PDA

View Full Version : Missouri deer hunters

CR_Switchback
August 13th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Any bowhunters hunt any of these county's in Missouri? Saline, Chariton, Miller or Crawford? Im trying to narrow my hunting area down to these counties. Any info or past experiences would be great.

dsf81
August 14th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I have hunted many counties in missouri, but never any of those. I have hunted callaway, boone, howard, cooper, macon, Randolph, Audrain. Sorry I can't help you with the ones you have listed. My advice though would be to pick the county that is furthest to the north. As a general rule for Missouri the northern counties have bigger deer (not always the case, but a good starting point)

semobow
August 15th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Never hunted crawford county but a friend has in the past. You need to do your homework and scout quite a bit to find where the deer are, lots of oak forest in crawford county. This year is gonna be wierd as there will be no acorns.

dsf81
August 15th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I can't wait for this year. Maybe some of those big bucks will finally have to move more than 20 yards to browse for acorns. In years past a buck could have all he wants to eat within 20 yards and would HAVE to look for food. If we get real lucky the bad acorn crop may force more into the crop fields

DMaverick
August 15th, 2007, 03:31 PM
PM sent

timinkc
August 15th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I live in ray county, kinda close to the area you are lookin at... hunted in many of them... the late frost we got definitely is going to affect the hunting this year as many have already said... no acorns means more movement. One thing... as someone said (there are always exceptions) north seems to be better. Missouri is a kinda funny state in that the geography from the north part of the state to the south part of the state varies ALOT. Basically north of the Mo river is a more typical plains state ( but with forests), while the ozarks are to the south, and much worse soil, thus smaller deer , but the areas your looking at are all more plains ish. and any would be good i think... I shot a few deer in Chariton, and 1 in Saline county over the years.

CR_Switchback
August 15th, 2007, 04:21 PM
The articles that I have read that brought these counties to mind focused on the acorns. This seemed to be what you needed to find, aside from funnels and saddles in the more elavated areas.
Are there NO acorns? Or is just some trees not producing and others are? That will make a big difference in tactics for me.

PoisonSnake
August 15th, 2007, 04:47 PM
My red-oaks are loaded. Boone County.

dsf81
August 15th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Aside from the freeze, This year in Missouri, the rains have been so hit and miss. It has been a really weird year here. I think that acorn production will be off and on from property to property. The other day here in Boone County we got around .25 inches at my house and 4 miles up the road at the farm that I hunt we got nothing but a sprinkle.

DMaverick
August 15th, 2007, 07:10 PM
They will be scattered a bit. WE had a very late hard freeze this year, that messed up a lot of fruit producing trees. We typically see hundreds of acorns on a group of our white oaks, and this year, they are completely empty. If you can find some whites or reds dropping, that will definitely be the place to set up.

onetohunt
August 15th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I agree, the late freeze hit it very hard. I hunt in Chariton quite abit. The white oaks there have very little if any acorns. The bright side to that part of the country is the row crop. With very little acorns the deer will be moving a lot more going and coming from the crops. Depending on the time of year that the harvest comes out and the time you are going to be there, it could be a blast.