PDA

View Full Version : Any Northern Pike Anglers?

pegasis0066
August 24th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Maybe a repost, but I hadn't seen it - gotta love Northerns.

According to the story I read:

If the weight holds up it would be a new world record pike. It says 56 lbs., the old record was in Germany, 55 lbs. 1 oz. Caught on a river in Canada (this looks like the Detroit River near Boblo Island) 55lbs 56inches the pike it's eating is 36inches. It grabbed a 36" pike- look at the pictures- you'll be amazed!! The 55lbs pike was never hooked, it would not let go of the 36inch pike

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb257/pegasis0066/NP.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb257/pegasis0066/NP1.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb257/pegasis0066/NP2.jpg

archerykid12
August 24th, 2007, 02:27 PM
yep this is an older pic ive saw it a few times but it still amazes at how big that thing is

doctariAFC
August 24th, 2007, 04:56 PM
No doubt. Massive predator.

I like pike. Heck, I love fishing for anything that swims......

McCann
August 25th, 2007, 08:26 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!! That beats the little 30"ers I have pulled out of the lake at work!

Marc

SilentElk
August 27th, 2007, 02:56 AM
That thing is huge!

I know I have that last picture of it biting the 'smaller' pike saved on my PC from a few years ago. Havent seen the others before.

Sandilands
September 28th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Sorry it took me so long to reply but I've been off the net for awhile.
The fish in the top was caught last fall in northwestern ontario, Rainy river if my memory serves me correct:eek:......... and yes it is huge.
Sorry to burst your bubble but the last pic is old....... its not the same fish in the first picture. The fish being eaten is not in the 30" class but in what I call the snot rocket class...... maybe 20".
And that big'un is although huge is still not the biggest caught....... I won't tell you what lake but about 8yrs ago a commercial fishermen caught a northern that was 72" long. Too bad he canned it B4 it could be scored officially........ caught in MB

Unassuming
October 1st, 2007, 06:43 PM
That pike is from Europe, it made its way around the internet with numerous claimed places it was caught in the US, Rainey being the main one, but it is from Europe...

KDS
October 1st, 2007, 06:59 PM
I love pike fishing and I'd give my left one to catch any of the pike posted!!!!!!!!!!!! My best is only 28.5":cry:

INHUNTER
October 2nd, 2007, 01:45 AM
I've seen this picture posted all over the internet. There is much debate on where it was actually caught, but the majority of the responce is that it was caught somewhere in Europe.

My best was actually within the last month in WI. I caught a 33" 8lb pike on 8lb monofiliment with no liter, while walleye fishing. Now that was excitement!!

Unassuming
October 4th, 2007, 02:15 AM
What is funny is that the picture of the pike with the little pike in it's mouth was a totally different photo from the 56 inch pike...over the past year or so they have now combined to be one story and the same fish via the internet....freakin classic...

SmrtWntCrzy
November 1st, 2007, 12:37 AM
My best pike was also one of my worst fishing experiences.I mostly fish from a kayak, and I was out around dusk when I tied into one that was about 15 pounds.Usually when I'm out, my tackle box sits between my legs and was lazy that night so I'd left it open.Anyway the pike didn't put up much fight but when I got it next to the kayak with the pliers in hand it decided to freak out.It launched itself out of the water and into my freaking lap.Then it decided to thrash around embedding the trebles on the lure into my thigh as well as knocking my tacklebox into my other thigh sticking me with about three other lures.I finally got it off and hucked it back in the river and then removed the eight odd hooks from my leg.At that point I had to call it a night and paddle back to the cottage where the only thing to clean the gashes was hand sanitizer.Still love fishing pike though. :D

Punch_Free4L
December 26th, 2007, 09:22 PM

The Yankee
December 26th, 2007, 09:47 PM
My best Pike is on my wall right now. :) It was 44-1/2 inches long and went 24 pounds. I caught it on 10lb test line. I would have loved to have hooked into that fish in the picture, but not on 10lb line!!! :grin: I gotta get me one of those digital cameras so I can take a picture of it and put it on here.

Airhead
December 27th, 2007, 10:18 PM
That pike is from Europe, it made its way around the internet with numerous claimed places it was caught in the US, Rainey being the main one, but it is from Europe...

What is funny is that the picture of the pike with the little pike in it's mouth was a totally different photo from the 56 inch pike...over the past year or so they have now combined to be one story and the same fish via the internet....freakin classic...

Both of these statements are correct.

The Yankee
December 28th, 2007, 08:57 PM
First two picks are from Germany.
The third pic was taken on Frazer Lk in North western Ontario Canada in 1976.The smaller pike hit on a small smelt and weighed 3lbs the bigger pike was 22lb 4ozs.I know this fella who took the pic from another forum.

It looks like the pike is huge in that picture that has chomped on the smaller pike. It just goes to show you how pictures can be used to make people see things that are not really the real life size of them. :)

ratliffc
January 1st, 2008, 08:19 PM
I saw a bigger pike, at least for around here, prolly 10 pounds or so down my ice hole this morning. He was in 3 feet of clear water crused in kinda scared me cuz my face was 3 inches from the ice hole spot fishing gills and crappies when he came in at 100 mph. He missed it the first pass, but connected on the next. That was about all i had on my little ice micro with 4lb test. It was fun for a few seconds.

The Yankee
January 2nd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Yea it is a riot when they swoop in when you are fishing shallow water. It used to make my heart jump up in my throat!! :eek: I don't think the ice is safe yet on the local lakes but we are getting a cold spell for a few days here. Just maybe this weekend there might be safe ice.

swampyankee
January 3rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
we go for them when we ice fish. We have them up to 4.5 ft in a few ponds and 3.5 in some rivers. good fight

fingershot16
January 3rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
I love fishing for northerns! There isnt a ton of them around here in Illinois but my personal best is a 43" caught while fishing for largemouth. Went up to the madison area last week to ice fish and try out my new fish tv camera, i dropped it down the hole and the first fish i see once i reach the bottom is a big ol' northern! It freaked me out a little bit.

lampasashunter
January 3rd, 2008, 10:20 PM
I caught this 48 incher and my fishing buddy that day caught a 45 incher. We also caught a 41 and 40. We caught tons of 30+ inchers. It was an awesome day. I must say though that the walleyes were much better eating than the pike. Yes, we threw back everything over 30 inches.

That first haus would have eaten my fish!!! That is one amazing fish.

http://ronsullivancpa.fileave.com/Folder%20Name/Rons48InchPike.JPG

lampasashunter
January 3rd, 2008, 10:30 PM
My buddy's 45 incher. Like I said...that was one fun day.

http://ronsullivancpa.fileave.com/Folder%20Name/Kens45InchPikeCompressed.jpg

The Yankee
January 4th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Those are a couple of nice Pike there, nothing to sneeze at at all. :)