PDA

View Full Version : Calling At a Deer To Get It To Stop - Then Take Shot

nagster
April 16th, 2008, 09:02 PM
On The Primos Videos, Right before they shoot they almost always get the deer to stop by calling to them, then they shoot, is that the camera guy calling? or is it the man behind the bow? are they calling using a call, Or just doing that with there mouths?

have any of you shot a deer by getting it to stop like that by yourself?

SKR8PN
April 16th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Yup. I just do a medium low "Baaa" sound. They will stop everytime....just don't take all day to take your shot. :wink: I normally already have them in my sights and am ready to fire, when I place that call. :)

PAstringking
i usually get the deer to stop with a mouth blat.

the drury's and primos boys let the camera guy do the bleat when he has the right shot.

MSUarcher
the last deer i shot I just said "hey" out loud and it stopped and I shot it. I had buck fever and it was the first thing that came out of my mouth but it worked

Whitefeather
April 16th, 2008, 09:06 PM
On The Primos Videos, Right before they shoot they almost always get the deer to stop by calling to them, then they shoot, is that the camera guy calling? or is it the man behind the bow? are they calling using a call, Or just doing that with there mouths?

have any of you shot a deer by getting it to stop like that by yourself?

I call that the "mah" tool. It works pretty well at stopping them. Don't hesitate on the shot though, cause they'll be looking for the source of the sound and with plenty of nervousness.

Shouldernuke!
April 16th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Well I have only grunted or bleated with my mouth when the deer were walking out of shooting range or the last shooting lane .However they almost always "blat" at thier deer .I have seen those guys do it to stopped feeding deer as well that makes absalutely no sense at all IMO to aleart a calm deer . I thingk this a southern thing How about some help with this southern guys!!.:confused:

Scoutman
April 16th, 2008, 09:12 PM
You can whistle or mah with your mouth but be aiming and shoot the instant they stop.

nagster
April 16th, 2008, 09:12 PM
so then it is done by mouth.. i was just using the primos vids as a reference, i was really looking for everyones opinion or stories on here.

willie
April 16th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I always use a loud BAHH! to get them to stop.

Some people shoot deer while they are walking and get that "hit him a little too far back" shot..

flintcreek6412
April 16th, 2008, 09:37 PM
It all depends on the situation. If they are just grazing acorns or crops I will wait for the shot to present itself.

If they are calmly walking by but obviously not going to stop I give the mouth bleat.

If they are running hard after a hot doe, I begin with the mouth bleat, then one very loud and then usually end up yelling "hey!" to get them to stop. The key to the call is already being at full draw ready to drop the string the second they stop.

georgiabuckdan
April 16th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Well I have only grunted or bleated with my mouth when the deer were walking out of shooting range or the last shooting lane .However they almost always "blat" at thier deer .I have seen those guys do it to stopped feeding deer as well that makes absalutely no sense at all IMO to aleart a calm deer . I thingk this a southern thing How about some help with this southern guys!!.:confused:

I dont say or do nuuuuuuuuthing!!!! If his heads down and hes feeding @ perfect broadside good, if hes walking and gives me a shot good nough!! Deer down here get fed ampheatamines during hunting season i think! Brother shot @ an 8 last year and he tried to jump it to where the man was sick because he gave it an hour of down time (blood everywhere) Then the dogs would bump it and he'd go again, well into someone elses property he called it! Following week someone put his arrow against the stop sign next to the property! Now the pics of him are on the trail cam! Got the perfect triange from the broadhead right behind the shoulder but way way low and where the broadhead opened the hyde on inside of shoulder towards chest! The whole thing was just weird! Oh the bow was a 70 lb decked out switchy..:dontknow:

manboy
April 16th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I dont say or do nuuuuuuuuthing!!!! If his heads down and hes feeding @ perfect broadside good, if hes walking and gives me a shot good nough!! Deer down here get fed ampheatamines during hunting season i think! Brother shot @ an 8 last year and he tried to jump it to where the man was sick because he gave it an hour of down time (blood everywhere) Then the dogs would bump it and he'd go again, well into someone elses property he called it! Following week someone put his arrow against the stop sign next to the property! Now the pics of him are on the trail cam! Got the perfect triange from the broadhead right behind the shoulder but way way low and where the broadhead opened the hyde on inside of shoulder towards chest! The whole thing was just weird! Oh the bow was a 70 lb decked out switchy..:dontknow:

one of those metal barrel deer, that DOC was checking broadheads on?:confused:

ILLbucknut
April 16th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I've hollerd and shouted at deer during the rut and they never even noticed I was there. I even banged my call on my stand when I had a buck run back and forth from the field edge to inside the timber, never being more than 20yds, he only had one thing on his mind.
I try not to stop them with a mouth unless they are moving out of a shooting lane and are calm.

Greg Krause
April 16th, 2008, 10:31 PM

EXACTLY! I always laugh at these guys stopping deer that will present a shot anyway. All you are doing is priming the deer to jump the string. 9 times out of 10 a deer won't even react to the sound of a shot if they are relaxed, if you stop them they will jump the srting 9 times out of 10.

I think i have stopped 3 deer ever! They were all trotting through at a good clip. I was already on them and touching off the release as they slowed to a stop but didn't have time to fully stop and get nervous

JC-XT
April 16th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I always use a loud BAHH! to get them to stop.

Some people shoot deer while they are walking and get that "hit him a little too far back" shot..

I like to shoot at deer that have no idea I'm even out in the woods with them, they don't jump the string and they don't take off running after the shot. Shooting an unaware deer leads to good shot placement and short recoveries.

Some people bahh at every deer they shoot at and get that "he ducked right under the arrow" shot. :wink:

I have bleated at a few deer to get them to stop over the years, but it is a last resort and I prefer not to shoot at an alert deer if at all possible. I think a lot of the hunters on tv do it for video footage purposes more than anything else.

hivoltg
April 16th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I've done the mouth bleat on a few deer during bow season and it works great.
We also use this method with a rifle during gun season when we are culling does. They stop every time. It helps for them to be stationary when we cull hunt, kind of a small target!:wink:

saskguy
April 16th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I tried it once this yr on a dandy buck during the rut. HE WOULD NOT STOP!! AAAGGHHH!:tongue:

SEOBowhntr
April 16th, 2008, 11:40 PM
so then it is done by mouth.. i was just using the primos vids as a reference, i was really looking for everyones opinion or stories on here.

While I don't do this bowhunting, I have done it in the past gun-hunting, and helping a young kid get his first opportunity. Mine usually is more of a "mwaaaa" sound, works pretty well especially if you are gunning them, but I'm a bit more leary bowhunting. If the opportunity doesn't present, I'd rather not take a shot at a moving or keyed up deer. I've seen it work on videos, but I'm still a little leary myself. Being half-deaf and half-blind, I don't need anything else to put me at a disadvantage!!! :wink:

hivoltg
April 16th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I tried it once this yr on a dandy buck during the rut. HE WOULD NOT STOP!! AAAGGHHH!:tongue:

You should have yelled "HEY!" It's worked for me in the past:darkbeer:

completepassthru
April 17th, 2008, 12:22 AM
i bleat at a deer if it is about to walk out of my shooting lane and it works everytime. i personally have never spooked one doing this. if they are running or will not stop for a bleat i whistle loudly, i have stopped several deer like this. as far as shooting immediately, they are going to look and listen for the source so pick your spot and shoot but you do not have to shoot as soon as they stop. i have had deer that stopped behing some brush or limb and stood there for 10-15 seconds, did'nt see or hear anything continue on and i stopped them again and made the shot. i killed a big 10pt. this year by bleating him stopped. i had called him in from about 80-90yards and he was just about to walk through my only shooting lane when i stopped him at 26 yards. he never moved until my hammerhead hit him.

Stanley
April 17th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I use it as needed. Doesn't work as well in really thick brushy areas, have had them stop just past shooting lanes. It doen't work every time but more often than not.

swtchback
April 17th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Yup. I just do a medium low "Baaa" sound. They will stop everytime....just don't take all day to take your shot. :wink: I normally already have them in my sights and am ready to fire, when I place that call. :)

Ditto, plus even if I had someone w/me, I would still do it myself that way I would know when exactly the right time was.

Jeffress77
April 17th, 2008, 02:59 AM

The video guys do it to get the deer to be alert and look right at the camera. This allows for a better "video" shot with the deer posing for the camera.

IGluIt4U
April 17th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I've used a mouth call to stop them several times.... it works. :wink:

willie
April 17th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I don't know about this "bahhing will make them alert" stuff.

I've shot too many deer from 7 to 42 yards after bahhing them and the never moved a muscle until the arrow hit them.

I don't think a natural sound to them puts them on alert. If I hollered HEY!! at them then yes they would be ready to bolt and the next sound.

I do agree if you have a feeding deer (basically stationary) there is no need to bahh at them. Just wait for a good shot.

A buck that I killed two years ago I had bahhed and he didn't stop and I bahhed as loud as I could and he finally stopped. I killed him at 35 yards.

old Graybeard
April 17th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I only do it as a last resort to stop them. I guess I feel I don't want to direct their attention at me and put them on alert unless it's the last chance I might have. Just my feelings.

eagle24
April 17th, 2008, 09:10 AM

Had the same thing happen on a buck chasing a doe. I did a "baaa" twice, hollered "hey" and "stop". He never broke stride. Guess he was committed to carrying out what was on his mind.

ks_kiwi
April 17th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I've seen that trick on all the videos too but have never used it myself. I still manage to fill my tags too :wink:

outdoorattic
April 17th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I do it if they are moving out of range to get them to freeze for the second I need.

IGluIt4U
April 17th, 2008, 11:02 AM
This buck was trailing a hot doe.. she came past at 20yds, I let her pass, then he came along.. step for step, about 15yds behind her out of a thicket... she passed my 20yd 'hole in the trees' and he followed her... they were just walking, not fast, but not slowly either... when he got to my hole, I was at full draw.. I just gave him a little brrrrrp and he came to a standstill.... it was already too late... :D :wink:

Dens228
April 17th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Last year I shot a buck that was walking by after getting him to stop by saying,
"pssst" like when you are trying to tell someone a secret.

This year I tried it on a doe and she kept on walking so I just said, "hey" in a normal voice and she stopped.

birdman
April 17th, 2008, 11:17 AM
i have used a mouth bllaaahh sometimes to stop a fast walking buck but with a doe you better be ready to shoot or she will bust you and be gone in a heart beat..i have also used a buck call after the shot on a relaxed buck and they have stoped to see where it came from and then fall over..sometimes it slows them down.its just some things i have tried over the years. in either case be ready to shoot when you try it

22lyons
April 17th, 2008, 11:23 AM
why give a deer the heads up? doesn't make sense to me unless absolute last resort.

think tv does it more for camera work and "effect" more than anything else.

gun hunting ok but not with bow.

Greg Krause
April 17th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I don't know about this "bahhing will make them alert" stuff.

I've shot too many deer from 7 to 42 yards after bahhing them and the never moved a muscle until the arrow hit them.

I don't think a natural sound to them puts them on alert. If I hollered HEY!! at them then yes they would be ready to bolt and the next sound.

I do agree if you have a feeding deer (basically stationary) there is no need to bahh at them. Just wait for a good shot.

A buck that I killed two years ago I had bahhed and he didn't stop and I bahhed as loud as I could and he finally stopped. I killed him at 35 yards.

It won't alert them to you, but it will often make them stop and look in your direction and listen closely for where the noise came from.
That just gives them a much better chance of hearing your bow or seeing the arrow.
If they are gonna stop or just continue walking slowly i just don't see the advantage to giving them any heads up

It was crazy this year I taped a few deer get shot that were alert. they just stood there until the arrow was more than 3/4 of the way there and then dropped about 6". That was crazy. Luckily since the deer were "looking jumpy" all the shots were aimed at the very, very bottom of the chest, so the arrow caught them mid/high lungs. Deer have great hearing and fast reaction times

nick atkis
April 17th, 2008, 12:49 PM
EXACTLY! I always laugh at these guys stopping deer that will present a shot anyway. All you are doing is priming the deer to jump the string. 9 times out of 10 a deer won't even react to the sound of a shot if they are relaxed, if you stop them they will jump the srting 9 times out of 10.

I think i have stopped 3 deer ever! They were all trotting through at a good clip. I was already on them and touching off the release as they slowed to a stop but didn't have time to fully stop and get nervous

What he said;

crazy4hunting
April 17th, 2008, 01:31 PM
why give a deer the heads up? doesn't make sense to me unless absolute last resort.

think tv does it more for camera work and "effect" more than anything else.

gun hunting ok but not with bow.

Why shoot at a moving deer? Why not get a window of time where your target is sitting still. I have nothing to prove by saying "i shot it while it was walking" that leads into "i think i hit it good but it may be farther back then i like" Heck watch all the hunting shows, even when alot of there deer are feeding thay are still pawing and shifting there legs around. One little baa and no more movement. As far as string jump, i really have not run into that yet, but as the old saying goes, aim low.

JC-XT
April 17th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Why shoot at a moving deer? Why not get a window of time where your target is sitting still. I have nothing to prove by saying "i shot it while it was walking" that leads into "i think i hit it good but it may be farther back then i like" Heck watch all the hunting shows, even when alot of there deer are feeding thay are still pawing and shifting there legs around. One little baa and no more movement. As far as string jump, i really have not run into that yet, but as the old saying goes, aim low.

The funny thing is those tv hunters you're talking about who you think do so great by stopping them are also famous for the "I hit him a little too far back" line. I've seen way too many deer missed or hit badly on tv because the hunters bleated at them and the deer were very quick to react to the sound of the bow.

I've also bowhunted for over 20 years myself and I've had much better luck shooting at deer that were unaware of my presence, even the ones that were walking. I'm not trying to "prove" anything, but a slowly moving deer within 20 yards is not a difficult shot if they don't know you're there. Bleating at them is fine and does work, but I just don't do it unless it's the last option.

deers08
April 17th, 2008, 06:32 PM
tried it on a deer birddogging a doe, big eight point. would not stop fully. shot at him slowly walking, 130 class buck. missed at 11 yards. needless to say that bow got tomahawked. not the smartest move but i was mad. at least it was a clean miss. this is the only time they did not stop for me. all other 10 deer did stop and drilled them

willie
April 17th, 2008, 07:28 PM
9 times out of 10 a deer won't even react to the sound of a shot if they are relaxed, if you stop them they will jump the srting 9 times out of 10.

Hmmm...... I've got a bunch of jumping the strings coming then to get to that average.

lungbuster601
April 17th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I usually make a grunting sound, or whistle........... It's the very last resort though.

rocklock
April 17th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I usually just give a little whistle...

Greg Krause
April 17th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Hmmm...... I've got a bunch of jumping the strings coming then to get to that average.

It's not a science and every deer will react differently. Different areas play a role too. For some reason in NY the deer almost never flinch, the same kind of low pressure private land i hunt in CT is the opposite. the deer, even when relaxed almost always drop at least a bit........big time if you give them any heads up.

chaser_2332
April 17th, 2008, 11:21 PM
i go with the classic FART noise..........stops um dead in their tracks:darkbeer:

hivoltg
April 18th, 2008, 12:25 AM
if you stop them they will jump the srting 9 times out of 10.

This is the most outlandish post in this whole thread. There is no way that is even a close ratio. I've shot a bunch of deer, from all over, in my time and never had ONE jump the string.

If you are just making a point, then that is fine. If this is really what you meant, I think you must do surveys for the government for a living.

Greg Krause
April 18th, 2008, 01:33 AM
This is the most outlandish post in this whole thread. There is no way that is even a close ratio. I've shot a bunch of deer, from all over, in my time and never had ONE jump the string.

If you are just making a point, then that is fine. If this is really what you meant, I think you must do surveys for the government for a living.

I did say it to make a point but i bet it's not that far off in some areas. If a deer is fully alert and under 25yds i can promise you it WILL jump the string 9 out of 10 times HERE. I prefer a fully relaxed deer at 30-35yds, they don't seem to even flinch, again that is here. I took 28 deer this year alone(legally) and any of the deer that were not relaxed "jumped the string" the relaxed ones barely ever budged and none over 30 moved at all. On a few I thought i just screwed up at hit high lungs or spine, but when i slowed the footage down they jumped the string. It was crazy because they didn't move until the arrow was about 3/4 of the way there and then would drop up to 8".......on 18-25yd shots!

My buddy lives and hunts upstate and on a fully relaxed deer he has to aim at the heart to hit high lungs, because they always drop at least a few inches. if the deer is fully alert than he will aim about 4" below the hair and get mid lungs.

TTS in PA
April 19th, 2008, 08:38 PM
It all depends on the situation. If they are just grazing acorns or crops I will wait for the shot to present itself.

If they are calmly walking by but obviously not going to stop I give the mouth bleat.

If they are running hard after a hot doe, I begin with the mouth bleat, then one very loud and then usually end up yelling "hey!" to get them to stop. The key to the call is already being at full draw ready to drop the string the second they stop.

Bingo. I donít make a sound if itís not needed, but hitting a still deer is easier than a moving one. I generally whistle, and while it often stops them, it's never spooked them.