Archery Talk Forum banner

Ladies - help

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  rvkhan 
#1 ·
Ok - how do I get my wife to take a more active interest in archery??

I actually have gotten her to shoot a weekly league with me, but that is as far as it goes. She is improving, but very, very slowly - you see we shoot tradtional - and the only way to get good is to dedicate time.

Granted - we have six kids and she homeschools them - so at the end of the day she is pretty burnt, BUT - i am trying to get her to shoot a few arrows a day - i have an area in my house where we have a 3D target set up and can get up to 20 yard shots - but she rarely if ever will practice.

any ideas - or should i just be glad that she shoots once a week with me??

#2 ·
Maybe she just prefers to shoot with you, instead of alone? I know that's one thing that got me interested... that it's a hobby that my hubby & I can do together.

I'm brand new to the sport so I don't have much advice but I think it's great that she at least shoots once a week with ya - especially with homeschooling and everything.

Good luck to ya! :)

#3 ·
I know that you are really eager for her to shoot as much as you. Not knowing your wife, but knowing how I felt in the beginning, if she has that much on her plate she probably is shooting as much as she likes. Keep encouraging but be careful about pushing, she may feel overwhelmed. Don't give up, if she is shooting once a week still that shows you that she is interested. Just enjoy the time now, with encouragment and time I'm sure she will shoot more down the road.

God Bless

#4 ·
Did she make the Decision to shoot Trad or you?

I see a lot of fall out and burn out in ladies shooting trad not so much in Ladies shooting modern Gear

Busy ladies get worn out quick shootign trad gear i find

I just bought my lady Red Dot a 1966 Black Widow target bow 68' x 26# today

my two cents

Tink

#5 ·
Have you tried offering to watch the kids for a few hours, do dishes, do laundry or any of the million things a mother of 6 has to do in a day so that she can practice? I only raised 3 children and believe me, at the end of the day you are exhausted. Remember, "A man works from sun to sun, but a mother's work is never done."

#6 ·
AnAr may have a very good point...your wife would probably love 30 min or so a day to go out and just shoot, if she knew something was getting done while she was shooting...

I know that I have come to a point in my archery that my kids and husband come first, then archery, then the housework...so if someone says...I have no clean jeans...i say...theres the washer!!!!! as I nock another arrow:D ;)

#7 ·
I was just about to suggest that. If you watch the kids and clean up the house while she is outside than she will connect shooting with relaxation, little things make a big difference. If she goes out and shoots and the second she hits the door everyone is all over her , well it will be no fun. Of course it is hard to believe, but archery might not be her thing, OR atleast Traditional archery. If you want her involved let her look around. Maybe she would prefer another discipline. If she likes another discipline ENCOURAGE HER!! You can still shoot together. How about a Hungarian Horsebow. I just bought a BEAUTIFUL one in Vegas where the limbs are wrapped in dark blue suede. Or a shiny recurve. I know the Samick Mizar comes in pink and Baby blue and they are so pretty and shiny. Maybe after being locked in the house with 6 kids she needs to burn off some major aggression/frustration and would like the most powerful compound. IF shooting together is important to you then find out how it will be special to her too.

#8 ·
I to go involved because my husband shot archery. It took me a little while to really get into it and shoot without him. I still don't like to shoot alone. he helps me out a lot so when I shoot by myself and am not doing very well I get frustrated. One suggestion though do not push her into it. She will do it in her time and if you push (ryan tried when I first got started) she will end up not doing it at all. Trust me I had a wonderful bow and everything to go with it and sold it all because he pushed. I now am back into it and kicking his butt!
Also watch out she may become better than you are and you are going to wish that you would not have gotten her into it.

#9 ·
Agree with Knobbysgirl

Knobbysgirl, you hit it directly dead on!! I started shooting a little over a month ago because my husband bugged me to give it a try. He had to bug for a long time and even bought me my first bow as incentive. I really like shooting but don't necessarily want to go out every time he wants to, which upsets him. I need to enjoy archery on MY own terms and in my own way. I need to find out what I like about archery and so does your wife. We have a very busy schedule and some days I just want to relax and do nothing. It doesn't mean I am not interested in shooting, it just means I'm tired. I don't feel confident shooting by myself either as I'm still learning. Just encourage your wife when she goes out with you and when she shows interest Let her find her own passion for the sport and the amount of time she wants to spend on that sport.
---------------------------
2 Parker Challengers (Hunting bow and Target bow)
CX terminator 45/60
Tru Glo Neutralizer
Chappy Boss Talon Head Release

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.