PDA

View Full Version : Questions about GPS capabilities

camotoe
April 2nd, 2008, 08:08 AM
I don't have a gps unit, but would like to get one, but I have a few q's.

* My property line is not obvious as there are some hills and woods and a big patch of thickets. There are two pins (from a survey) at each end of the line. Can I use a GPS unit at one pin, and mark it as a waypoint, then go to the other pin and do the same, and then have the unit point (as I go back to the first) the exact direction (to form a straight line) so I could mark the boundary with t-posts or flags? (property line in question is about 1000 feet)

* Which units have compasses that do not require one to be moving to work?

* How difficult is it to upload maps or are the maps in certain units (preinstalled) adequate for most uses?

*I'd be using my unit for basically the following: geocaching, hiking, fishing to mark hotspots, and finally street navigation. Any suggestions for which might be best to look into?

Thanks for any input...

boyles77
April 15th, 2008, 11:13 AM
in my oppinion the best gps on earth is the Garmin Etrex vista Cx. the HCx is the newer one, but i think that the Cx is better. the Cx has a compass the will work without movement. and the way that you could get your corners marked is just go to them Mark each one. and then make a route from corner 1 to 2 to 3 to 4. that should be easy. theses are sold at academy and bass pro and pretty well every sporting goods store out there. Ebay is probably the cheapest place to find one. or just ask your fellow AT'rs they might have one. cost around $150-200.

good luck,
boyles77

mangler
May 2nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
I use a Magellan Explorist 600. It has a color screen and a built in compass that doesn't require movement to work. Loading maps on it takes all of two minutes. It has an SD card slot in it so you can download the maps you want off the computer software and slide the card in. I've had it in Iraq and Afghanistan and it hasn't let me down yet.

I am however always looking for the latest greates gizmo out there and the new Garmin Colorado seems to be it. It comes with north america topo maps allready loaded on it. Color screen, ect. ect.. The pluses to it I've found so far over my Magellan are, it takes regular AA batteries, you can download satellite imagery and use it as an overlay on your topo map. You can also rotate the image like you would do with google earth.

The only downfall to it is the price, It's around 500 bucks right now. I haven't checked out tiger gps yet though. Whatever you decide to buy check these guys out for price. Rarely do I see them being beat and their customer service is topnotch.

www.tigergps.com

good luck

LabRat314
May 4th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Garmin is the best and most widely compatable GPS. They have a lot of different models. Check their website for more info.

Techy
July 15th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Garmin cs60 probably the best for the money right now.

JAG
July 25th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I have the Garmin Rino 530 and it does everything. It is not cheap though, around $400 (or it was), it is a handheld with a two-way radio, so you can communicate with other 2 ways.. you do have to read the instructions and spend some time figuring out where everything is located on it, but it does almost everything. Even has weather radio. i bought it for search and rescue, and it would be great for hunting locations and staying safe.. you can send your location to other users. I use it to mark my treestands too.

i just got a Tomtom one for the car, and that thing is awesome..everything is very user friendly, and it had quite a bit of info available at your fingertips.. you dont have to fumble through buttons, just punch in where your going and go.. voice directions too..

smalltowncowboy
July 29th, 2008, 07:25 PM
i had a magellan 80 that i used on my quad, it was ok but just gave you a line drawing of where you had gone. eolled the quad and smashed the screen on it so it was time for an upgrade. now i have a garmin 60csx, was kinda spendy (about $550) but is 2000 times better. i can load maps from google or yahoo for driving trips, load topo maps for themountains, has a color screen, and at freeway exits if you click on that exit it will show you gas, food, and lodging.

archery ham
July 29th, 2008, 09:46 PM
* My property line is not obvious as there are some hills and woods and a big patch of thickets. There are two pins (from a survey) at each end of the line. Can I use a GPS unit at one pin, and mark it as a waypoint, then go to the other pin and do the same, and then have the unit point (as I go back to the first) the exact direction (to form a straight line) so I could mark the boundary with t-posts or flags? (property line in question is about 1000 feet)

GPS is very good for this.

* Which units have compasses that do not require one to be moving to work?

Look for a model with a Digital Compass

* How difficult is it to upload maps or are the maps in certain units (preinstalled) adequate for most uses?

Most models comes with a computer cable. The USB type of cable is slightly better....you might be able to connect to the front of your PC. Others will have a 9 pin type thatyou will have to connect to the back of your PC. Some maps on CD can be $100 or more. Base maps or pre-loaded maps are adequate for general use. Fancier models like the Garmin 60csx has many neat feature like: tropography maps, freeway exit numbers and hotel informations, colored graphic screen, and updated maps to download to it

*I'd be using my unit for basically the following: geocaching, hiking, fishing to mark hotspots, and finally street navigation. Any suggestions for which might be best to look into?

I think you will be please with the Garmin 60csx. I have seen online prices below 300 for it. Try to get a 12 volt cable for any model you get...for mobile use.