PDA

View Full Version : Archer's Choice Gators

Boonie_Hunter
December 19th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Did anyone watch it? I don't know if it was a re-run or not, but they were hunting gators. Has anyone on here hunted gators? mounts?

buck-n-nuts
December 19th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I just watched it to.Looked like fun to me.
Man did you see them trying to wrestle that thing into the boat,Sweet!

Boonie_Hunter
December 19th, 2007, 09:02 AM
that one was huge! did they ever say the length on it? I had to leave so i didn't watch the whole thing.

buck-n-nuts
December 19th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I thought they said 14ft.Whatever it was it was huge!

Boonie_Hunter
December 19th, 2007, 09:22 AM
about the same size as the boat!

ccoburn33
December 19th, 2007, 09:28 AM
but I used a hand harpoon instead of a bow. I went with a friend from Florida just last August and it was a blast. I didn't think it would be as heart thumping as it turned out to be. The first gator I came up on was over 11 feet long and I just watched it sink into the murky water. I didn't even attempt to harpoon it. I was intimidated to say the least, but when a prehistoric animal of that size is within mere feet of you and you are in an air boat in the dark it can be intimidating. We don't see too many of those things up here in Iowa! We had one slam the underside of the boat too the first night. I did get a 9.5 footer on the third and final night. I am having a head mount done and getting the hide tanned. I should be receiving from the taxidermist sometime late this coming spring.

When I go back this next August I will use a bow instead. My friend said it would just be easier the first time to harpoon a gator by hand. After doing it, I think it would be easier to shoot them with a bow. I guess I'll see.

bmhuntin
December 19th, 2007, 09:33 AM
This one was hooked first with a rod/reel but was shot with a bow to help seal the deal. He was 12 ft long and weighed 423 #'s.

Boonie_Hunter
December 19th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Anyone have gator mounts? Skulls?

bmhuntin
December 19th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I am planning on doing a couple of skulls from the smaller gators were killed, but the big boy is going to someone who knows what they are doing. I will send pictures when I get them done.

jcsanders79-xt
December 19th, 2007, 03:18 PM
My FL buddy wants me to come down and do a gator/pig hunt. I am thinking about it real hard. Those gator tags are cheap! What do you need to take one with a bow?