Archery Talk Forum banner

How do I get rid of deer?

3K views 76 replies 46 participants last post by  Buckblood 
#1 ·
My sales manager has a 65 acre tree farm and so far this year the deer have done over $50,000.00 dollars worth of damage and I cannot think of a way for him to get rid of them.

The DNR issued us 5 tags that we used up in 1 hour and that did nothing.

The DNR issued us 10 more tags but I told him even if we did shoot 10 more it would not do any good do to the fact that there are over 120 in this small area. "The DNR have been counting every night".

The DNR wants to put up a fence all around his property but that will be expensive and plus if he ever wants to sell his land the next owner will not want a huge fence all around his property.

The DNR wanted to set off a cannon every hour on the hour but how the hell would a family sleep at night. Same goes for a dog, barking all night and having to feed it and take care of a pet that he does not have time for.

I am out of ideas so I am turning to the only other source I know of.

This is a serious problem and I thank you all for your advice and thoughts.

:darkbeer:

See less See more
#4 ·
He does not hunt but his uncle hunts out there every year.

The DNR said that he is pulling deer from a 13 mile radius.

#5 ·
Can he or would he allow the employees and their families to hunt the land? That would help thin the heard.

Loud cannons and sirens will not deter them, as deer just get use to it. I know a potatoe farmer who had a ton of deer in his fields, DNR issued block permits but alot more than the 5 you got. That lead to summer deer hunting and helping thin out the herd.

If they won't allow more tags then you have to get more hunters with their tags to help get the numbers down.

Unless he fences it all in and that is going to get expensive, I would allow for hunters to come in.

Maybe go around the property with something very smelly on rags on poles that might deter them from going onto the property. Their nose is their first defense and if you put out a pungent odor it may make them think twice, then again if the tummy is rumbling they make risk danger for feeding their bellies!

#7 ·
The DNR is catching alot of heat for having myself and my boss shooting 5 deer already. They are big time hunters around the area and they feel that we are just a bunch of poachers! Kinda ticks me off that they would think that when this family owned business is there second income.

The fence is a good idea but it would hurt the price of his property to have a buyer who dosent want the fence up and have to cost him more to take it down.

Smelly rags might be an alternetive but what would you use? Thanks

#9 ·
Smelly rags might be an alternetive but what would you use? Thanks

I know once you get diesel fuel on your hands it takes forever to get that smell off from you. Maybe diesel fuel on a rag?

Guess you would have to watch what you put on the rag as to not pollute the land. Maybe take bars of Irish Spring soap and put them on the tops of metal rods. Sure the rain will wash it away over time but it will also give off more scent.

Raid the wife's perfume cabinet!! :grin:

#16 ·
Years ago all the local farms and orchid would use hair clipping from my Dads barber shop. The concept worked great and refills were always available

#19 ·
You know I heard the Wenzel brothers used that tactic to change deer patterns. Deer would always come out from a certain side of a field that they couldn't set up on and get a shot.

So their logic was to change their movement, they got hair clippings and sprinkled in that area that the deer were coming out of every evening. Sure enough they did change their pattern and it worked for them, deer got closer to their set-up.

Something about human hair they do not like at all. Might be something to try.

#20 ·
I've tried the irish spring & hair clippings around my garden. both worked for a couple days, then the deer got used to them and came right back for the easy meal.
I don't know how practical this would be for 65 acres, but I've heard good things about motion activated sprinkler heads. Maybe line the property w/ them :dontknow:

#21 ·
He has all sorts of different trees on this "Tree Farm". The hair clipings might work but we do not have a constant supply.

Most of the trees are pine trees and they have them eaten up as far as they can reach.

#23 ·
Dude my cousin uses a sure fire method on his garden every year but it may be pricey for the size you have. He uses an electric fence. He puts 2 wires around it at about 8 inches and 2 ft. He turns the power on and he hasnt had 1 deer jump it in years. Something about the electricity causes them to stay away. When he removes it or turns it off they come right in.

#24 ·
You could build a perimeter fence, but you'd be hard pressed to get all the deer removed, plus any deer that wanted in could clear 8' (or more) if it wants to.

What about those "plot saver" things? They keep deer outta food plots......it'd take some maintenance, but it might work.

#33 ·
Just invite every hunter you can find to come help you out. Can't imagine there wouldn't be loads of people ready to jump on that. Tell'em it's archery only so you don't wind up burying someone and let'em at it.

#34 ·
The DNR wants us to use rifles or shotguns because they are louder.

I already asked if I could use my bow and they said no.

Too many people are getting upset over just killing them all. No longer an option.

Thanks

#39 ·
The DNR wants us to use rifles or shotguns because they are louder

I already asked if I could use my bow and they said no.

Too many people are getting upset over just killing them all. No longer an option.

Thanks
Who said no you can't use your bow? I guess I don't understand you want to get rid of the deer but, they won't let anyone go in with a bow and take them out?
I have seen a sprinkler system that activated with a motion detector when the deer walk in fronter of the detector the sprinkler goes off and sprays them. I would guess it's probably kind of expensive.

#35 ·
Electric fences work well on gardens and such, and are cheap to put up. I think if you were to try on set at a few varied heights, you'd find it would work well. Sure some of the deer will jump it, but not as many as are freely walking in now.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.