PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Ovens...just got a Lodge. Have you used one?

powerpoint9
May 16th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Just picked up a Lodge Logic 12" x 5". Looking forward to using it. I've never cooked with one and it looks like I'll enjoy it.

Lrgmouth
May 16th, 2008, 07:23 PM
When we go camping I commit one day to cooking in my Dutch oven.
I have a real good recipe for sausage peppers and onions with tomato sauce. I have to pay attention and drink several beers until its done. Its hard work but somebody has to do it.

powerpoint9
May 16th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Its hard work but somebody has to do it.

Poor thing!

Do you have the Lodge recipe book? I picked one up at Cabela's and then another came in my Dutch Oven. Lot's of recipes that sound good enough to eat whether your hungry or not!

Bunkster
May 16th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I don't know the recipe's but my dad makes the best cornbread with his dutch oven while camping. It is extraordinary.

ohiobowhunter75
May 17th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I've been using one for a few years.There are many great recipes out there.

Shadowchaser
May 18th, 2008, 10:21 AM
The most important thing about cast iron cooking such as a Lodge dutch oven is to ensure you have a good seasoned cookware. Pay close attention to how you season it (follow Lodge's instructions for this, they are quite adequate). Also, don't EVER use soap in your cast iron cookware, this negates the seasoning and you will have to re-season it to get it back to snuff. The best way I know to clean your cookware is to boil water in it after you are done cooking with it, scrub it out with any brass or copper scrub pad (the nylon works well too as long as the pot is not too hot to melt it), rinse thoroughly and fire dry your cookware. Many people place a light oil coating on their cookware but if you use it regularly this is not really necessary. Try not to use too much tomato sauce in your cookware as the acid in the tomatoes can harm your seasoning as well. Remember, rust is the enemy but it does not mean the end to your cookware, if rust develops merely remove the rust with a wire brush or other means and re-season. Your Lodge should give you many decades or reliable and enjoyable cooking. There are many sites with some great recipes and tips for cast iron cooking, just do a google search.

Yours,
Jack

P.S. - Did you get the one with the smooth top or with the raised rim around the perimeter of the lid? The raised rim allows for coals on top without getting ash in your food and a more even cook. The smooth top is more suited to cooking in the house oven IMHO although you can also use it on the fire as well.

powerpoint9
May 20th, 2008, 11:14 PM
P.S. - Did you get the one with the smooth top or with the raised rim around the perimeter of the lid? The raised rim allows for coals on top without getting ash in your food and a more even cook. The smooth top is more suited to cooking in the house oven IMHO although you can also use it on the fire as well.

I got the 8 qt. camping oven with three legs and the raise lip around the outer edge of the lid. I've used it the last couple of days and even my wife who is an exceptional cook with a family full of exceptional cooks enjoyed both meals. My boys are now excited about going camping and eating good food. We've used the coleman stove and will continue to use it. But the dutch oven really cooks things great.

mangler
May 20th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Congrats on the new dutch oven. I've got a few of them and the more you get into it the more addicting it becomes. There are alot of great websites out there with recipes but one of my favorites is byrons dutch oven cooking. The guy is more of a fanatic than I am with them. I've cooked pretty much all his recipes at one time or another and they are all good ones. here's the link to his site:

http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/dutch-oven-recipes.htm

elkkat
May 29th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I got the 8 qt. camping oven with three legs and the raise lip around the outer edge of the lid. I've used it the last couple of days and even my wife who is an exceptional cook with a family full of exceptional cooks enjoyed both meals. My boys are now excited about going camping and eating good food. We've used the coleman stove and will continue to use it. But the dutch oven really cooks things great.

Sounds like you got started. :tongue: I am heading out for a week to camp and will be using the dutch ovens. Now you need to get all your friends cooking and have dutch oven cookouts. One person makes say a Turkey, in the bottom oven and you start stacking them, with the potatoes, dressing, yams, pineapple upside down cake etc. :wink: We have had 8 ovens going at once. :)

Remember you can make anything you can make in the oven at home, so don't be afraid to try new things. :darkbeer:

John 2290
February 8th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Made chilli with bear burger as the meat. Cooked the biggest part of the day. Love the dutch oven, they're great! Seasoning the cookware is easy, I rub a coat of vegetable oil all over and bake it in the oven for 1 hr at 350 deg. Seems to work well.

SEAL Archer
February 9th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Not a lodge, but not camping either. This wood stove heats my upstairs office and I thought it was best not to waste the heat, so cooked venison stew while I worked. Not only was it good, cooked to perfection in a way only a cast iron pot could do, but it sure made my office smell good!

cbp135
February 9th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I started out with making the Pineapple Upside Down cake.....it's a great starter and everyone will love it. Use the yellow box of cake to begin with. I've made the Peach cobbler and the Apple Crisp......they turn our great every time. With a 12" Camp Dutch oven you'll need 16 on top and 8 charcoal briquettes on the bottom for most recipes. It's difficult to screw things up. I've cooked countless things in mine and they've all been a success.

smallgamehunter
February 9th, 2009, 10:22 PM
i have done alot of cooking in my dutch oven i even have one of the smalldutch ovens that comes with the candle in it from cabelas that i use when i go backpacking.

crawdads boil up quite nicely in a dutch oven and i have made several stews in mine just really depends on what u feel like cooking the sky is the limit

De-Gurl
February 13th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Even if you have a dutch oven without the raised ridge on the lid, you can put coals on top if you put them in a double-line foil pack. I did that one time when I needed to bake something and only had a regular lid.

camp cooking is an addiction!

kraven
February 13th, 2009, 05:13 PM
It really is an addiction.
If you have time, go to youtube or food network and watch some of Alton Brown's segments on the dutch oven.
He's brilliant and gives a lot of good ideas and tips for it.
here's one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfvj2hyHQXA

I love cooking with the dutch oven.

eyebrowcounter
June 5th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Lovin the oven! You will too.

elkkat
June 7th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Tried some new recipes last week, that everyone seemed to enjoy.

Rabbit with onions, ketchup, 7up and a little mustard.

Slow cooked it and it made a very nice sweet and sour type sauce. Not bad , for an unplanned rabbit hunt, turned after dinner snack.

My other invention was an enchalada casserole. Brown burger and combine enchalada sauce, nacho cheese soup, Jalapeno, in one pan. Then place a generous layer of corn tortillas in the dutch oven, then meat mixture and chedder cheese and repeat until meat mixture is gone. 3 lbs. of burger, 2 cans sauce 2 cans cheese soup, 24 tortillas, 1.5 lbs chedder, fed 10 hungry people in a 12 " oven. 4 charcoal briquettes under the oven and 15 on top for casserole. Cooked the casserole 40 minutes and the rabbit 1.5 hours, with only 3 briquettes on bottom 15 on top, but added 5 on top for the last 1/2 hour.

elkkat
June 7th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Even if you have a dutch oven without the raised ridge on the lid, you can put coals on top if you put them in a double-line foil pack. I did that one time when I needed to bake something and only had a regular lid.

camp cooking is an addiction!

Way to go. The thing I like best about camp cooking is how it brings out the Mc Guiver in you. :)

oakridgehunter
June 9th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Started out with one Lodge Dutch oven and ended up with a pickup load of ovens and accessories. My wife could make a seven course meal with her ovens and the taste was out of this world. Beware we had folks from all over the campground following the cooking smells into our camp. We made a lot of new friends and shared great times over those campfires. Almost forgot, we found a lot of helpful accessories from blacksmiths at encampments and reenactments.:) *Be sure to follow shadowchaser's suggestions, they are extremely important to cast iron cooking.