PDA

View Full Version : Kinetic Energy and FPS Questions

Checkmate
January 17th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I am posting this here, instead of the general archery forum, because after all the reading on AT, bowhunters seem more concerned with KE than target shooters. I am fairly new to archery and have yet to hunt, but next season I am going out even if I am on my deathbed. The questions I have came from today when I was testing my bow a bit more.

1.) I chronographed my bow, just 2 shots, (didn't want to waste the time of the shop attendant by getting a really good average FPS) but it came out 265/264 for an average of 264.5 FPS. Which I am not disappointed with. I am just wondering if I upped the draw weight to 70 pounds, what kind of increase could I expect to gain.

2.) The arrow I shot was 398 grains, giving me a total KE of 61.84. I plan on shooting 100 grain Slick Trick standards next season. Using a head that isn't cut on contact, should I be looking for more KE or is this plenty?

70 pounds is not uncomfortable for me to draw back, I have read and know that shot placement is the most important thing, and I am working on accuracy at least every other day. I am just wondering what others feel is "good enough" for humanely harvesting whitetails. Thanks for all the help in advance.:darkbeer:

Check

HVAC/R Hunter
January 17th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Are you drawing 60# now. General rule of thumb is 1 fps per pound of draw weight. so if you went from 60 to 70# then you could expect to see around 10 fps more. IMHO 61# of KE is plenty for your ST's

duda
January 17th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Speed will increase about 10 fps/5 lb draw wieght. 61 lbs is plenty of ke. A deer is considered medium game, they recomend 50- 65 lbs of ke for bear and moose. If I was you I would be happy with what you have. Don't worry about the math too much the most important thing is shoot placement.

EDIT: 1fps/1lb may by correct I don't remember.

horsefly115
January 17th, 2008, 07:11 PM
man you are good to go on any north American game. if you are comfordable at 60 stay there till you are dead on great then move up 2-3 pounds and so on till you get to 70. but you dont need to go to 70 you are fine where you are at. i'll pm you some good readin if you want just say so.

USMCarcher26
January 17th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I am posting this here, instead of the general archery forum, because after all the reading on AT, bowhunters seem more concerned with KE than target shooters. I am fairly new to archery and have yet to hunt, but next season I am going out even if I am on my deathbed. The questions I have came from today when I was testing my bow a bit more.

1.) I chronographed my bow, just 2 shots, (didn't want to waste the time of the shop attendant by getting a really good average FPS) but it came out 265/264 for an average of 264.5 FPS. Which I am not disappointed with. I am just wondering if I upped the draw weight to 70 pounds, what kind of increase could I expect to gain.

2.) The arrow I shot was 398 grains, giving me a total KE of 61.84. I plan on shooting 100 grain Slick Trick standards next season. Using a head that isn't cut on contact, should I be looking for more KE or is this plenty?

70 pounds is not uncomfortable for me to draw back, I have read and know that shot placement is the most important thing, and I am working on accuracy at least every other day. I am just wondering what others feel is "good enough" for humanely harvesting whitetails. Thanks for all the help in advance.:darkbeer:

Check
You have plenty of Kenetic Energy to harvest a Whitetail for sure. I would say if you were going to hunt something bigger (elk. moose, bear) you would want every foot pound of KE you could get, but you still have enough to probably take those animals cleanly. If you want to shoot 70lbs. and you can do it comfortably and accurately then crank it up. You would probably not notice much of a difference in KE if you cranked it up anyway without increasing arrow weight. Say your arrow was now traveling at 280fps after you go to 70lbs. That would be roughly an increase of 7 more ft. lbs. of K.E. to about 69ft. lbs. Its all about what you want.

duda
January 17th, 2008, 07:26 PM
One major point, you may be able to pull 80 lbs now but after you put on heavy hunting clothes and sit in the cold for hours you might not be able to.