PDA

View Full Version : Have many wear a safety harness while in a ladder stand?

Bo Bob
August 30th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I'm coming clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! For the past few years I have gotten out of the habit of wearing my safety harness while in my climber.
I KNOW, S T U P I D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
My question is though. How many wear them in a ladder stand that has a railing around it?? I feel pretty safe in these and they aren't too likely to fall off the tree so I think I'm fine there. I know that I need one in my climber and I'm in the process of getting my self one (two little boys are depending on me).
Food for thought I guess.:wink:

Sorry for the screw up in the title, meant to say; How many...

jf69
August 30th, 2007, 02:06 PM
always! no matter what kind of stand

goatranch
August 30th, 2007, 02:07 PM
+ 1 Always!

rustyfence
August 30th, 2007, 02:12 PM
The only time I have ever fallen was while taking a ladder stand down! I wear a saftey harness from the time I leave the truck, until I am back in the truck! That is how paraniod I am now. School of Hard Knocks (falls) is the best teacher!:wink:

Bo Bob
August 30th, 2007, 02:23 PM
ttt

SilentSoul
August 30th, 2007, 02:28 PM

:set1_signs009:

Twisted0042
August 30th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I will always wear a safety harness!!!!!!!!!

D_Dubya
August 30th, 2007, 02:30 PM
I will not get off of the ground without a safety harness on. I have a broken bone in my back from where I fell out of a tree. People fall over railings all the time, and just one little slip or loss of balance could cause you to fall over or through the railing of your ladder stand. Just my .02 worth.

Hunter2005
August 30th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Always...

badbow148
August 30th, 2007, 02:34 PM
BoBob you said it you have two small ones to think about they are no.1 always where a safety harness off the ground PLEASE. Badbow

buckeyboy
August 30th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Honestly I have to come clean too, I usually always wear one but on a couple of occations got to my stand opend my pack and OH S#$## no harness, Si stupidly I convinced my self I would be extra careful and hunted anyway:redface:

papadye
August 30th, 2007, 02:41 PM
I have never worn one, :confused:

I should probly start before i end up in a wheel chair.

GoldenMonkey
August 30th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I wouldnt wear one in a ladder stand.

I just bought a harness to use this year for hanging my climbing sticks. ive never really used one in the past, maybe once or twice that I can remember. honestly I dont know anyone that actually uses one

but like I said I bought one and Im gonna give it a shot this season.

IGluIt4U
August 30th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Don't leave home without it.. I have seen too many hurt from a stand that they could not fall from... :noidea: :wink:

MoBOWhunter181
August 30th, 2007, 02:45 PM
i dont wear one in a 15 foot ladder stand, but always do in my lone wolf climber. You have to!

shootsadiamond
August 30th, 2007, 02:48 PM
there is no reason never ever not to - unless you have no one that you care about or cares about you and you would enjoy dying
I am very proud I finally convinced my dad to wear one after close to 50 years of never wearing one.
If I had to i would tell him I would quit hunting with him unless he did. he wears it and this year we have him set up to be strapped going up and down too.
Wear it and convince others to wear them.

goatranch
August 30th, 2007, 02:51 PM
i dont wear one in a 15 foot ladder stand, but always do in my lone wolf climber. You have to!

Trust me dude...you'll be just as hurt or dead at 15' as 8' or 30'.

outdoorattic
August 30th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I have a climber and I admit I don't wear one. I have one hanging in the garage. I know...I know...

Even if I did use one with my climber I know I wouldn't with a ladder stand or a lock-on with a rail. Now if I had kids it would be a different story. Guess I am thick headed.

JHolder
August 30th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I know some could care a less, but I faced reality last year. I was in my ladder stand, leaning over to pull up my back pack. Well, the ladder stand flipped up on 1 leg and here I went head first. Luckily, I stuck my arm out and caught enough of a limb to straighten out a little bit and hit on my side instead of my head. "Loaded" Muzzleloader stuck barrel first in the mud right beside my head. Hurt my hip so bad, I laid there for about 30-45 minutes trying to re-group and finally had to crawl out to my 4-wheeler. After a couple of weeks I was ok, but after thinking more about it, it was 6:30 am in the morning, no cell phone and my grandson is the only one who knows where the stand is. My wife would never have even begin to worry until at least an hour after dark. I too, thought it would never happen to me. It's amazing what all goes thru your mind when falling 18 feet. So please, put on your safety belts, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Dredly
August 30th, 2007, 02:57 PM
If my feet aren't on the ground then my arse is tied to the tree. I've fallen out of perfectly secured ladder stands, I've slid down trees in climbers and I've watched tree steps break. nothing is worth breaking a bone or a more serious injury

FearNot
August 30th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I always wear one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bo Bob
August 30th, 2007, 02:59 PM
These are the kinda responses I need to read. Thanks guys keep them coming.
I looking into the vest style that you put on. Like the HS Pro since it is vented and I hope to be using it for many years to come.
Looks like I better get my buddy VFT to order me one.

jarley77
August 30th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I have never worn one before, but I am trying to convince myself to wear one this year. Hey maybe it will bring some much needed luck!!

buckeyboy
August 30th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I have also fallen luckly I landed on my side and no rocks beneth me I was sore for weeks. weelchair or treechair its all up to us... No Im not preaching I have hunted without one but I admit it was pure stupidity:eek:

Dredly
August 30th, 2007, 03:08 PM
These are the kinda responses I need to read. Thanks guys keep them coming.
I looking into the vest style that you put on. Like the HS Pro since it is vented and I hope to be using it for many years to come.

To be honest I have no problems at all with the basic 5 point harness. I can't even tell I'm wearing it. I wear it over my underarmour shirt and under my outer layer shirt and over my pants. I've never had issues and I promise IT WILL WORK.

Twisted0042
August 30th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Well, my brother-in-law is one of those I don't need a harness guys. He's always doing roofing so I guess he just feels more comfortable up in the air than I. Well, last season he and I were putting up our ladder stand and as I was on the way back to the truck for a saw I heard a crash then a woooohoooooooo. He had lost his balance and jumped for the nearest tree. Thank goodness there was a suitable tree nearby to save his butt!!!!!!

HVAC/R Hunter
August 30th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I have never fallen, and I usually wear a safety harness. I have been better about it the past year or two, but hang around this board long enough and you will see more and more reasons of why you should wear one.

There are posts every year about people falling from the stands and injuring or killing themselves. I bet of the people that fell 75% of them felt safe in their stand up until the second before they started to fall.

Bo Bob
August 30th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I bet of the people that fell 75% of them felt safe in their stand up until the second before they started to fall.

Isn't that the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

TX Bowhunter
August 30th, 2007, 03:18 PM

I wear one always better safe than sorry.....I want ot see my little girl when I'm done hunting. They don't get in the way and they are so advanced to where they are so simple ot use that I feel you can't afford not to have one. :wink:

brian7.62
August 30th, 2007, 03:23 PM
I hunt ladder stands only and do not wear a harness. This mainly because the ones that came with my stands don't fit me. Do any of you know of a harness that will work for an XXL guy that doesn't cost more than the stand itself?

mrdux
August 30th, 2007, 03:25 PM
very leave home without it...

jcsanders79-xt
August 30th, 2007, 03:26 PM
How many of you actually wear the safety harness while climbing. I don't but its on the second I stop climbing. I also don't use a harness just a belt, I am thinking about one of those vests though.

KalamazooKid
August 30th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Honestly I have to come clean too, I usually always wear one but on a couple of occations got to my stand opend my pack and OH S#$## no harness, Si stupidly I convinced my self I would be extra careful and hunted anyway:redface:

I went home the one time this happened to me. ALWAYS wear one!

Edit, I saw your other post Bo Bob about the HSS and as comfortable as they are, there's absolutely no reason NOT to wear one. Please. To be honest (I know it's not a poll), I'm shocked at the number of people that don't wear one.

mjacobs576jq
August 30th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I wear a harness 100% of the time no matter what kind of stand, and I am strapped to the tree the moment I leave the ground (ie a lineman's harness) because you just never know...and with a wife a son at home, I aint goin' out like that.

Bushpilot
August 30th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I'm coming clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! For the past few years I have gotten out of the habit of wearing my safety harness while in my climber.
I KNOW, S T U P I D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
My question is though. How many wear them in a ladder stand that has a railing around it?? I feel pretty safe in these and they aren't too likely to fall off the tree so I think I'm fine there. I know that I need one in my climber and I'm in the process of getting my self one (two little boys are depending on me).
Food for thought I guess.:wink:

Sorry for the screw up in the title, meant to say; How many...

I wear a harness...and I just quit Smoking...AGAIN...(for the sake of my wife and 2 sons) And me of course.

Tax Lawyer
August 30th, 2007, 03:43 PM
+100 on the always answer.

ga_Game_hunter
August 30th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I'm one of those who always thought that a safety harness wasnt necessary. I'm happy to report I just bought a Hunter Safety System Pro Series Harness. So from now on count me in the always using it group!

kmansaber
August 30th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I always wear my harness unless I am in a box stand.

yoda4x4
August 30th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I'm sure I'll get flamed, but I don't wear one. And won't be anytime soon.

David

DannyB
August 30th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Haven't been wearing one. We have very secure stands. Half tripods and the rest ladders with railings. We thought it over a few weeks ago and decided to start using them just in case. Were also getting more of the kids coming up hunting. We stopped using the hang ons a few years back after a couple of friends had accidents.

getupatree
August 30th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I use them 100% of the time except in the tripod. I would be open to using my HSS in the tripod but I honestly don't see how. Anyone have suggestions?

NY911
August 30th, 2007, 05:59 PM
In my climber and hang ons, and in a ladder with no sissy bar - but not in the ladder with the front railing....

The X Moves
August 30th, 2007, 06:42 PM
No compromises here. Hunter Safety System.

One interesting thing that I discovered and maybe others will chime in on it too:

While attempting to place the tree belt at eye-level, in the freezing cold, in 15 mph+ winds, in just an average sized tree with the darn thing swaying -- I thought to myself, "Self, the most likely time that you are going to fall out of this stand is right NOW!!" while I'm fumbling with the strap with freezing fingers.

The following season, while it was still nice out, I got a giant eye-bolt, measured and predrilled a hole in the tree and screwed that eye-bolt in. Had to use a vise-wrench to turn it in the last 8 or so turns. That thing is in there so deep and tight that you could pull the tree down with a chain on it.

Come hunting time, I bought a heavy duty Carbiner (? spelling) and attached it to my strap. I scamper up the ladder, with one quick, easy motion -- cha-chunk -- I'm locked and loaded, safe from a lethal fall. (Not safe from a nut-crunching, embarassing fall, so I'm still careful.) But no more screwing around placing the tree strap on. And yes, I've put an eye-bolt in every tree stand that I hunt in.

And no, they haven't loosened one bit. If anything, they are even MORE wedged into the tree. A little electrical tape around the metal of the Carbiner and it's quiet as a mouse. Safe hunting all.

Punch_Free4L
August 30th, 2007, 06:43 PM

yup.

oliverstacy
August 30th, 2007, 06:58 PM
ALWAYS!!!! NO EXCUSES :thumbs_up

I have a very close friend that 11 years ago this fall fell and broke his back and now is in a wheel chair. Never...ever...ever...ever, did I mention EVER go up without one.

When hanging a stand use a lineman style harness, I bought one several years back and while hanging a stand last fall I grabed a dead branch and it saved my butt since the branch gave way.

Please always where a safety system of some sort...if not for yourself do it for your kids, wife, hech you mother. Where one period.

My friend would give anything to have that day back.

Josh

jnwaco
August 30th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I'm so clumsy I wear one while I'm in a ground blind.

deer dude
August 30th, 2007, 07:27 PM
dont matter what kind of stand it is ,i strap myself in.i have enough aches and pains as it is without adding more to them.

kevin from ohio
August 30th, 2007, 07:46 PM
i don't wear one. don't plan on wearing one anytime soon.

corpsemaker
August 30th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I wear a HSS every time. Love the kids too much to risk a serious injury.

oliverstacy
August 30th, 2007, 08:47 PM
i don't wear one. don't plan on wearing one anytime soon.

Well the guy I know and consider a 2nd dad is now in a wheel chair and he got that way from a fall. Your decision to wear one is yours and if you fall and end up the same way you will have to live with that.

My friend never used one growing up and only stated using one when his daughters started hunting and he didn't want to make them wear one and he not do the same thing. Well one day he forgot it and said what's the big deal never wore one in the past...that was the last day he walked. :pukey:

I will as long as I live never forget that call...still to this day as soon as I get in the tree the first and last thing I do is strap on with a full body harness.

If you saw the way he has to live his like with bowel movements and catheters to urinate you might think differently. He hunts from a truck now and has taken a bunch of deer since but he misses many things in life, duck hunting, pheasant hunting and WALKING!!!!!

So you have he freedom to do as you please but if you fall there is a chance you’ll get luck and walk away. But there is a larger chance you’ll hit a knob on an exposed tree root like my friend did and never stand upright again. I have hunted a lot with him and loaded him up in the morning to go and unloaded him at night and any other time we go somewhere. He is one of the greatest people I have and will ever meet and would never want anyone to go through the same thing he goes through.

Josh

oliverstacy
August 30th, 2007, 08:50 PM
We own a large farm and anyone that hunts on our farm is required to wear one...no exceptions. If we see a person that isn't wearing one they don't get to hunt our land again.

Josh

Sneaky Apasum
August 30th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I didn't last year, but I was only about 6 feet in the air in a mesquite tree. If you know mesquites, then you know that you'd rather hit the ground that swing around hitting branches.

And don't ask why I was in a mesquite.

Orion1
August 30th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I always wear a HSS harness, I have tons of straps that come with stands and have one in every tree, just clip on with a caribeaner, and I am good to go. I have not figured out how to climb safely attached to the tree. I am giving that some hard thought, looked at prusit knots online. I like the huge eye bolt idea with some good climbing ropes it may work out great. I work as a manager of a center that works with people that have suffered Truamtic Brain injuries. Scary stuff, one careless second can change your life and the lives of the people that love and depend on you forever. I see it every day.

bcb
August 30th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I wear one every time, period. I am a safety professional in the engineering/construction industry and I can't tell you how many times someone falls from what seemed like an insignificant height and ended up either dead, paralyzed, or with broken bones. There are a heck of a lot of guys out there that have erected steel 50 hours a week for 20+ years that never had a problem, until it happened one day. Not worth the risk. If I want to gamble, I am going to Vegas.

rthrbhntg
August 30th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Got the HHS vest last year - safe and extra pockets. We strap in to every tree we climb once we are in. Looking to get some prusik ropes for my stands with screw in steps and strap on steps for the climb up and down. Not sure yet if getting them for my ladder stands. I do strap in on ladder stands though.

gman57
August 30th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Well I felt safe in my stands before I took a 22' fall in 2001, I have no recollection of what happened just came to on the ground several hrs later. Iwas alone upstate and finally got back to cabin hurting like hell,torn up,bleeding. When I got home the next day saw Dr. I had a fractured Pelvis, and fractured wrist. I already had several herniated discs and have had surgery for this. I immediately bought the HSS safety system and its great , no hassle to use, and has plenty of convient pockets for gear.I always wear it off the ground. 2 weeks ago stupid me topping a tree at home had the ladder kicked out from under me by a heavy branch and I came down on my head! My head was opened to the skull about 6" and came near to bleeding out in the E.R. ,,(I thought I was safe on the Ladder) I get stitches out tommorow and hope to be able to shoot my bow in about 2 weeks...... Its just plain STUPID to not wear a harness if not for yourself then for your loved ones... Safe huntin guys and girls.

Pappy
August 30th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I usually use climbers and a few hangons. For the hangons I use a linemans like rig to hang the stands and attach my sticks. Then I attach a rope with a prusic knot on it to the tree above my stand. I use this when climbing up and down my sticks, just slide the knot up or down. Just a longer version of the line that came with my SOP. For my climbers, I attach my SOP rope to the tree before I start to climb and slide it up the tree as I climb. Reverse the procedure comming down. Takes only a few seconds longer to climb that way, but after falling from a climber as I was climbing down, I'll spend the few extra seconds. On ladder stands I always use my SOP after I've climbed into the stand. I'm thinking of using the same setup for my new ladder stand that I use for my hang ons.

My SOP is easy to use and don't even know its there. I wear it over my shirt and under my jacket. Fairly easy to put on your jacket while 18' up while still attached to the tree too:thumbs_up

redruff
August 30th, 2007, 11:15 PM
We build monster permanent platforms stands..big enough to have barn dance.
We ALWAYS leave one of the post high enough to run an eye bolt through to clip a harness into.
So needless to say wear one 24/7.

In my chain on's I put 1 inch climbing webbing around the tree long enough to reach the ladder. I tie a loop in it there and a second loop in the middle to clip into when sitting on the stand. This way I clip into the webbing before getting off the ladder, then reclip up higher when I get to the platform.

A lot of falls happen between the ladder and the stand.

bows-n-guns
August 30th, 2007, 11:31 PM
I have a two man ladder stand, no I dont hunt with buddy, just like the room. Yes I do wear a safety harness, be safe then sorry

kcamarata
August 30th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Always.

I'm wearing the one that came with the stand, but have been tempted to get a vest. Anyone using one? Is it easier to deal with?

txcookie
August 30th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I didn't last year, but I was only about 6 feet in the air in a mesquite tree. If you know mesquites, then you know that you'd rather hit the ground that swing around hitting branches.

And don't ask why I was in a mesquite.

Why in the hell were you in a mesquite, Sorry but I would dang near rather share a pit blind with a rattler:wink:

agrmsu693
August 31st, 2007, 12:01 AM
I ALWAYS wear mine. Heard too many stories about guys falling and being hurt for life and dying. I would rather be safe than sorry

Ziman
August 31st, 2007, 12:34 AM
I always wear a safty harness, dont want to take the chance of falling out of any stand!

Ridley
August 31st, 2007, 12:39 AM
In a ladder stand? If I hung the stand? Heck no.

Tim4Trout
August 31st, 2007, 02:38 AM
One should use a safety harness whenever elevated, regardless of the type of stand used.

When you develop such a routine, it becomes habitual which is beneficial to your safety.

Bo Bob
August 31st, 2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks for all the replies. The evidence says I need a vest.:wink: