PDA

View Full Version : Aligator Warning (Louisiana)

RebelYell
August 30th, 2007, 02:59 AM
Wildlife Advisory

The Louisiana Department of Wildlife And Fisheries is advising hikers, hunters, fishermen, golfers and tourist in general to take extra precautions and keep alert for alligators while in or near local waters

They advise people to wear noise-producing devices such as little bells on their shoes or clothing to alert but not startle the alligators unexpectedly. They also advise the carrying of pepper spray in case of an encounter with an alligator.

It is also a good idea to watch for fresh signs of alligator activity. People should learn to recognize the difference between small young alligator and large adult alligator droppings.

Young alligator droppings are smaller and contain fish bones and possibly bird feathers. Adult alligator droppings have little bells in them and smell like pepper spray.

obsessedLSS
August 30th, 2007, 10:50 AM
:D:D:D:icon_1_lol:

Hook Em
August 30th, 2007, 10:54 AM
:ROFLMAO: very nice :thumbs_up

Yellowfin
August 30th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Warning most hunters I know about alligators is like warning Wayne Gretzky about ice skates.

semobow
August 30th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Heard that before but it was about bears!!!:D

foxtail
January 1st, 2008, 10:58 PM
We were fishing on a bayou just outside Morgan City one day when this gator about 16 foot long jumped off of the bank and left his bubble trail all the way to the underside of our boat. Stopped underneath.

My friend Dave reached back with one hand and pulled the cord while holding the throttle with the other.

He got it to go on one pull and just about stood that boat on its end.

Sandy couldn't understand why we would not let her bring her poodle with us when we fished.

BTW, it really WAS 16 foot.

eaholmes1325
January 10th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Never heard of an alligator reaching anywhere near 16ft

Floridarcher
January 19th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I've heard of alligators near 16 feet.
Few years back my uncle was in his 14 ft. jon boat and one about 2 ft. longer than the boat pulled up right next to him.

kemosabi
January 19th, 2008, 04:14 PM
i live not far from several swamps and water ways w/gators in them.they w/eat your pet dog if they get close to allow it,but we fish near them all the time also crab near them in the refuge w/no problems at all...If one threatens you ,you should be armed.We are a state that you can conceal/carry.Im sure you can take it from here,lol..Everyone should carry if you are allowed to....Its everyone right to protect themselves and family members as well as from Alligators in Louisiana..LOL......

Phoenix34
February 4th, 2008, 09:53 PM
good stuff right there

Tom@LAS
February 6th, 2008, 01:36 PM
:boink: