear " That place is over hunted and void of all deer!" though.. that is a bonus.

Rye77
August 14th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Btt

Rye77
August 16th, 2007, 04:16 AM
up one more time.

oldbhtrnewequip
August 16th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Central maryland is overloaded with does, and we have some decent bucks too.

If you're looking to fill your freezer, and there is any way to take your vacation in the last 2 weeks of september vs. december, I'd strongly advise that you do it.

Get yourself a thermocell and find yourself a butcher because it'll be a lot cheaper in the long run than keeping the deer cooled off yourself (unless you have a freezer and generator). Keep in mind that even in december we still can have some very warm days, so sort this piece out even if you're still going to go in December.

Do not bother with Hugg Thomas. It is hunted out. (and no I'm not saying that just because I don't want you there....wanna waste your time...have at it. There are deer all over the place in the surrounding area, but the deer have learned to steer clear of there).

Mckee Besher I've heard lots of good things about. Liberty and Pretty boy are packed with both deer and hunters.

Last year was the first year that soldiers delight was opened up, and it hadn't been hunted for years.

Pay attention to the archery only spots, and if you do hunt in december, they'll be your best bets. Everything IS spooked up after firearms. The big boys go nocturnal (pretty much) after early muzzleloader, from what I've seen.

Hint hint....baltimore county has the highest harvest rate year in year out.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/wmacentral.asp

Any specific questions that I might be able to answer..give me a pm.

Best of luck and skills :)

oldbhtrnewequip
August 16th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Though, there isn't much info beyond the fact that hunting is permitted during legal seasons. I've mailed off to get some of the topo/trail guide maps for the state parks/forrest. I'll use google earth in conjunction to try and locate good possible areas.

Thanks for the info though. It sounds about like anywhere, no one place is better than another. I am relieved to not hear " That place is over hunted and void of all deer!" though.. that is a bonus.

Oh yeah we DO have a lot of rules here...so please be sure to read your license booklet cover to cover...and no I'm not kidding.

You just haven't been looking in the right places to find information about where to hunt in MD.

Go to this site
Bookmark it, or better yet make it your home page for a bit until you get all the informatio you want.

Make sure to find out if the places you want to hunt require a managed hunt permit or not. If you get one, it covers all MHP areas statewide this year, vs. having to get one for each area you want to hunt. It IS getting more simple.

Oh yeah...lots of these places that you might want to hunt may require that you qualify with your weapon. I'm sure you'd have no problems...unless you decided not to and showed up expecting to hunt without one ;)

If that turns you off, there are plenty of locations to hunt where you don't have to qualify.

Lots of place are run by lottery. You can apply for multiple places for the same times..and then move from location to location based on the lotteries that you hit.

Again...best of luck,

Pete

IDriveB5
August 16th, 2007, 07:18 AM
McKee's gets pretty slammed with people. A lot(most) of the public land in MD gets pretty busy. You might take a look at the Managed Hunt areas.

oldbhtrnewequip
August 16th, 2007, 07:44 AM
oh yeah urls.....

home page this
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/index.asp

mha's, wma's, and cwma's for central md are here

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/allwmabyregion.asp

BDHUNTR
August 16th, 2007, 08:19 AM
PM sent.

Rye77
August 16th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Pete and BDHuntr,

Thank you for the information. You've given me quite a bit to look at and consider. I've eaten up the Maryland DNR sites and maps of the parks and wma's. I'll have to make up a lon glist of them all in the southern area and mark them off as I learn they are hunted out. I figured the deer would be scetchy in Dec after the fire arms season. Just looking to fill the freezer and get a look at some new ground.
I'll have to live with that license book for a bit to learn it all. I feel a few phone calls to the DNR are in order as well.
Thanks again for the help.

rye

Tracker12
August 16th, 2007, 07:50 PM
MD is a great State to hunt with plenty of deer. The Eastern shore has opended up a bunch of public land this year and most is loaded with deer. From NC you may want to come up thru Vorginia Beach and come across the Bay Bridge Tunnel. For quality and quantity you can not beat Southern, M. They killed the new State NoN tipical last year. Some of the best places though are Balt/PG and Montgomery County which has soome archery only that is worth while. Good luck.

oldbhtrnewequip
August 16th, 2007, 09:16 PM
MD is a great State to hunt with plenty of deer. The Eastern shore has opended up a bunch of public land this year and most is loaded with deer. From NC you may want to come up thru Vorginia Beach and come across the Bay Bridge Tunnel. For quality and quantity you can not beat Southern, M. They killed the new State NoN tipical last year. Some of the best places though are Balt/PG and Montgomery County which has soome archery only that is worth while. Good luck.

No kidding...I've heard wye island can be really good. Fishing bay is a drop dead gorgeous place to be. I've leased farms on the shore for 20 some years. Big deer over there comparatively speaking to what's on the west side...central and south in my opinion.

FINALLY...less then a month out.

IGluIt4U
August 16th, 2007, 10:05 PM
We do have a lot of regs here, but.. in a nutshell, you can bowhunt all season, you need to wear orange during most firearms/muzzleloader seasons, and may need a ML stamp to bowhunt then.. not positive.. I usually get one anyway so I can go out with the ol smokepole.. :wink: :D Oh, and they added a long antlerless early ML season this year too.. :thumb: :whoo: :uzi:

Wye Island is a good hunt, but you must apply by permit, don't know if that is still open... and there are lots of public lands on the lower eastern shore as well.. :thumb:

oldbhtrnewequip
August 17th, 2007, 06:47 AM
may need a ML stamp to bowhunt then.. not positive.

I'm pretty positive you do ;)

muzzy90
August 17th, 2007, 06:53 AM
correct a ML stamp is needed as well as a bow stamp

BDHUNTR
August 17th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I'm pretty positive you do ;)

You need the BP stamp to hunt the early 3-day season, but not the following week of antlerless BP season.

IGluIt4U
August 17th, 2007, 08:45 AM
You need the BP stamp to hunt the early 3-day season, but not the following week of antlerless BP season.

Thanks BD.. I hadn't checked the regs carefully, but I knew it was kinda screwy... :lol: For the cost of a stamp, I get one every year... :wink:

BDHUNTR
August 17th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks BD.. I hadn't checked the regs carefully, but I knew it was kinda screwy... :lol: For the cost of a stamp, I get one every year... :wink:

I get one, too, as I will hunt the early 3-day season with my muzzleloader, but hunt the week-long season with the bow. That way I get to hunt with my dad. 75 and still climbin' trees! :D

USNbowhunter
August 17th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I have killed a few turkeys in Cederville and saw lots of buck sign. The only draw back is you will have to do some serious walking to get where the deer are.

oldbhtrnewequip
August 17th, 2007, 04:04 PM

BD...you may well be right. I'm pretty sure that's the way it was last year.

But....
I'm looking at page 16 bottom left side of the guide.
(and top of page 29)

"Muzzleloader stamp
Required to hunt deer during muzzlerload season with valid hunting license. This includes bowhunters that hunt with vertical bows and crossbows during the muzzleloader season."

My interpretation
...early or late muzzleloader...better have the stamp.

I'll keep reading :)

oldbhtrnewequip
August 17th, 2007, 04:23 PM
BD

So it appears that you have to have a BP stamp to hunt any of BP only season with a bow. That'd be 10/18-20 and 12/15-29.
The antlerless BP 10/22-27 season runs concurrent with bow, so you're right,
you wouldn't need a license for the week after BP antlered.

If you think I've got it wrong please straighten me out. Wouldn't want the DNR tagging me :)