PDA

View Full Version : Trek 4300 Disc, Giant Yukon or Cannondale F7???

3D-GURU
May 3rd, 2008, 10:01 PM
Hi guys, we are buying a new bike for my son (he is 13), and are looking at these three bikes. He likes all three, and is having a hard time making up his mind, even after riding them. Price is not an issue, as they are all very comparably priced. BTW, I am in Canada, so we are paying too much anyway:cry::cry:.

Can anybody help us out on their opinion of what the upsides, and downsides are of each bike???

Thanks,

Rob

Protecsafari
May 4th, 2008, 10:44 AM
My bud has the Trek, loves it, but he's not hardcore so dunno if his affection for it is fully deserved or based on anything critical.

We've ridden twice so far this year, he's had no issues with it.

mdewitt71
May 4th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I am an avid biker and use to be a mechanic/ dealer for a spell....
With that said, I won't say any of them are bad choices.
I would look at the componants on each bike and ensure your son will not outgrow the specific frame geometery too fast...
Giants are some of my favorite bikes, not real expensive and some of the models have alot of good solid Shimano componants on them.
I bought my wife a 4300 with a RockShox (Along with Marzocchi - some of the best forks in my opinion) for Mothers day, she loves it.

I think both models (Trek and Giant) have mechanical disk brakes and a mix of Shimano on them, I would lean toward the Giant for a Rockshox fork over the RST listed on the 4300 as well as the Suntour crankset on the Trek instead of a full Shimano setup on the Giant. (if I am thinking of the right models).

3D-GURU
May 4th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Thanks for your replies thus far guys.

Problem is, in the US, the Giant gets Rockshox, and up here, it doesn't!!:mad::mad: It is even in the catalogue with them, but when we asked the dealer, they told us that the "companies" often change components at their own free will, and often don't even say why. That is really the only reason that he wasn't sold completely on the Giant. When he rode it, he liked it best overall, but was not impressed with the front end, it seemed too spongy, compared to the Trek, even with the shocks tightened up all the way.

Thing is, the Giant offers better components in other areas like the crank and derailleurs.

What are people's feelings on the Cannondale?? It is just another model in the price ballpark, but doesn't come with discs, and the other components don't seem any better either:confused::confused:. My question then is "Why are they the same price?? Can the frames really be THAT much better??

Thanks again,

Rob

mdewitt71
May 4th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Cannondale to me is like a BMW or Mercedes in the car world (I have had both of these too:wink:), you are buying a name.

They are nice, don't get me wrong, but I would venture to say with the price of the Cannondale frames, the componants on the one you are looking at are way below the other two at that price.
If you dont get a Rockshox on the Giant it would make my decision on the Trek even more easier.

soflanut
May 8th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I have a Giant Trance 2 and my son has a Giant Boulder. Both bikes are almost bullet proof. I looked at the Trek 4300 for my son age 12 but for the price the Giant was a better buy. I don't know much about that Cannondale since I didn't look into them when I was pricing bikes.

If price isn't a problem have your son pick the one he likes since he will be riding it.