PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorship/Prostaff question for everybody...

a3dhunter
February 23rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Isn't the whole reason for sponsorship and/or Prostaff positions to get things for discount?
I know a lot of people will say they just support the stuff they use, and my response to that is .......BULL!
If you just want to support equipment then there is no reason to be on a Pro staff or have a sponsorship........

So if all you are doing is getting something at a discount price while everyone else pays full price, then what do you call it?

If you are tied to promoting a shop or brand and even when there are probblems you can't mention them because it would look bad for that brand.....then what is that called?

In the Bowhunting forum a lot of things are promoted and bashed based on what people use, but what about people who have a reason for what they say???? The people that are getting "paid" for what they say in one way or another?

What is your opinion on this?

I only ask that if you are a sponsored shooter or pro staff that you do not respond so we can keep this a post for the normal hunters!:zip:

txcookie
February 23rd, 2008, 10:03 PM
Good point.

Also I think alot of the Pro staffer are just weekend warriors that go around with some cute little title to make themselves feel big and bad!

Man I am gonna loose friends over that post:wink:

Big Country
February 23rd, 2008, 10:04 PM
Let me make sure I am understanding your words correctly here........

Are you saying that the thoughts of a sponsored shooter are not relevant? That a sponsored shooter would be less than truthful just because they a get a discount, or free product?

Many sponsored shooters are sponsored in part because of their past experience and knowledge in the first place.

I do not know that many people that would be less than 100% honest, even for some serious money, let alone some discount archery gear.

fireman3333
February 23rd, 2008, 10:07 PM

Are you saying that the thoughts of a sponsored shooter are not relevant? That a sponsored shooter would be less than truthful just because they a get a discount, or free product?

Many sponsored shooters are sponsored in part because of their past experience and knowledge in the first place.

I do not know that many people that would be less than 100% honest, even for some serious money, let alone some discount archery gear.

that is not true in the least. They might like they product that they are using but they won't publically down it in any way or would lose their sponsorship.

Big Country
February 23rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
that is not true in the least. They might like they product that they are using but they won't publically down it in any way or would lose their sponsorship.

OK, so you are asserting that an archer would accept a sponsorship of a product that they don`t like and believe in?

Why would a person down a product that they believe in to start with?

Also, 99% of the products that get put down here on AT are fine products that are simply not the favorite of the basher.

I just could not imagine a person that would take any kind of sponsorship of a product they did not like.:eek:

WA. Hunter
February 23rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
No.

The benefit of being on a pro staff or obtaining a sponsorship is getting a discount.

The point of being sponsored or being on a pro staff is to promote the product. Yeah, you and I can do our part to support the products, but chances are we won't do it as adamently or as professionally as those chosen to have these positions. The extent of most of our support is showing pictures of what we're using and posting it in our signatures.

We more than likely won't be attending shows maintaining booths for the companies, we won't be writing articles for websites or magazines, and we won't be promoting the products outside of our little online communities.

Just my opinion... :wink:

txcookie
February 23rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
Good point.

Also I think alot of the Pro staffer are just weekend warriors that go around with some cute little title to make themselves feel big and bad!

Thats a load of bull

posco
February 23rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
Thats a load of bull
I thought you were right on.

txcookie
February 23rd, 2008, 10:17 PM
I thought you were right on.

welll if no one will argue with me then I will argue with myself!:wink:

a3dhunter
February 23rd, 2008, 10:17 PM

Yes, many a "PRO" has supported something for a while and then unexpectedly changed without offering a reason.(other than a sponsorship change)
Or they switched to a new product that they weren't previoulsy using because of a sponsorship being offered.......
So there personal preference is directly related to who has offered the money....
Not all....but at least a lot of them. Especially on the local level!:wink:

posco
February 23rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
You're on the right track, just give it a little more time.

JC-XT
February 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
Thats a load of bull

We've sunk to an all new low on AT, guys are even starting to argue with themselves. :wink:

a3dhunter
February 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
Thats a load of bull

You are even confusing me!:confused:

JOSHM
February 23rd, 2008, 10:20 PM
:zip:

posco
February 23rd, 2008, 10:21 PM
We've sunk to an all new low on AT, guys are even starting to argue with themselves. :wink:

I've done that.

txcookie
February 23rd, 2008, 10:21 PM

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::RO FLMAO:

a3dhunter
February 23rd, 2008, 10:22 PM
OK, so you are asserting that an archer would accept a sponsorship of a product that they don`t like and believe in?

Why would a person down a product that they believe in to start with?

Also, 99% of the products that get put down here on AT are fine products that are simply not the favorite of the basher.

I just could not imagine a person that would take any kind of sponsorship of a product they did not like.:eek:

Let's just say someone was shooting one paricular brand of bow, but were told they could get added as a prostaff shooter if they switched.....so they went and shot all that brand of bows and then switched because they could get a new bow at a discount......???

What about when they try a new product because of a sponsorship but can't give an honest report or talk about their problems with the product because they are "sponsored"?

jkcerda

we do it MV all the time, answer your own post & come back with a reply:embara:

txcookie
:darkbeer:TO clear up all confusion I stand by my first post the second was just me being silly:darkbeer:

boojo35
February 23rd, 2008, 10:23 PM
I would not shoot a product that I do not believe in to get a discount or to be a "staff shooter"...... I would rather pay to shoot something I like and can shoot well, than suck at a lower price......

a3dhunter
February 23rd, 2008, 10:23 PM
Good point.

Hmmmm, I wonder????:zip:

txcookie
February 23rd, 2008, 10:24 PM
Hmmmm, I wonder????:zip:

Yea that the one I stand by:mg:

JOSHM
February 23rd, 2008, 10:25 PM
:chimpeep:

a3dhunter
February 23rd, 2008, 10:27 PM
I would not shoot a product that I do not believe in to get a discount or to be a "staff shooter"...... I would rather pay to shoot something I like and can shoot well, than suck at a lower price......

What if you like the product....but have some problems and you can't ask advice about it or openly speak of it due to your sponsorship? what would you do then?
Keep the sponsorship or dump it?

If being sponsored is getting something at a discount, isn't that the same as money in your pocket when it comes to getting new gear?

JC-XT
February 23rd, 2008, 10:28 PM
To be completely honest, there is so much good equipment out there that I would be willing to switch most of my stuff for a sponsorship. I use the equipment that I like and has worked for me in the past, but if someone wants to give me money to shoot something that would perform similarly then I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Bows, arrows, broadheads, release, boots, treestand...you name it and it can be bought. I wouldn't be sponsored by something I don't believe in, but I wouldn't need to have what I considered to be the "best" product in order to take a sponsorship. Something "good" would probably be good enough for me. But I've never been very brand loyal, not with cars, motorcycles, guns, clothing, or anything else.

Whitefeather
February 23rd, 2008, 10:38 PM
What if you like the product....but have some problems and you can't ask advice about it or openly speak of it due to your sponsorship? what would you do then?

If being sponsored is getting something at a discount, isn't that the same as money in your pocket when it comes to getting new gear?

Dump it in a heartbeat! Saying you like or believe in a product you don't like or believe in, makes you a fraud...even if it's free. I couldn't live with myself just to save a few measly bucks.

fasst
February 23rd, 2008, 10:40 PM
No.

The benefit of being on a pro staff or obtaining a sponsorship is getting a discount.

The point of being sponsored or being on a pro staff is to promote the product. Yeah, you and I can do our part to support the products, but chances are we won't do it as adamently or as professionally as those chosen to have these positions. The extent of most of our support is showing pictures of what we're using and posting it in our signatures.

We more than likely won't be attending shows maintaining booths for the companies, we won't be writing articles for websites or magazines, and we won't be promoting the products outside of our little online communities.

Just my opinion... :wink:

:thumbs_up

Big Country
Let's just say someone was shooting one paricular brand of bow, but were told they could get added as a prostaff shooter if they switched.....so they went and shot all that brand of bows and then switched because they could get a new bow at a discount......???

What about when they try a new product because of a sponsorship but can't give an honest report or talk about their problems with the product because they are "sponsored"?

While I see your point, and I agree it could easily happen that way........without going into specifics, I am sponsored by way more companies than I have ever listed or discussed here. Some of those are in the form of discounted products. Some are in the form of free product. Some are free product plus other incentives....including money.

The best sponsor I have is not immune to me being honest about their product.

However, I doubt any of them have much to worry about from any of their sponsored shooters, because if they did not have a great product in the first place, I would simply pay full retail for a product that I wanted.:)

Kelly Johnson
Isn't the whole reason for sponsorship and/or Prostaff positions to get things for discount?
I know a lot of people will say they just support the stuff they use, and my response to that is .......BULL!
If you just want to support equipment then there is no reason to be on a Pro staff or have a sponsorship........

So if all you are doing is getting something at a discount price while everyone else pays full price, then what do you call it?

If you are tied to promoting a shop or brand and even when there are probblems you can't mention them because it would look bad for that brand.....then what is that called?

In the Bowhunting forum a lot of things are promoted and bashed based on what people use, but what about people who have a reason for what they say???? The people that are getting "paid" for what they say in one way or another?

I only ask that if you are a sponsored shooter or pro staff that you do not respond so we can keep this a post for the normal hunters!:zip:

1. You state initially...

Sponsorship/Prostaff question for everybody...
followed by...

A guy wins 4 of 4 local tournys shooting XXXX that he paid full price for and company XXXXX is at one of the shoots and offers a "Pro Staff" position to said shooter...what do you call it? Bull?

Every shop, every brand, every everything has problems of some kind. Many times the "problem" isn't a problem for everyone. Our "Pro Staffer" may not have any issue with their bow brands grip, while everyone else bashes it, because he shoots that bow (and every bow) off the riser. Why does he carry the burden of picking every little negative even when it doesn't affect him?

Just my take but seems someone has a little "Pro Staff Envy" if ya ask me:wink:

And No...I'm not sponsored or pro staff for anyone. Just a guy with a bow.:wink:

UCNYbowhunter
February 23rd, 2008, 10:43 PM

I think I will read this one and see who is winning this one :darkbeer:

txcookie
February 23rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
I would be a HO in the world of sponsors!

If any arrow company said they would give me free arrows I would tell all of you that I love the arrows and they flew great. :eek:

That being said I cant shoot good enough to get a sponsor nowadays so Looks Like I am just going to have to be honest!

a3dhunter
February 23rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
1. You state initially...

followed by...

A guy wins 4 of 4 local tournys shooting XXXX that he paid full price for and company XXXXX is at one of the shoots and offers a "Pro Staff" position to said shooter...what do you call it? Bull?

Every shop, every brand, every everything has problems of some kind. Many times the "problem" isn't a problem for everyone. Our "Pro Staffer" may not have any issue with their bow brands grip, while everyone else bashes it, because he shoots that bow (and every bow) off the riser. Why does he carry the burden of picking every little negative even when it doesn't affect him?

Just my take but seems someone has a little "Pro Staff Envy" if ya ask me:wink:

And No...I'm not sponsored or pro staff for anyone. Just a guy with a bow.:wink:

Kelley, in situation #2 that you describe I don't see a problem at all with using and being supported by something like that.
My problem comes when someone changes brands of what they use and then try to claim it is just because they like the product!:wink:

As far as problems, I am not looking for something that is nit picky, let's say there is a major problem with getting a bow tuned and nobody can figure it out.....but you can't post a question on a forum because you are "sponsored", even though someone could have the answer for you in five minutes? (I am talking about major problems that can't be discussed because of the money involved, not just what one person likes or dislikes about a brand.)

As far as "PRO Staff Envy", I would rather retain my integrity to give my opinion without being unduly influenced by the money/discount that I received in the sponsorship/pro staff aggreement. The one exception would be in situation #2 where you described earlier that it was something that was already being used. In that case I would gladly take the discount!:wink:

Whitefeather
February 23rd, 2008, 10:56 PM
Kelley, in situation #2 that you describe I don't see a problem at all with using and being supported by something like that.
My problem comes when someone changes brands of what they use and then try to claim it is just because they like the product!:wink:

As far as problems, I am not looking for something that is nit picky, let's say there is a major problem with getting a bow tuned and nobody can figure it out.....but you can't post a question on a forum because you are "sponsored", even though someone could have the answer for you in five minutes? (I am talking about major problems that can't be discussed because of the money involved, not just what one person likes or dislikes about a brand.)

As far as "PRO Staff Envy", I would rather retain my integrity to give my opinion without being unduly influenced by the money/discount that I received in the sponsorship/pro staff aggreement. The one exception would be in situation #2 where you described earlier that it was something that was already being used. In that case I would gladly take the discount!:wink:

I would personally contact the manufacturer or company doing the sponsoring. They'd know their product better than anyone else.

a3dhunter
February 23rd, 2008, 10:57 PM

If any arrow company said they would give me free arrows I would tell all of you that I love the arrows and they flew great. :eek:

That being said I cant shoot good enough to get a sponsor nowadays so Looks Like I am just going to have to be honest!

Are you implying that staff shooters are not completely honest?:zip:

txcookie
February 23rd, 2008, 11:00 PM

Are you implying that staff shooters are not completely honest?:zip:

Wow you caught that!!!!!!!

No I think that most are honest however if Someone say Rage offered someone say Chuck Adams enough money he might start going back on everything that he ever said abou Mechs!!!!!

boojo35
February 23rd, 2008, 11:02 PM

If there are problems with a product, why would I like it???? I will not sell my soul to get it at a lower price or for free..... I would dump the sponsorship.....

jkcerda
February 23rd, 2008, 11:05 PM
[QUOTE=a3dhunter;6361421]

Wow you caught that!!!!!!!

No I think that most are honest however if Someone say Rage offered someone say Chuck Adams enough money he might start going back on everything that he ever said abou Mechs!!!!!

read bugle MAG, he is praising not one but 2 mech:eek:
the rage & I believe rocky MT sniper.

you think he is getting sponsored by them?:wink:

a3dhunter
February 23rd, 2008, 11:07 PM
If there are problems with a product, why would I like it???? I will not sell my soul to get it at a lower price or for free..... I would dump the sponsorship.....

I agree, but some people don't agree......they will stay with an inferior product and keep singing it's praises pretending that there aren't any problems.

a3dhunter
February 23rd, 2008, 11:07 PM
[QUOTE=txcookie;6361439]

read bugle MAG, he is praising not one but 2 mech:eek:
the rage & I believe rocky MT sniper.

you think he is getting sponsored by them?:wink:

Maybe not yet........but how long until he does?:wink:

a3dhunter
February 23rd, 2008, 11:09 PM
I would personally contact the manufacturer or company doing the sponsoring. They'd know their product better than anyone else.

I agree and let's say that was done and they were no closer to an answer....would you then post a question on AT or stay silent due to sponsorship?

txcookie
February 23rd, 2008, 11:10 PM
Somthing is jacked with the quotes!

I doubt many of us would use products that simply dont work But for Chuck Adams to go against everything he ever said about mechs is kinda BS if you ask me.

jkcerda
February 23rd, 2008, 11:11 PM
[QUOTE=jkcerda;6361464]

Maybe not yet........but how long until he does?:wink:

read post 37:wink:

you too cookie

ELITE@LAST
February 23rd, 2008, 11:13 PM

i think if you can get a product you like at a discount then go for it... as for the problems i shoot a bowtech and we all know they don't have problems :ROFLMAO: i think whatever you feel comfortable doing go for it whether you get paid or not. there is a lot of products i believe in whole heartedly and i'll promote them every chance i get no matter if i'm sponsored or not... it just makes it better to get a discount on it.. but if i'm sponsored by a company and i find a problem with that product and the company doesn't address it i'd be looking for something else, sponsored or not..

jkcerda
February 23rd, 2008, 11:14 PM
i think if you can get a product you like at a discount then go for it... as for the problems i shoot a bowtech and we all know they don't have problems :ROFLMAO: i think whatever you feel comfortable doing go for it whether you get paid or not. there is a lot of products i believe in whole heartedly and i'll promote them every chance i get no matter if i'm sponsored or not... it just makes it better to get a discount on it.. but if i'm sponsored by a company and i find a problem with that product and the company doesn't address it i'd be looking for something else, sponsored or not..

what happened to Elite:zip::wink:

a3dhunter
February 23rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
what happened to Elite:zip::wink:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ELITE@LAST
February 23rd, 2008, 11:20 PM
i had to wait on the ELITE....for various reasons. NOT sponsorship though that's for dang sure...

a3dhunter
February 23rd, 2008, 11:48 PM
How many hunters would change products to something that was good, but not what you were using, if they offered a sponsorship?

How many of you would sing their praises even if the product started giving you a bunch of problems?

Would you keep your mouth shut or be honest to the public about your experiences?

At one point are you considered a sell out?

WA. Hunter
February 23rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
Before I make another reply to answer your questions, I have one of my own A3d;

Are you now or have you ever been on a pro staff or held a sponsorship position from a company in the archery/hunting industry?

jkcerda
February 23rd, 2008, 11:51 PM
How many hunters would change products to something that was good, but not what you were using, if they offered a sponsorship?

How many of you would sing their praises even if the product started giving you a bunch of problems?

Would you keep your mouth shut or be honest to the public about your experiences?

doubt any sponsored guy will answer that.
but in alll honesty, would YOU like to be sposored by a product that YOU don't like or believe in?

Whitefeather
February 24th, 2008, 12:01 AM

I would offer to test it first and if it passed my standards and was a solid product, then I would take the sponsorship.

Not here. It would be dropped unless the manufacturer fixed the problems. I wouldn't attach my name to junk.

I wouldn't publicly slam them about it, but I would talk to them about possible fixes. If they weren't interested in what I or others had to say, then it would be dumped. A company that doesn't listen to it's customers/testers soon will be bankrupt.

PSE76
February 24th, 2008, 12:03 AM

?#1-I am a shop shooter/PSE field staffer that has always shot a PSE

?#2-I have been fourthcoming on here about any issues I have had with my bows, but I'm not a sponsored shooter, just a shop shooter

?#3-re-read my answer to ?#2

?#4-nope, I've got nothing to hide, but I'm not a sponsored shooter just a shop shooter

Maybe none of this was directed to shop shooter/field staff guys. Nothing is given to us, usually given to us at cost from the shop that we are trying to help out. All the travel expenses and entry fees are out of our own pocket.

ZA206
February 24th, 2008, 12:21 AM

Yesterday it was Dartons, today it's Mathews.... what's next, a Hoyt?:eek::wink: I wish it were a Bowtech.... I'd have some SERIOUS fun if he goes that direction!:becky:

-ZA

a3dhunter
February 24th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Before I make another reply to answer your questions, I have one of my own A3d;

Are you now or have you ever been on a pro staff or held a sponsorship position from a company in the archery/hunting industry?

I am not sponsored and have never been. Thanks for asking.

a3dhunter
February 24th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Whitefeather, some good responses there that I can understand.:darkbeer:

WA. Hunter
February 24th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I am not sponsored and have never been. Thanks for asking.

Then its easy to understand why you find it so easy to question the opinions of those being sponsored.

:wink:

I typed up a good paragraph or two, but what the hell. I'm not going to stir the pot any further.

Enjoy your evening.

a3dhunter
February 24th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Then its easy to understand why you find it so easy to question the opinions of those being sponsored.

I typed up a good paragraph or two, but what the hell. I'm not going to stir the pot any further.

Enjoy your evening.

Yep, I value my honesty and my integrity and wouldn't sell out for a little "discount"!:wink:

I think there are a lot of sponsored shooters that feel the same way and if they have problems thet handle it as whitefeather described, but there are also the others who ride the fence keeping their mouth shut to keep getting the discounts.

Now looking back at all the responses, I will say that most of what I am talking about refers to the local level, which doesn't apply to the big names that are writing for the magazines on a regular basis.
I think they would mostly fall into the area of liking a product, using it, and then picking up the sponsorship for something they already support.
They are the ones who project an image and maintain a following of people who will shoot whatever based on following them.

What about the local shooter for the local shop?

If you have some other type of answer or viewpoint I encourage you to share it.
All opinions valued....
Anyone else have an opinion?

ELITE@LAST
February 24th, 2008, 02:03 AM
well, i wouldn't sell my integrity for any price. i don't know about SOME people but i'd definitely spill the beans if i came across a problem with a product i was supposed to be endorsing or pushing to help with sales. i wouldn't feel comfortable trying to sell someone a product i didn't feel was worth the money.

txcookie
February 24th, 2008, 04:37 AM

Enjoy your evening.

19 is a great age:darkbeer:

teambringit1
February 24th, 2008, 05:57 AM
if I were to obtain a sponsorship, I would like to think I would be very honest about the results of the products...look at it this way...if it wasn't any good in the first place, I would have a hard time shooting something I didn't believe in, much less commit to giving good testimonials to the said products....

VorTexan
February 24th, 2008, 11:47 AM
As far as equipment goes there is a lot of good stuff out there and the competition has made it that way from bows to arrows to your little doinkers*.

To me there is a big difference in taking sponsorship vs. actually SELLING one's product. Yes, the company that sponsor's you surely wants something in return (win etc.) but sometimes they want something else that only YOU can give them....user input. My brother and I own a processing facility and I see hundreds of hunter's during each season if I put my name on anything I MUST believe in it. Selling something you don't believe in is fraud as mentioned above. I want hard working people like me to be pleased if I have anything to do with something especially a product. Now if you look at my sig you see I am a Vortex dealer and I put them to the test long before I became a dealer. I like this company because first of all they have a great product but second they LISTEN if I have something to say about a product. That is the kind of company I like to deal with and having avg. (well better than avg.:wink:) guys on staff helping answer questions about best product for given situation is a plus especially when they are down to earth good guys that have the same passion for the sport that I do. Some companies get too big and it's all about the money. I'm not saying that's the case with the guys on T.V. but they sure do switch a lot. Apparently the companies they were with.....didn't listen to them and make improvements or the TOOK the MONEY and swithced (again).

3d your hunt with Campo may have cost you sponsorship for some time.

Wait there's got to be some company that would pick these guys up....let's think about this, sounds like a good thread.

huntin_addict
February 24th, 2008, 12:53 PM
19 is a great age:darkbeer:I thought that too. I'm also reading alot of "I wouldn't sell out my integrity" but here is my thought on that, when it's a decent amount of money, people seem to start doing things they say they wouldn't do.....

PSE76
February 24th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I thought that too. I'm also reading alot of "I wouldn't sell out my integrity" but here is my thought on that, when it's a decent amount of money, people seem to start doing things they say they wouldn't do.....

In some cases, yes. When I was interested in having my shop order my X-Force for me, they came fourth and offered me the shop shooter spot, I think it was because the XF was new and mine would've been the first for his shop to order/sell. So my situation came up at the same time, first ordered the bow-then was offered the spot, more so for feedback on the bow for other potential customers and to also help spreed the word about his shop and his products. I have been his customer since I started buying brand new bows, so shop shoote or not, I was going to buy this bow from him anyway.

a3dhunter
February 24th, 2008, 11:15 PM
3d your hunt with Campo may have cost you sponsorship for some time.

I don't want a sponsorship, I would like to remain free to give my opinion and results, whether good or bad!

There was one time I thought I did, but that is out the window after seeing some of the lack of honesty that is present in this type of situation.....:wink:

Besides that....who in their right mind would ever sponsor me?:confused:

Who produces that "Huntley" show.........

PullinTriggers
February 24th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I'd chime in......but the original post says I'm not allowed:cry: