PDA

View Full Version : Canada Walleye!! HELP!!

301fps
August 16th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I'm finally getting up to my Cabin in Canada at the end of the month....can anyone tell me a great Walleye set up and lure selection for this time of the year...the water is extremely clear...we actually drink it! (Gotta love Canada) I have the smallmouth covered...slay them on tubes every year, but this year I want to try some Walleye fishing...but being that I am a bass fisherman I need some help!!! Thanks in advance!

camotoe
August 16th, 2007, 07:38 PM
are you trolling? casting from shore? drift fishing? what? If you're casting, I've had great success with beetle spins...a grub body on a jig head following a spinner. These are killer when they're white, purple or green. I've taken a bunch using Mepp's minnows, too. If you're trolling, I think an Erie Dearie is your best bet. Do you know what they are? They're popular around Western basin of Lake Erie. Good luck

camotoe
August 16th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Hey...I just read your profile and see you're from Newark. Why go all the way to Canada when you could spend your time fishing in Buckeye Lake? Water there is just as clear!

301fps
August 16th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Dude that is funny! I could walk across the deepest part of Buckeye Lake right now! My family owns a cabin in Ontario....love to get up there. To answer your other question...I will be mostly casting from a boat...not trolling. I will take a look and see what I can find in those beetle spins. Thanks for the tips! What part of toen are you from?

hoyt08
August 16th, 2007, 08:15 PM
From what i hear a Chartruce or pink jighead with a minnow works very well.

301fps
August 16th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I will check those out too....I am writing all of this down! LOL.....my father has been up there all summer and not caught a single Walleye....I wanna get up there and show the old man how it is done!! LOL!!

hammer head
August 16th, 2007, 09:40 PM
find a weed bed an drift over it .helps if the water is a little chopy.we use to use mister twister crubs with lead heads an crank baits. this time of year they might be in deeper water

camotoe
August 17th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I live in Grandview (10 minutes west of downtown Columbus)

Davik
August 17th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Be careful drinking the water...I used to live up there, and carried a cup instead of a heavy water bottle, drank out of every lake, stream and puddle with no fears...until one elk season, I drank from a little clear, fast running stream...two months later, I thought I had the flu...no big deal...when everyone had given me up for dead, including my doctor, (I had lost 70 pounds,and was failing fast) he said to me one day "You know, it's as if you had drunk some bad water or something" The light went on, I was tested for Giardia, and boom...within a month, I was healthy again...sort of. Clear, cold water isn't always an indication of clean...oh yeah, this time of year in clear water, use a jig head with rootbeer or black leech imitations...maybe with a little silver spinner blade above the presentation...mmmmm shorelunch...

doctariAFC
August 17th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I'm finally getting up to my Cabin in Canada at the end of the month....can anyone tell me a great Walleye set up and lure selection for this time of the year...the water is extremely clear...we actually drink it! (Gotta love Canada) I have the smallmouth covered...slay them on tubes every year, but this year I want to try some Walleye fishing...but being that I am a bass fisherman I need some help!!! Thanks in advance!

Good advice given thus far. Erie Dearies work great. Worm harness drifted or trolled is also good. Tough to beat a lingy rigged crawler or leech, too, drifted across rocky humps and drops.

1/4 oz lead jighead in chartreuse, yellow, black, white, orange, or green with a minnow dressed on it is deadly and is easily vertical jigged, or cast out a bit and hop along bottom. Hook point goes through and out one side of the gills, push the mouth of the minnow right up to the base of the head, then turn the hook and insert into the belly.

Another great lure is the 1/2 oz Silver Buddy. Although I hear the Silver Buddy company is no longer, as the owner died. FUBAR. Cicada blade baits also work, as will Vibe-Es, but they're not the Silver Buddy.

Took a dozen "buddies" up to lake of the woods a few years back, and passed them out to the other guys I was fishing with one day in this cove, which had 4 other boats from our camp fishing there as well. We hammered the walleye, while the guys working jibs and minnows got very little action. At one point, one of the guys fishing with me said (after landing his 10th walleye in a row - 10 casts, 10 fish) "I feel like I'm in a Banjo Minnow commercial!" Just vertical jig it off the bottom, or cast it out, let it hit bottom, and then hop it back.

301fps
August 17th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks guys for all the advise....I will be headed to my local outdoor shop next weekend...gonna give all of these ideas a whirl! I have one last question...what kind of line do you guys recommend? I have about 15 outfits...from spinning to baitcasting....from my bass tournament days...what would you guys recommend??

camotoe
August 20th, 2007, 10:01 AM
If I'm trolling through tough stumps and brush, I use a baitcasting reel with 17 lb. test. I also use a steel leader if there's any chance of hitting a big pike or muskie. If I'm casting, I usually use an open face spinning reel with 6 or 8 lb. test.

cmherrmann
August 21st, 2007, 03:11 PM
Get some Gulp Alive Leeches they come in a tub filled with liquid. The leeches are a great walleye bait and the minnows to. Fish them on a jig or Lindy rig.

ASeriousHunter
August 23rd, 2007, 11:31 AM
Live leeches work well casting on a jig head. Use fluorocarbon line, it makes a BIG difference in really clear water. Regular blue line flouresces and they can see it if you are not in low light. Learned that the hard way in small clear trout streams.

301fps
August 23rd, 2007, 07:17 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the input...I'm going to get a little of all of these suggestions and see what works. I only have 4 days on the lake this year and some of that will be spent killing the smallies, but I am going to try and dedicate 2 full days to the 'eyes'....thanks again and if I get something I will post ome pics and what lures I used so that you guys can do a little braggin! ;)

saranac1973
August 23rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
Dude that is funny! I could walk across the deepest part of Buckeye Lake right now! My family owns a cabin in Ontario....love to get up there. To answer your other question...I will be mostly casting from a boat...not trolling. I will take a look and see what I can find in those beetle spins. Thanks for the tips! What part of toen are you from?

Rapala DT series. Awesome lure. They have diffrent selections for the depth of water you are fishing in. For example a DT 10 will dive to 10 feet and reel in from that depth. Also Walleye assassins - Sweet Pea 4-inch Turbo Walleye Assassins . Awesome clear water bait. .Bring a selection . We also used leaches on lake Ontario this year. Had real good luck with them. :darkbeer:

doctariAFC
August 24th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys for all the advise....I will be headed to my local outdoor shop next weekend...gonna give all of these ideas a whirl! I have one last question...what kind of line do you guys recommend? I have about 15 outfits...from spinning to baitcasting....from my bass tournament days...what would you guys recommend??

Jigging. Go spinning and 8-10lb test
Ditto for drifting

Casting or trolling, step up to 15lb test and use a baitcaster rig or a level wind trolling outfit. Since you're not running a lot of depth control hardware, you shouldn't need line counter reels, no stretch line, altough fluorocarbon leaders can help you out.