PDA

View Full Version : Fawn distress call?

jim570
October 28th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Is there a call made that will produce a fawn distress call. Just bought a Truetalker. I have the A-way and a couple of others.

doughboyracing
October 28th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Doesn't Primos make one?

the-ghost
October 28th, 2007, 11:22 AM
sure, lot of doe bleats can be adjusted to give a fawn distress call by sliding the rubber band to make the pitch higher. works real well calling in does in the early season. the one i have is a quaker boy doe bleat.

jim570
October 28th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Doesn't Primos make one?

Don't know if they do. I have heard good things about the Buck Roar and will probably be getting that soon.

Bowhunting is fairly new to me. I have a 13 year old son that lives four hours from me and doesn't get to hunt with me as often as he would like. He has never gotten a deer. I thought a fawn distress call would at least put a doe in front of him.

RecordKeeper
October 28th, 2007, 11:27 AM
The fawn distress calls I've used work great! But typically you'll see a very alert doe or a curious buck...who is wondering how the fawn got up into your tree.

jim570
October 28th, 2007, 11:28 AM
sure, lot of doe bleats can be adjusted to give a fawn distress call by sliding the rubber band to make the pitch higher. works real well calling in does in the early season. the one i have is a quaker boy doe bleat.

Will a fawn distress call work at this time of year?

jim570
October 28th, 2007, 11:30 AM
The fawn distress calls I've used work great! But typically you'll see a very alert doe or a curious buck...who is wondering how the fawn got up into your tree.

I would put my boy between me and where I expect the deer to come from. Hopefully, he would get a shot as they move by him.

RecordKeeper
October 28th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I would put my boy between me and where I expect the deer to come from. Hopefully, he would get a shot as they move by him.

Interesting strategy :thumb:

Let us know how it works out!

Whitefeather
October 28th, 2007, 11:35 AM

It usually works very well in the earliest part of the season. Now that most of the fawns are older I wouldn't think it would work too well. Give it a try and see.

JP

the-ghost
October 28th, 2007, 11:36 AM

ya it will work but you'll have to adjust the band, [if the new calls even use bands anymore. i havent bought any new calls in 15 or so years.] to make the sound a little deeper, like half way between fawn and doe bleat. as RK said they come in ears up looking right at ya sometimes snorting even when they don't see anything. you'll have to setup so you're boy will get a chance to shoot hehe.

jim570
October 28th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Last year was my son's first year to hunt, legally. He bowhunted with me six times. Couldn't make it for rifle season. Went three times in the after Christmas flintlock season. We saw zero, as in NO deer. This was about the second best county in Pa. for deer hunting. Things sure have changed!!

He is a diehard fisherman and hunter. I hope he has an opportunity for a shot this year.

He lives in the Philly burbs and his area is over run with deer. He has been going hunting with me since he was 10. Two years ago he contracted Lyme Disease. His treatment was completed just before deer season. It really kicked his butt. He was barely able to walk a couple of hundred yards into the woods. This is a boy who was in very good shape and plays soccer almost year round. He is fine, now.

I really need to put a deer in front of this kid.

Punch_Free4L
October 28th, 2007, 12:13 PM

:set1_rolf2:

elkkat
October 28th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Watch out, especially in the spring. Bears and Mountain Lions likey distressed fawns.:tongue: Best to have 2 people when doing this so someone can watch your back. :wink:

cordwood
October 28th, 2007, 01:47 PM
It usually works very well in the earliest part of the season. Now that most of the fawns are older I wouldn't think it would work too well. Give it a try and see.

JP

Give it up by this time of year...works absolutely awesome the first couple weeks of the season. Ive had does charge in from way off, run past my stand, hit it again and they run right to you. Ive also called does in that were working away from me...got them curious enough to come in and eat an arrow. This time of year the fawn call will spook them away...dont even attempt it.

I have a little tube call that works great...ive had it 10+years. Wish I knew where to get another just like it. But you can also try the 'lil can'. You could also try one of these
https://shop.primos.com/c-7-bleat-bawl.aspx

Primos makes the best deer sounds imo. I dont have one of these but if I ever lose the call I have, I'll order one of these.

And dont bother trying the grunt calls with 6 settings that can supposedly call in everything. Every grunt call that has a band you can adjust for doe calling sucks. Even the primos ones. Ive got the Truetalker after hearing so many good things about it, but Im not impressed so far...Primos Stillgrunter and Buck Roar are the 2 best buck grunters ive ever used. The little Stillgrunter is twice as loud as the truetalker and sounds just as good or better, but forget the doe bleat sounds on both those calls...they just dont sound right.

Dthbyhoyt
October 28th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Hands Free calls makes a good one , & Primos

BrowningYukon
October 28th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Primos makes the best deer sounds imo.
:set1_signs009:

Not only deer but ALL their calls~! Also make great DvDs:wink:

BRONZ
October 28th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I think mine is a Knight and Hale. Whiteweather is right, they seem to only work early season. Once the rut hits, you might as well pack it away for next year. I have called in several does, and have killed a couple, using a fawn-in-distress. I have also called in coyotes.

Dchiefransom
October 28th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Knight & Hale Double Reed Fawn Bleat