PDA

View Full Version : Bow shot turkey meat damage.

Huskyhunter
January 20th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Im going to try bowhunting turkeys for the first time this spring, I see some pretty nasty exit wounds on this sight and was wondering about meat damage, I know how much deer meat gets blood shocked and was wondering if the whole turkey gets shocked from a broadhead, anyone have any pictures of skinned bow shot turkeys?
thanks

sbooy42
January 20th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I shot one with a spifire and it did some serious damage...as much as I love my bow I think might use my shotgun this year....

jms375
January 20th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Im going to try bowhunting turkeys for the first time this spring, I see some pretty nasty exit wounds on this sight and was wondering about meat damage, I know how much deer meat gets blood shocked and was wondering if the whole turkey gets shocked from a broadhead, anyone have any pictures of skinned bow shot turkeys?
thanks

I always shoot my turkey in the head or neck, my experience with turkey hunting is that I have an easier time hitting them in the head or neck than shooting at their vitals. As far as ruining meat, I would think most good shots on a turkey would affect very little meat. If its not a good shot you will never find them. I think they are alot harder to kill than whitetail. I don't know what the ethics police say an ethical shot is supposed to be on a turkey, I may get bashed for head shooting them.

three under
January 20th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Everyone I have taken with a bow(6) was from the ground broadside through the wings with an 1 1/2 " expandable. No meat damage to speak of and they didn't go far.

Skeptic
January 20th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Shot mine through the breasts and had no meat damage.

Bowhuntr64
January 20th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I have shot them right through the wing bones, and had no meat damage at all.